Old bars, what do you do with them?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got an old wore out 20" bar for an 084/088. I've thought of making an engine stand out of it (for an 084/088). I wonder what Stihl gets for a new saw stand?

If they are solid you definitely can make knives out of them. I made a couple knives to flesh deer hides, out of some old table saw blades and some osage orange wood for handles. They work and look great.

I cut the blades with a plasma cutter and then ground them down with an angle grinder working down to 150 grit. I then looked up how to harden and temper them online. It wasn't as complicated as I thought it would be. I buffed and polished them before I heat treated them and then I epoxied on the handles and attached them with homemade brass rivets.

Scrap the laminated ones I guess.

Some body might want to buy them for use as knife blanks. Put them on Craigslist.

Here is a picture of one of the knives I made. It is a bad picture and the blade needs to be polished as I put it away dirty and the steel has become a little tarnished. It was my first attempt at knife making and the knife cuts and holds an edge really well and is nicely balanced. I plan on making a set of kitchen knives when I find the right steel. i love making things out of other peoples junk.

Old worn out bars, along with broken rusty 7/8 bolts are great for when some @$$hole decides to tailgate you with the hi beams on...

a pocket full of all bearing in your vest when you are on the harley works pretty good to....someone riding your *ss, just reach in your pocket and let a couple roll out of your hand...problem solved.

Back