Old Walnut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gruff4531

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Long story short I have an opportunity to tear down an old barn (120+ years old) and I was going to salvage the lumber for another project. Upon inspection of the barn I noticed that the loft stringers are whole logs made flat on one side for the loft boards to sit and are walnut. Then after talking with the man who used to farm the property not only are the loft stringers walnut but so are most of the big barn support beams. Knowing that these would make some great boards other than nails is there anything I need to be aware of?

I am a little worried because of the age of the wood and being to dry / hard to mill because I have worked with a lot of old oak from barns and it is really hard.

I am pretty excited about the possibility for the walnut but also the barn siding is in really good condition.

I would think that you would be all right with a band mill. As far as the wood being too dry, I would only worry about rot. I have seen a lot of lumber made from reclaimed barn beams and boards, it should be all right.

That sounds like it could be an excellent deal.

Keep your eyes open for evidence of insects and fungus. Keep the nasty separate from the good.

If you do not have one get a metal detector.

Something to mark the boards with quickly while you are working the tear down. Chalk, wax crayon, paint, etc..

Nothing frustrated me more than seeing something that needed marked, not marking it and only finding it again with the saw.

Last edited:
Back