Old JD 50V saw; won't run long

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does it still smoke if you dump all the bar oil out?

On my 91 it runs great with little smoke until I fill it with bar oil. Then it smokes like crazy. I havent had time to tear into it to fix that yet.

Most spark testers just have a wider gap for the spark to jump. Take
an older plug, test it on the saw. If it sparks, widen the gap by bending the electrode out 1/8 of an inch and test again. My tester is probably closer
to 1/4 inch wide, see if your saw can jump that.

As Brad has said earlier and I find in over 50% of the rebuilds that come my way the needle and seat are to blame. Did you change the needle valve and check the seat closely. Sometimes the spring under the metering lever is weak or bent and this will allow fuel to leak past even a new needle.
Let us know how you make out. Pioneerguy600

So again, I am the only one steering toward the ignition???

Did not the running totally out of fuel test help my case??

I guess not... Yes by all means, buy a new carb, totally tear down the saw and do a pressure test, put in some Marvel Mystery oil, rub some synthetic
sunscreen on the dam thing.

I will give up trying.

I developed the "run it dry" test a while back. A normal saw, that is running
poorly, will race/speed up when the fuel is running out. If not, then the problem is not fuel/air related. Since this saw is older than the owner,
I strongly suggest he look at the ignition system, as that is/has been the
crux of many long goose chases here, do a search.

But otherwise, I am done here. I have a guy here locally that has the seals,
carb, etc, if you have a lot of cash.

I am not saying definitively, that the points are the problem, but they
should not be overlooked, or poo-poo ed.
Do a search. You have taken the carb off enough, to at least heed
my posts, eh???

But Giada is still on, so never mind..................................

Hey Fish, I am not discounting your advice. Don't laugh, but where are the points on this saw? All I see is what looks like an ignition module. Are you referring to the same type of points used on cars back in the 70's/80's. My saw does not seem to have that.

Like I said, I am pretty sure I ruined the threads on the lo speed jet and now the needle can't go far enough into the hole to limit fuel flow. That is why I am getting fuel leakage while starting it and at idle. I am going to buy a #6-40 tap to chase it out (grease on the tap to collect chips).

Even though I can see a spark, maybe it is not hot enough?

And no, the saw is not older than me, but I definitely run better!

Hey Pioneer....I have triple checked the meter valve and seat under magnification. Both look good. Spring is working well. As I said before, after I bent the metering arm to be flush with the carb body interior it seemed to run better-at least it would idle continuously (even though it sounded like a big block Chevy with high lift cam).

Last edited:
If it has points

They will be under the flywheel......I think they came both ways

See if there is a wire coming from behind the flywheel that is connected to both the coil and the on off switch......

The electronic only has a wire from the coil to the switch

They will be under the flywheel......I think they came both ways

See if there is a wire coming from behind the flywheel that is connected to both the coil and the on off switch......

The electronic only has a wire from the coil to the switch

Being a child from that era, I came both ways as well. I like skinny busty
chicks, better than the plump ones, but heck, who cares? as long as they
are Lutheren.............................. Well pentecostals are a bit noisier, many
are blonde/don't know why.....

You new englanders, do you have a "Hooters"? up there??

Are they wearing down coats??? You see green grass in June???

Do the Hooter girls have tans up there?

I will need to get a puller to get the flywheel off. The spark plug wire is coming from the coil. The other wire I am not sure....might be from the points if they are under the flywheel. Be back in a few days.

Thanks all for your help so far. With your help this saw will be running soon.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back