Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX GTG (Next GTG 08/27/2016 ) Fort Scott, KS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a memorial service for my last Grandparent today. Her name was Nellie. She was 94 and lived a good life. The last 10-15 yrs were pretty tough. Her mind failed her unfortunately. I still remember going to her hen house and getting fresh eggs for breakfast when I was a kid and drinking milk straight from the cow. She is the reason I started eating tomato's. I hated them until I tried one of her home grown ones. She made the best pies I have ever eaten. Pumpkin, apple, raisin, coconut cream, lemon, and strawberry rhubarb were the ones I remember most. She put a stick of butter in the pumpkin pie (try it some time, I dare you).....my Dad used to say, "You get some of that on your forehead and your tongue will beat you to death trying to get to it." Her crust was fantastic (2nd to none); and she passed the secrets down to my wife :) She canned tomatoes, green beans, corn, pickles, and anything else that came from the earth. Her pickled beets were the best, nice and sweet, almost like candy or dessert. Most of the ones I try now just get spit back on the plate after eating hers for so many years. Still haven't found any as good as hers.

She could pick cotton and shuck corn with any man alive. She could catch, clean, and fry crappie for 10 or more all in one day. My dad would haul hay all day as a kid and Grandma would cook him a whole chicken. She would ring the neck, pluck the feathers, dress it, and fry it up....By the time I came around we just bought the chicken at the store, but it was damn good anyway; especially with her homemade gravy and potatoes, home grown tomatoes, green beans, and pie.

She was half Creek Indian and according to my Dad, could be mean as the devil. I never saw that side. She called me "her baby" my whole life. I told her one time, in my late teens, "I am not your baby anymore Grandma", to which she replied, "Oh yes you are, you will always be my baby".

Nellie was baptized later on in life (at the age of 75-76) so I will see her again some day; maybe we will have another chicken leg, sliced tomato, and a piece of pie.

Just wanted to share my Grandma with you guys...
thanks for sharing her with us, sadly I wasnt able to be real close with my grandma's, they did know i loved them, but i was a odd little kid
(was happy to be by myself) but i did find peace with mom's mom and when she was on her death bed she came out of a mild coma to sing amazing grace
while i was singing it to her... it was faint but you could tell she knew that song :)

My paternal grandmother made rubarb pie that was like eating candy with a pastry handle.
my grandma clarkson made blackberry pie that was so solid you could hold a peice and eat it, it was really good. and they grew huge beets they were good fresh out of the garden
and alot of other stuff...... om nom nom :)

Had a memorial service for my last Grandparent today. Her name was Nellie. She was 94 and lived a good life. The last 10-15 yrs were pretty tough. Her mind failed her unfortunately. I still remember going to her hen house and getting fresh eggs for breakfast when I was a kid and drinking milk straight from the cow. She is the reason I started eating tomato's. I hated them until I tried one of her home grown ones. She made the best pies I have ever eaten. Pumpkin, apple, raisin, coconut cream, lemon, and strawberry rhubarb were the ones I remember most. She put a stick of butter in the pumpkin pie (try it some time, I dare you).....my Dad used to say, "You get some of that on your forehead and your tongue will beat you to death trying to get to it." Her crust was fantastic (2nd to none); and she passed the secrets down to my wife :) She canned tomatoes, green beans, corn, pickles, and anything else that came from the earth. Her pickled beets were the best, nice and sweet, almost like candy or dessert. Most of the ones I try now just get spit back on the plate after eating hers for so many years. Still haven't found any as good as hers.

She could pick cotton and shuck corn with any man alive. She could catch, clean, and fry crappie for 10 or more all in one day. My dad would haul hay all day as a kid and Grandma would cook him a whole chicken. She would ring the neck, pluck the feathers, dress it, and fry it up....By the time I came around we just bought the chicken at the store, but it was damn good anyway; especially with her homemade gravy and potatoes, home grown tomatoes, green beans, and pie.

She was half Creek Indian and according to my Dad, could be mean as the devil. I never saw that side. She called me "her baby" my whole life. I told her one time, in my late teens, "I am not your baby anymore Grandma", to which she replied, "Oh yes you are, you will always be my baby".

Nellie was baptized later on in life (at the age of 75-76) so I will see her again some day; maybe we will have another chicken leg, sliced tomato, and a piece of pie.

Just wanted to share my Grandma with you guys...

That was a great way to honor your Grandmother, Thomas. Thank you!

The boys and I tried out the new G Allis today, plowing under the first picking of corn.
View attachment 434364

Thomas?
That was one of the best testaments to a grandma's life I've ever read.
She'd blush with pride over knowing what an impact she had on a grandson's life.
We should all strive to have such influence on our future generations.
Selflessness is not near as common as it used to be.
Good on Nellie...

Not many in our world left like that Thomas. your grand mother and mine are in a better place,visiting about the changes they saw in there lifetime

Morning folks. The rain skipped over us last night, and it's just barely drizzling right now. The break has been nice. I was able to get some nesting boxes and roosts built and installed in the building I'll be using for a chicken coop over the weekend. Hope to get a few birds in the next week or so.

Thomas - Great story! Thanks for sharing. She'd be proud to read your words for sure.

be9ddc6011bdcd0a319372385fdcae34.jpg
right here I'm working on a tree fiddy jigsaw puzzle....

Hey!! Where is everybody?

Need something LARGE to cut up with the big Stihl. I want to have some fun before sending it to Nebraska.

The 394 is acting wonky. Hard to start among other things. Will revisit the carb.
Carl, can you get a sprocket for an xl2 that runs 3/8 lo pro? this saw im fixing has 1/4 chain.......
it sucks

Well I also have a very dear one pass on July 3rd. My 25 year old Son in Law Jacob Bradley was found dead in his bathroom. Many of you on this thread may have met him along with my oldest daughter at gtgs they would always bring my grandkids to see me. Unfortunately they had been having a rough spell and been separated for about a month, which is making things a little rough at this time. He was a great father and husband and I am especially glad that God brought him into our lives. There wasn't many times in the past few years that I had been out to cut wood or work on something where it was anyone but him by my side. I miss him immensely and am proud to have had him as my son for the short time that I was given with him. Life is a precious gift. Grab the ones you love and tell them how much every chance you get because as the word tell us life is but a vapor that appears for a little while but then vanishes away. Although I am sorry that his has vanished so soon I am am greatful that I will see him again. we are never ashamed of the gospel in this family for it is the power of God unto salvation and I had the opportunity to make sure he knew the good news.....we love you Jake and can't wait to see you again.!
06b561420f778819bad2a54d6b55a446.jpg

Carl, can you get a sprocket for an xl2 that runs 3/8 lo pro? this saw im fixing has 1/4 chain.......
it sucks
Actually the 3/8" lp x 6 is more common on them. Shop evilbay.

What I do have is a couple 1/4" x 12" NOS Homie bars you are welcome to.

Check on 1/4" with your neighbor the carver guy.

Latest posts

Back