On Chain Saw Sharpening and Sharpeners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kong

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
After years of pushing files back and forth I decided to buy a "Professional" sharpener for my chain saws. I didn't know much about them when I started looking around a couple of weeks ago and don't know much more now, at least with any certainty. So I thought I'd share my sharpening story and tell you all what I've seen and see what you have to say.

First off I've got two (Stihl) saws that can interchange bars and chains and my son often uses one while I use the other. When we go for a day's cutting we usually take two or three extra chains per saw. We don't let them get very dull and I resharpen all the chains at the end of the day. Its been that way for a long while.

To sharpen I clamp the saw's bar in a vice, break out the file/guide, and have at it. Two saws, three or four chains per saw; boredom and tedium, year after year after year. Now the thing is I wouldn't mind this other than that no matter how careful I am I can never get the chain quite as sharp as it was when new. I can get them good, sometimes even great, but never exactly like new. I never understood why until last week. Then one day it occurred to me that the difference came because I was sharpening a cut that had been made with a flat disk but suing a round file to do it. In short the cutting face I left after sharpening was not the same face that the factory left when the chain was manufactured. I was leaving what was in effect a hollow ground edge whereas their's was flat. Mine would be sharper, but only for the first or second pass through the wood, then it would be just a bit duller. Also, my hand sharpening almost never took into account the length of the resultant cutters. Even though I make it a point to count file strokes so that every cutter gets more or less even treatment they still become uneven over time.

Now I'm getting older than salt and I'm tired of filing chains. If I left it to my son we'd buy a new chain every time one got dull; presumably the money to do so would come from the chain-fairy.

I could of course take my chains out to have them sharpened professionally. Locally that would cost $7 off the saw, $13 on it. I can buy new chains all day long on E-Bay for $20 each so professional sharpening makes very little sense.

Electric disk sharpeners seem to come in two versions. There are cheap ones and there are expensive ones. Cheap ones cost forty bucks, expensive ones cost three or four hundred bucks. There is no apparent differences between the cheap ones and the expensive ones. Oregon seems to be the major manufacturer and they make several models; my interest extends to the top two in their lineup, the 510 and 511 models. These are small bench grinders that allow contoured stone disks to be presented to the cutters at precise angles to do the sharpening. You can duplicate the original factory angles, hence an "as new" cutting face. This is what I want. Some sharpeners have plastic bodies, some are aluminum. Some had manual vise systems to hold the chain as its being ground, some (expensive) use an hydraulic mechinism. I saw a reference someplace to either a NIOSH or EPA regulation that causes new grinders not to blow sparks in the operator's face and somehow this effects the performance of the sharperner - but I couldn't find anything specific about this so it might just be internet-hogwash for all I know.

So the question is, do I spend $40 or $400? There are precious few reviews that I can find on line for sharpeners and most of them look like plants from sharpener manufacturers so I thought I'd ask here.

How do you sharpen, do you have any comments on sharpeners? Oh, I've used all those clamp on file-guide gadgets over the years. Worthless if you ask me.

Last edited:
I hand file most of the time & always in the field using a stump vise. I do hit barb wire from time to time, and I hate to admit this, but....limestone. Up on my ridges I always end up cutting over a rock outcropping, then sloppyness, or tired or in a hurry and one touch is all it takes.

So, for these chains that hit other than wood, I bought a Harbor Freight $30 grinder. It worked ok, the disc's are junk, so I put Oregon disc's on it. The adjustments and chain lock are cheezy & the motor made really strange sounds.....I gave the whole set up to my neighbor & bought the Northern Tool one for $89. Do a search here and there are a page or two of threads on it. Throw the disc's away & buy Oregon or some from Bailey's. A few minor mods may be needed(I had to grind down between the base plates for a better stable fit when locked down). I think the NT one is a great value and does a good job, I don't think you will regret buying one....jmho.

It's on sale & they are offering additional coupon discount(s):

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200327449_200327449

RD

The difference as noted above is the quality of the motor, in a home use function the Northern is ok for the price point. Here at my shop it would not last a day as the motor would burn out. ( I have worn out a couple of the Oregons and Silva models over the years also) There seems to be one common mfg. for the better units (Italian) with everyone sticking there name on it with a few minor changes to the clamping mechanism.( or China clones?) Much like band saws and scroll saws. If you stick with the Oregon units you should be able to get parts for a long time.
As to your comment on the reversable wheel direction. On a power grinder it is best to grind from the inside to the out side edges on the cutters hence the reason for reversing the wheel. the 2 issues that come into play are as noted grinding dust in the face and wheels coming loose due to operator not tightening the spindle nut correctly. In either case made a payday for lawyers.

Last edited:
My situation is similar to yours except that I bought a Oregon 511A Bench Grinder because I was never able to get a good sharpening by hand filing. I think it's a physical disability because I can't cut a straight line with a miter box either. Any loop hand sharpened by me was a disaster.

With the 511A I can do touch ups where I don't remove much of the sawtooth or I can really grind them if I have rocked them. I'm sure I will go through chains a little faster than those who hand file them but I can sharpen 6 loops in a half hour to 45 min and they are really sharp and cut true. Having one has really taken away the only thing that frustrated me when cutting wood.

