Okay, here's another what to buy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan'l Boone

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
ETA - I've been all over this board and others the past week

Currently running a refurb cheapie 14" Homelite, Dad has a Pioneer 1200A that still runs good but has seen better days, Brother has a MS180 that he bought in the past year.

We own 60 forested acres that we call a hunting camp, it's also the family get-away. We burn maybe 4 full cords a year indoors, and maybe another two outside sitting around the fire ring.

With the saws we own, we typically limit our prospective firewood to around 12", almost all hardwood (oak, hickory, beech) standing dead or fallen, on occasion we have to remove fallen trees from trails and roads that exceed 20". For instance, we had a 36" black oak fall across our driveway twenty foot from the gate, 1/2 mile from the cabin. We would have had to turn around for home had we not had the pioneer hidden safely in the cabin (don't ask).

I want a saw to replace the pioneer (it'll still reside at the cabin for emergencies), it's heavy and semi-hard to start especially in cold weather, we rarely get it out except when we need the bigger saw or find a surprise like the tree in the road.
I'm 40 and want a saw that'll last me 20-30 years, Dad's had the pioneer some 35 and it still does what we ask of it.
On occasion, I need the saw at home, Ike and this years ice storm called out the saw more than usual.

Plus, I just want a new saw and it's going to be a Stihl.

Here's my thoughts on the local dealer's in-stock:
A) MS290 20" - good price, heavy, bulky, I'm sure it would do what we need.
B) MS260 20" - a bit more, lighter, pro-saw, I like it.
C) MS361 20" - a bit more again, and would do more than I expect to ever need.
D) Save my money and use what we have, it's worked so far.

I can afford any of these but the MS361 is pushing it.

Last edited:
Save your money and keep your old saws running. If you decide to do some industrial forestry on your land, then the price of a new saw is warranted.

Of course, if you buy a new saw you'll be stimulating the economy...

Save your money and keep your old saws running. If you decide to do some industrial forestry on your land, then the price of a new saw is warranted.

Of course, if you buy a new saw you'll be stimulating the economy...
:agree2:

I always like your thoughts......of course I tend to agree with them. :laugh:

Dan'l,

Good ta have ya here!

Your logic is astounding. You guys need a good saw that runs reliably and will handle everything from little to the big stuff, but just once in a while.

The answer will be obvious when you think about it.

MS361.

Light enough for you to keep using when you get as old as your dad is now.

Robust enough to handle all the light work and still be reliable when you get as old as your dad is now.

Parts are common enough so that you can keep it running past when you are as old as your dad is now.

Power enough to clear the big stuff when you are as old as your dad is now, and wont have to grumble about buying a new fangled saw.

That crusty old Pioneer had the same things going for it when your Dad bought it. Why break a good tradition;).

Besides, nobody EVER regrets a MS361.... even us Husky phreaks.:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I always like your thoughts......of course I tend to agree with them. :laugh:

I was listening to a clip of an interview with Nancy Pelosi this morning. First she says the American public isn't saving enough money. Then, a few minutes later, she says we need to spend our money to stimulate the economy. Hmmm.

I think ultimately what it comes down to is that you're damned if you or if you don't. So you might as well buy quality tools while the getting is good. (I wonder if there's a tax credit available for buying a Strato-charged saw?)

Exactly, and you can't spend if you don't save. Generally if you save, you can get what you want rather than half-@$$ it and end up short changed.

If I were in your shoes, i'd run what you brung, until you've saved enough for the best that you think you will want or need. That's a general thought for anything in life......unless what you're after is in jeopardy......then throw all of what I said in the trash!! :D

Whatever you do, don't buy the MS290. It will give
you cancer which can only be cured by a MS361 or a Husky
XP of your choice.

Dan'l,

Good ta have ya here!

Your logic is astounding. You guys need a good saw that runs reliably and will handle everything from little to the big stuff, but just once in a while.

The answer will be obvious when you think about it.

MS361.

Light enough for you to keep using when you get as old as your dad is now.

Robust enough to handle all the light work and still be reliable when you get as old as your dad is now.

