Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX GTG (Next GTG 08/27/2016 ) Fort Scott, KS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morning all!

IMG_0116.JPG
Finally getting to a point where I can start on the pile of logs. Positioned the splitter & log bucking trailer under an Elm tree, load the bucking trailer up with 18 - 24" diameter logs, and cut them into rounds. Started the splitter up & around 5 seconds later heard a soft clunk & the splitter died. It turned freely but had no spark. Pulled the recoil housing off thinking maybe one end of the coil had some how loosened up & got sucked up to the the fly wheel there by losing the gap/spark. Rare but could happen. Well I was close, it was definitely a coil problem but not what I expected. Apparently the magnet on the flywheel came apart & jammed against the coil which broke the coil & tore the the coil mount off the cylinder side. I haven't ever heard of magnets failing on flywheels before this..

New flywheel, cylinder wall & coil = cost of new engine. Well close enough, so off to Harbor Freight I went. 13 hp is the smallest electric start they now carry so I upgraded to a 13 hp from the 11 hp it previously had. On sale for $360 with 20% off + tax it was around $310. Overkill!!! With a 16 gpm 2 stage pump it only needs an 8 hp but I do like having electric start as an option, especially during the deep winter when the oil is cold & stiff.

Hear is a question for folks. Below the valve cover is a black plastic box 2" square x 4" long. On one end 2 hoses come out, one to the air cleaner & one to the carburetor. the other end has a 1/2" nipple with a barb which could have a 5/16" hose attached to. Next to the barbed nipple "ATM" is molded into the plastic. It is not shown in the parts diagram or mentioned in the documentation. I am guessing it is some type of emissions add-on to meet CARB requirements. This is a perfect place for a mud dobber wasp to plug up. Do I add a short piece of hose with some bronze wool in it to make a breather to protect? Will it create too much resistance if I do? If it is for breathing, why even have a barb, why not just an opening?

There are also 2 different orifices included for adjusting the fuel in the carburetor for different altitudes. First time I have seen this option as well.
IMG_0117.JPG
IMG_0118.JPG

Morning all, waiting for the fog to burn off, it's going to be a cool day for July. John I have worked on hundreds of small engines and have never seen a external magnet come loose. But I guess there's a first time for every thing.

It was a "Greyhound" from Harbor Freight. Started with 1-2 pulls unless I had flooded it by moving it around without shutting off the fuel first. Again I have no complaints, just one of those freak things.

Scored this beastly black oak yesterday. The big pieces are about 3800 to 4200 lbs each. Thanks xtreme tree!

7ahugeme.jpg

u4a8yqyj.jpg

py7uzyze.jpg

e7esapu6.jpg

3uvyhyry.jpg

Next to the barbed nipple "ATM" is molded into the plastic. It is not shown in the parts diagram or mentioned in the documentation. I am guessing it is some type of emissions add-on to meet CARB requirements. This is a perfect place for a mud dobber wasp to plug up. Do I add a short piece of hose with some bronze wool in it to make a breather to protect? Will it create too much resistance if I do? If it is for breathing, why even have a barb, why not just an opening?

ATMosphere.

I'd use some air cleaner foam. :)

Sawnami, thanks for the clarification. I will go with a 1" length of hose with the bronze wool since I have it on hand but thanks for the suggestion.

The Farmsaw is a sweetheart. Turned the chain around from backwards! Yikes! Dumped the old fuel (water in it. Yikes! again). Filled with fresh and toped up the oil tank. Started it six or eight pulls and away he went. The chain needs sharpened (done it) because all we could give the test log was a good rubbin'. 20" bar and not 18" like the seller claimed. Tinker with rakers in the morning and blow more rust out of the muffler. Whoopeeeee...................

IMG_0132 (Copy).JPG

The Farmsaw is a sweetheart. Turned the chain around from backwards! Yikes! Dumped the old fuel (water in it. Yikes! again). Filled with fresh and toped up the oil tank. Started it six or eight pulls and away he went. The chain needs sharpened (done it) because all we could give the test log was a good rubbin'. 20" bar and not 18" like the seller claimed. Tinker with rakers in the morning and blow more rust out of the muffler. Whoopeeeee...................

View attachment 361775
nice!!!

Latest posts

Back