OLD home made log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoj99

Reaction score
Many years ago we mounted a 1947 English ford engine to a old car frame, mounted a reservoir, pump and ram from an old small dozer, and jury rigged a starter switch. I recently had the starter rebuilt and put in on yesterday the engine cranked and ran GREAT. In the past this unit could split a car in half however yesterday it would not split a 10" log. The ram locked the log and moved forward and back but with little pressure. This unit has sat outside unused for 2 years I am wondering if there is air trapped in the lines (never openned) or the pump is bad or the ram is shot internally. ANY AND ALL HELP would be appreciated. I'D POST A PICTURE BUT IT WOULD BE EMBARRASING

Hoj99

Forum rules

101.1a You must post pictures of homemade splitters BEFORE any questions are answered.

And if your from New Jersey, you must supply forum members with beer : )

Many years ago we mounted a 1947 English ford engine to a old car frame, mounted a reservoir, pump and ram from an old small dozer, and jury rigged a starter switch. I recently had the starter rebuilt and put in on yesterday the engine cranked and ran GREAT. In the past this unit could split a car in half however yesterday it would not split a 10" log. The ram locked the log and moved forward and back but with little pressure. This unit has sat outside unused for 2 years I am wondering if there is air trapped in the lines (never openned) or the pump is bad or the ram is shot internally. ANY AND ALL HELP would be appreciated. I'D POST A PICTURE BUT IT WOULD BE EMBARRASING

Hoj99

We like the things that are different from the run of the mill. Pictures are welcomed. Inquiring minds and others want to know! :) I'm wondering if the pump had moisture in it and was damaged from sitting.

Could be many things

Maybe the valve spool is not cycling all the way. Maybe the pressure relief valve is stuck open partially.Could have a tank full of water with minimal oil remaining.
Many variables.. Photos may not help us with a diagnosis, but they are always neat to look at.

log splitter pics

Don't have on digital --will get

just hope ram or pump is not the problem hoping for water or air???

Hoj99

I agree with living in NJ --not the greatest but more job ops here for now!

TX 4 replys!!!

Mine got weak like that one time and it was the piston seal, which was easy to determine. Do you have a gauge on that bad boy anywhere? Lets get those pics up!

Latest posts

Back