Old stihl rescue! 056

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yorkie_chris

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've got what I think is an 056, looking a little sorry for itself.

Could anyone help ID it? If it is in fact an 056, if so which particular sub model.

It's S/N E7982144 and it does have a chain brake. "Made in West Germany" at least the flywheel cover says!

The model sticker from the top is long gone!

It's definitely picked up in the bore, so the top end needs to come off anyway so I'll have a bore measurement soon which should help.

Cheers
Chris

The plug looks lean as hell, no surprise why it picked up then.

I can't feel any deep scores in the barrel so I'll have a do at it with some acid to get the transferred ally off the walls.
Are these a hard chrome/nikasil type thing or is it worth doing a bit of a glaze bust type honing of the barrel?

I don't like the look of the little indentations on the top of the piston. When I had 2t bikes that was always a sign that the bottom end was on it's way out.

Both 87cc? Both 54mm so same stroke?
Believe they share many parts, how would I tell the difference?

If they're the same saw, then I don't suppose I need to know.

What was the difference? Something like 045 had 3/8 and 056 was .404? No idea if the chainwheel is original but I suppose I could measure it. Would probably want to use 3/8 chain anyway. No bar or chain with the saw so no clues there.

They use a 3003 mount bar. I would stick with 3/8. Do your best to clean up that cylinder. Parts are kind of hard to find. IIRC, seals are NLA, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Is it points or electronic ignition? Some have a steel insert in the case for the PTO bearing. I'm not sure if that's a 045/056 differentiator or not.

I think I want to fit some crank seals, if it is a West German engine then they're at least 26 so probably a bit crispy!

The flywheel side one looks easy enough but the clutch side looks like a bit of an oddball narrow series one.

Do people just replace these with a viton shaft seal from a bearing shop or is there something special about them?

Handy thread
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/stihl-056-crank-bearings-and-seals.206823/

I might fire it back together with a new piston and see how the bottom end does, but I'd rather rebuild the whole thing and not have to touch it again for a long time!

No idea which my ignition is yet, believe the two-part flywheel means it's a bosch not a SEM? But there may be a set of points hiding under there? Or does the fact that mine is a "super" mean it is later than the points and condenser models?

That's fine by me, so long as I can get the bits to get it running!

I reckon, I've got the little 015 which is fine for limbing and light work, this bruiser for big stuff, then I think I'm going to get an 026 or 028 to fill in the gap.

Anyone got any thoughts on the dinks shown in the piston crown, whether it looks like bits of broken bearing causing damage? Doesn't look like detonation damage to me.

056 Super will have Bosch electronic ignition if it has the two part flywheel. Easily mended after Foggysails thread. PM me if you want the IPL. Crank seals are usually available on German ebay but I can't find any at the moment.

Definitely Bosch electronic type, I've got the IPL from the beg for manuals thread cheers though. Found foggysails thread, looks a reasonable fix. No surprise those capacitors go bad, they are a nightmare on old welders for going bang!

Also it's not a proper seal on the clutch side it's just a sealed bearing, 9523 003 0440 I think. Although I have found some of the later two part seal (no bearing though) on diyspareparts.com just need to find one of these bearings. The flywheel side is simple enough, just standard metric stuff.

Could anyone educate me on oil pumps? It appears to be a LH threaded plunger, which looks like it should get spun clockwise (out) until it falls off the end of it's threads and thus oscillates in and out. However the direction of rotation (clockwise looking at the clutch, right? Am I having a spanner moment?) means that the pump gear gets spun counterclockwise and just stops in the bottom of it's hole? The oil pump has stripped the plastic splines out of the gear by the look of it and is just rattling around... no way it would work! How is it supposed to work?

Back