Old Bar Wrenches?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can still get a bar wrench for the old JReds? They have a 15mm bar nut, and I can not seem to find one anywhere.

I was going to tell you to go to a bicycle shop and ask for a 15mm "peanut butter wrench", but after a little searching, I find that the Campagnolo wrench sells for $30, and Park Tool no longer shows one on their web site. I suppose you could always get a 1/4" drive breaker bar and a 15mm socket for a lot less than $30.

I was going to tell you to go to a bicycle shop and ask for a 15mm "peanut butter wrench", but after a little searching, I find that the Campagnolo wrench sells for $30, and Park Tool no longer shows one on their web site. I suppose you could always get a 1/4" drive breaker bar and a 15mm socket for a lot less than $30.

Thanks for the tip, but yeah I can get a lot of box wrenches for $30. :cheers:

Never had one that fit - I use other tools.....

I have never come across one, and my dad has always used a box wrench for it. He is not sure if he ever had one.

I have the standard wrench and the ones for the pioneers but not one for the old JReds. I would like to have one not necessarily for functional purposes, but more for collection purposes if that makes sense. :cheers:

My suggestion is scratch build one.

Get a cheap china socket set. And a long handled screw driver. Pick the two sizes you want. Cut the handle off the screwdriver. Weld the sockets on the blunt end of the screwdriver. If you grind the corners on the sockets, then you should be able to fit four sockets on the top. It will be like a 4 square at the top. That way, you would have a scrench that will fit all, or most of your saws.

Cost probability under $10

Campagnolo part for $30, is it used? Did'nt think anything from them was cheep!

idea

just replace the bar nutz with new ones for newer husky sawz. i do this to jreds i get to to work on:givebeer:

Campagnolo part for $30, is it used? Did'nt think anything from them was cheep!

$30 is very expensive for a tool like this IMO.
25 years ago, I thought they were expensive at $10, so I bought an ATD instead of a Campy, I think I paid $3 for it. Can't find the ATD or Park versions now. I'd buy that scrench from Oregon, or a Crapsman 13x15mm offset box end.

They're easy to get but not very many places stock them. I can get you one easy.

Thanks Spike!

just replace the bar nutz with new ones for newer husky sawz. i do this to jreds i get to to work on:givebeer:

The bar studs are much bigger on the old saws.

You would for the larger saws (621, 70E, etc), but the smaller ones (52, 49SP, etc) use a smaller stud.

What he said. The smaller saws all have "normal" bar nuts on them and can use any Husky wrench. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back