old school wound paint

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvthetrobag

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Whatever happened to painting wounds? Heard it was found to be a bad thing but was common 25 years ago.

Whatever happened to painting wounds? Heard it was found to be a bad thing but was common 25 years ago.

Back in the day. lol guess I'm an old guy. I had to paint cuts. let me tell ya what a PITA, having to carry a paint pot,getting that crap all over,ropes, hair, everywhere. then the best is forget to paint one cut and have to go back up. The trees always looked nicer with the cuts painted after pruning.

Back in the day. lol guess I'm an old guy. I had to paint cuts. let me tell ya what a PITA, having to carry a paint pot,getting that crap all over,ropes, hair, everywhere. then the best is forget to paint one cut and have to go back up. The trees always looked nicer with the cuts painted after pruning.[/i heard it was bad for the tree

Yep it's bad. We couldn't wait to tell customers it was bad so we didn't have to paint anymore. we even had a paper from Penn state that we carried saying it was no longer necessary to paint cuts, and was actually harmful to the tree. Did I say I hate painting cuts :hmm3grin2orange:

in what I have gathered, there are two reasons.
to prevent disease transmission, ie. pruning a red oak during the active oak wilt season. make the cut with sterile saw and imediately paint. the prevent of the disease is more important than the harm to wound closure, trapped moisture etc.
and esthetics for the customer

You have to talk about the 2 kinds of paint to make this a complete discussion:

The paints for Red oak (et. al.) today are just paint. They will not harm other trees, but don't offer benefit besides aesthetics or some other warm fuzzy feeling.

Tar back in the day (and still in some people's day now...) does harm because it traps mositure and makes great insect habitat.

does harm because it traps mositure and makes great insect habitat.

I agree.i also think that the smell from any new "paint" crap invites insects.

I have heard horror stories from the big green (aka orange cream color and all sorts of alias')of havin brushes on the end of the hot sticks and manual polesaws to paint cuts..........ewww i just cringe......

Yep it's bad. We couldn't wait to tell customers it was bad so we didn't have to paint anymore. we even had a paper from Penn state that we carried saying it was no longer necessary to paint cuts, and was actually harmful to the tree. Did I say I hate painting cuts :hmm3grin2orange:

Do you have that paper? I was requested yesterday I seal our wounds by some 80 yr old stubborn man and it would of been nice to show him some sort of document to back me up when I told him studies have shown ill effects of painting wounds

Do you have that paper? I was requested yesterday I seal our wounds by some 80 yr old stubborn man and it would of been nice to show him some sort of document to back me up when I told him studies have shown ill effects of painting wounds

Sorry I don't have it but Chapter 41 Page 530 In Alex Shigos New tree biology has some info if you have that book.

Latest posts

Back