Parts are common enough so that you can keep it running past when you are as old as your dad is now.

Power enough to clear the big stuff when you are as old as your dad is now, and wont have to grumble about buying a new fangled saw.

That crusty old Pioneer had the same things going for it when your Dad bought it. Why break a good tradition;).

Besides, nobody EVER regrets a MS361.... even us Husky phreaks.:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

:agree2:

359, cost alittle less than the 361 , has air injection has pro pop off top cover has pro antivide. pulls a 16-24" chain very well. has a see through visible fuel tank so you can see if your about out of fuel, has decompression button for easier starts. i feel the choke start stop switch works better than stihl, thats just personell prefrence. ohhh and its tiny bit hair lighter.

you can get this saw with 24" bar and a 20" bar for what youl spend on just a 20" set up on the 361

359, cost alittle less than the 361 , has air injection has pro pop off top cover has pro antivide. pulls a 16-24" chain very well. has a see through visible fuel tank so you can see if your about out of fuel, has decompression button for easier starts. i feel the choke start stop switch works better than stihl, thats just personell prefrence. ohhh and its tiny bit hair lighter.

you can get this saw with 24" bar and a 20" bar for what youl spend on just a 20" set up on the 361

Did you miss where the OP said "it's going to be a Stihl"??? :monkey:

i just wanted to show that there could be a better option out there for the money

I was listening to a clip of an interview with Nancy Pelosi this morning. First she says the American public isn't saving enough money. Then, a few minutes later, she says we need to spend our money to stimulate the economy. Hmmm.

I think ultimately what it comes down to is that you're damned if you or if you don't. So you might as well buy quality tools while the getting is good. (I wonder if there's a tax credit available for buying a Strato-charged saw?)

Sound bites that argue both sides. That's politics. However, chainsaw sales should be fairly brisk over the next few months. I'm still trying to figure out why moving chainsaws away from 2 strokes is going to save the world.

I vote for the 361 and be done with it for a while. A 60cc saw is a great "all arounder", although a 260 would get you by. I like to buy things and be done with it.

Mark

SOUNDS LIKE YOUR SET ON A STIHL. I HAVE ORDERED A 346XP I TRIED ALL 3
AND I LIKE THE 346XP THE BEST .5 LESS HP THAN THE 361 AND A POUND LIGHTER, JUST A THOUGHT.:cheers:
---------------CC HP LBS
STIHL MS260 50.2 3.2 10.6
STIHL MS361 59.0 4.2 12.1
HUSKY 346XP 50.1 3.7 11.0

attachment.php

i like both husky and stihl these are my toys, 359 has tacked 330" plus trees with the 24" bar 026 has takn down and bucked an 18" tree, both very good saws

359 is my hotrod and runs a 20" bar when in lots of 20" sized wood, it cuts very fast. it also cuts very fast in 24" wood. wearing the 24" bar

Wow, 330" tree??:)

I can always use my brothers MS180 for light work, and the little homelight is still going.

I'm leaning to the 361, I don't want to regret being underpowered.

ETA -
Plus, I just want a new saw and it's going to be a Stihl.

Here's my thoughts on the local dealer's in-stock:
A) MS290 20" - good price, heavy, bulky, I'm sure it would do what we need.
B) MS260 20" - a bit more, lighter, pro-saw, I like it.
C) MS361 20" - a bit more again, and would do more than I expect to ever need.
D) Save my money and use what we have, it's worked so far.

If saving money is the most important factor, then get the ms290.

If saving money is not the most important, then look at the ms270/280.

The ms270 is the best firewood/mid-level use saw out there for the money. It has more power and a better vibration dampening technology than the ms260. It is lighter and has better AV than the ms290. You will NOT be disappointed with an ms270.

The ms361 sounds like more saw than you need, but it will definitely put a grin on your face if you want to spend the cash. :clap: Plus you can run a 25" bar should you ever need it.

The ms260 is NOT worth the extra money over the ms290 or ms270 for a part time wood cutter. You are going to spend $$$ on features you will likely never notice, but then again it is always nice to have quality tools.

Good luck. Decide fast and never come back for fear of CAD! :chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back