Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX GTG (Next GTG 08/27/2016 ) Fort Scott, KS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only game at Jeff's was a 32" x .404" bar. Jeff made up a loop of chipper for it and back home to put it on.
Pottlikker messed up the driver count (105) as what I got home with is a mile too long.
Not just one or two mind you but, six to ten! Yikes!!

Inches away from buying the breaker spinner at Harbor Freight just to save mileage!

Afternoon, Carl yall got the levy set up. Looks like it's comin at ya good luck. We can't stand much down here in s.w.mo we need a couple wk. Reprieve.

Had a memorial service for my last Grandparent today. Her name was Nellie. She was 94 and lived a good life. The last 10-15 yrs were pretty tough. Her mind failed her unfortunately. I still remember going to her hen house and getting fresh eggs for breakfast when I was a kid and drinking milk straight from the cow. She is the reason I started eating tomato's. I hated them until I tried one of her home grown ones. She made the best pies I have ever eaten. Pumpkin, apple, raisin, coconut cream, lemon, and strawberry rhubarb were the ones I remember most. She put a stick of butter in the pumpkin pie (try it some time, I dare you).....my Dad used to say, "You get some of that on your forehead and your tongue will beat you to death trying to get to it." Her crust was fantastic (2nd to none); and she passed the secrets down to my wife :) She canned tomatoes, green beans, corn, pickles, and anything else that came from the earth. Her pickled beets were the best, nice and sweet, almost like candy or dessert. Most of the ones I try now just get spit back on the plate after eating hers for so many years. Still haven't found any as good as hers.

She could pick cotton and shuck corn with any man alive. She could catch, clean, and fry crappie for 10 or more all in one day. My dad would haul hay all day as a kid and Grandma would cook him a whole chicken. She would ring the neck, pluck the feathers, dress it, and fry it up....By the time I came around we just bought the chicken at the store, but it was damn good anyway; especially with her homemade gravy and potatoes, home grown tomatoes, green beans, and pie.

She was half Creek Indian and according to my Dad, could be mean as the devil. I never saw that side. She called me "her baby" my whole life. I told her one time, in my late teens, "I am not your baby anymore Grandma", to which she replied, "Oh yes you are, you will always be my baby".

Nellie was baptized later on in life (at the age of 75-76) so I will see her again some day; maybe we will have another chicken leg, sliced tomato, and a piece of pie.

Just wanted to share my Grandma with you guys...

Had a memorial service for my last Grandparent today. Her name was Nellie. She was 94 and lived a good life. The last 10-15 yrs were pretty tough. Her mind failed her unfortunately. I still remember going to her hen house and getting fresh eggs for breakfast when I was a kid and drinking milk straight from the cow. She is the reason I started eating tomato's. I hated them until I tried one of her home grown ones. She made the best pies I have ever eaten. Pumpkin, apple, raisin, coconut cream, lemon, and strawberry rhubarb were the ones I remember most. She put a stick of butter in the pumpkin pie (try it some time, I dare you).....my Dad used to say, "You get some of that on your forehead and your tongue will beat you to death trying to get to it." Her crust was fantastic (2nd to none); and she passed the secrets down to my wife :) She canned tomatoes, green beans, corn, pickles, and anything else that came from the earth. Her pickled beets were the best, nice and sweet, almost like candy or dessert. Most of the ones I try now just get spit back on the plate after eating hers for so many years. Still haven't found any as good as hers.

She could pick cotton and shuck corn with any man alive. She could catch, clean, and fry crappie for 10 or more all in one day. My dad would haul hay all day as a kid and Grandma would cook him a whole chicken. She would ring the neck, pluck the feathers, dress it, and fry it up....By the time I came around we just bought the chicken at the store, but it was damn good anyway; especially with her homemade gravy and potatoes, home grown tomatoes, green beans, and pie.

She was half Creek Indian and according to my Dad, could be mean as the devil. I never saw that side. She called me "her baby" my whole life. I told her one time, in my late teens, "I am not your baby anymore Grandma", to which she replied, "Oh yes you are, you will always be my baby".

Nellie was baptized later on in life (at the age of 75-76) so I will see her again some day; maybe we will have another chicken leg, sliced tomato, and a piece of pie.

That was a great way to honor your Grandmother, Thomas. Thank you!

The boys and I tried out the new G Allis today, plowing under the first picking of corn.
IMG_20150706_184440_895.jpg

Thomas?
That was one of the best testaments to a grandma's life I've ever read.
She'd blush with pride over knowing what an impact she had on a grandson's life.
We should all strive to have such influence on our future generations.
Selflessness is not near as common as it used to be.
Good on Nellie...

Latest posts

Back