Okay, I give up. What am I doing wrong with my chain sharpening.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always wondered where the color differences of that cutting tooth comes from - it looks odd to me, and it doesn't look sharp either? :msp_confused:

If you only knew just how sharp it is;)

On this one we couldnt agree more...that pic to my eye looks like the outside of the tooth...I relize now that its still from under the tooth.

The photo is taken directly from the side. It shows everything but the opposite of the side plate.

The colors and contrast in that photo came from using three different light sources to light the subject, two of them not being white light.

Here is the original. The edge was not made by me. It was made by a former member here on a grinder set up to make fast chain.

square by zweitakt250, on Flickr

The dark orange area at the top is the surface of the top plate.

I assure you, that tooth is sharper than most have ever seen.

If you only knew just how sharp it is;)

The photo is taken directly from the side. It shows everything but the opposite of the side plate.

I assure you, that tooth is sharper than most have ever seen.

The sig pic seems to have been cropped or shoved down below the sig area of your pages recently. Looks weird.

BTW, I had the pleasure of running a chain that looked like that (minus the photo staging and multi-angle lighting) on a highly modded 361 at a GTG this summer. Yikes!

I'll take your word for the one in your sig being just as sharp!

:cheers:

Hey...

What happened to the OP?

:popcorn:

The sig pic seems to have been cropped or shoved down below the sig area of your pages recently. Looks weird.

BTW, I had the pleasure of running a chain that looked like that (minus the photo staging and multi-angle lighting) on a highly modded 361 at a GTG this summer. Yikes!

I'll take your word for the one in your sig being just as sharp!

:cheers:

Hey...

What happened to the OP?

:popcorn:

The sigpic is heavily cropped and resized. AS limits on the sigpics;)

I bang the filings of agaist a wooden surface, or use a brush to clean them. I have no idea what a "file card" is ( live and learn:D).

ETFCL751.jpg

On free handing

Free handing takes time to learn. Usually learned best on the job. I have found that the best for me is a truck mounted vise. Next is setting on the ground with legs wrapped around the saw to hold steady. You need to find what's comfortable for you. Use a guide to show you the correct angles but in the long run you will have a better feel freehanding. Consistency is what your striving for. I hand file most of the time. You appear to have a chain with moderate to severe damage. With a chain that damaged the quicker you fix it the better. Your rakers also appear in the pictures to need lowering and profiled. If you continue to run it your killing your saw and the chain will receive more damage. Counting stokes is not a good indicator of how much your are taking off. I do use a grinder occasionally, but its not handy. I like to use it to correct the length of cutters. I run through the chain and find the shortest cutter length. Then try to grinder the chain to that overall length. While this won't actually make the chain sharper it makes the chain cut way smoother than short and long cutters. You are on the right track asking questions here. I wish I could have accessed this site 20+ years ago. Would have made my life easier. I have learned more from these guys in the last couple years than in the previous 18 about saws and etc. Heck I learned last week that I could file from the outside in on full chisel chain with a round file. And guess what it works and actually made my freehanding better. Carry on :msp_thumbup:

Back