As to your comparison shopping I'm not much help as I have never tried anything else. I just did the math on how soon the sharpener would pay for itself compared to having it done. One down side will be all your friends and relatives will bring chains with them when they come to visit!:monkey:

i bougt the $20 attactment that goes on a dremel and a couple of stones....

works like a dream, and in a matter of minutes both sets of teeth done on a 24" bar, only takes a few seconds to touch up a tooth...... has the 30* angle grooves and foot to sit on the tooth. once i see powder, i get on it with the dremel, few minutes, back to woodchips flyin...it's night and day on the effectivness on oak, so it's gotta do something right, and if you do each tooth equally, it hogs straight down the log like a knife....light, easy to handle, fail safe, stones are cheap (widget supply is the best place for dremel accessories, i buy 1.5" cutoffwheels by the hundreds..., $17 for 100, HDsupply wants like $10 for 7!)
best part is if you got a decent cordless, you can quick sharpen without a vise in the field....

it's not stout enough to take down rackers... i attack those with the angle grinder...it's kinda wild though, easy to go too far....just cuts more quicker!

note* i guess this is pracitical for people who never cut fresh standing trees, i'm cleaining up stuff from past logging; laying in the dirt, been dragged a 1/2 mile through woods, sometimes i'm sloppy and will bump the nose into the dirt (cutting on ground, i know, bad habit). But, i buy up chains at fleamarkets, about 8 years ago pops & i bought 70 chains for $20. only 1/2 through the stack.....
i guess it depends what your cutting...

Last edited:
I previously used a hand file and the $30 hand attachment to a Dremel tool. They both worked, but I was never able to get a factory sharpening. Finally, I got fed up, and bought the Oregon 511AX sharpener for a little more than $300. With little practice, I am now able to get the chains as sharp as new! I don't ever let them get too dull anymore. I just touch them up and put them back to work. I was even able to salvage a chain that broke a tooth when it hit an imbedded eye hook (you couldn't see the hook from the outside of the tree). It cuts almost as well as the other chains.

I don't have any experience with the cheaper "look-alike" models, but the quality of the Oregon sharpener is first rate. It is very easy to use. This machine should last me a lifetime.

it's not stout enough to take down rackers... i attack those with the angle grinder...it's kinda wild though, easy to go too far....just cuts more quicker!

Angle grinder on your rakers?Your kidding, right?

I highly recommend the northern tools grinder for $100.00,it saves a lot of time and grief when you rock out a chain.But in all honesty,I rarely use mine.I stick to the old file and guide because I really hate buying new chains.A grinder will use up those teeth a whole lot faster than a file,no matter how hard you try to go light with the grinding stone.I swipe the chain in the field on every fill up, generally two swipes per tooth does just fine and keeps the chips flying.Takes less than 5 minutes on a 24 inch bar if you keep the chain sharp rather than letting it go to the point where you have to make it sharp again.
JMO

I've also got the $100 Northern Tool chain grinder .........

I'm 200% happy with it. I've had it a couple years, and its long ago paid for itself. Perfect, its not. A great value, it is. Like yourself, i hand filed...... with the occaisional trip to the saw shop when my saw would cut whacky. They'd do my chain on a grinder to even up the cutters, and all would be well for awhile. Same as yourselves, i go out cutting with several chains.... and swap them in the field when needed. What made me buy my own chain grinder, was working logging on a local farm one winter. I learned to sharpen chains on their grinder and never looked back. With all the positive reviews here on the Northern unit, i was sold. I highly recommend this grinder. :cheers:

Angle grinder on your rakers?Your kidding, right?

I highly recommend the northern tools grinder for $100.00,it saves a lot of time and grief when you rock out a chain.But in all honesty,I rarely use mine.I stick to the old file and guide because I really hate buying new chains.A grinder will use up those teeth a whole lot faster than a file,no matter how hard you try to go light with the grinding stone.I swipe the chain in the field on every fill up, generally two swipes per tooth does just fine and keeps the chips flying.Takes less than 5 minutes on a 24 inch bar if you keep the chain sharp rather than letting it go to the point where you have to make it sharp again.
JMO

i don't sharpen the teeth with an angle grinder...i use the stone and guide...
and no, i'm not kidding....then again these chains are almost 29 cents out of my pocket, so if i bump a raker too far, big deal....

i don't sharpen the teeth with an angle grinder...i use the stone and guide...
and no, i'm not kidding....then again these chains are almost 29 cents out of my pocket, so if i bump a raker too far, big deal....

You had me going there, I was just quoting what you said!

haha, it's alright. I do the extreme; usually it's because whatever is handy...angle grinder is usually at reach...

ive used a angle grinder to trim my toe nails, but never reached for one when dealing with something as delicate as rakers!

I use the Husqvarna Sharp Force guide and get great results.

As sharp or sharper than new, everytime. Even after I hit buried barbed wire or other fun surprises. Does the rakers at the same time so they stay the right height and you don't have to tackle them separately.
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/homeown...ries/filing-equipment/sharp-force-file-guide/

All you need to know IF you want to sharpen right by hand---shop or field.:givebeer:

Made by PFERD, often under other names. Simple, fast, does it right.
We use a stump vise in the field. No bother with power. with over grinding, the Pferd tool does it right. ( No Virginia, I do not own stock in the comapany.:cry: )

Silvey is the best by far- if you're really serious about sharpening ALOT of chains. I tried the $100-$300 toys: they burned the teeth, stones loaded up (and thus wore down) fast, motors burned out and parts broke.:cheers:

What about this one from harbor freights:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=93213

It will be on special for $25.

Precision angle adjustment to keep your chain in top condition. Height and scale positioning.

* Chain vise adjusts to all chain designs and pitches
* Includes 4-1/4'' x 1/8'' grinding wheel
* Mounts to bench, wall, or vise
* Large side safety guard
* 4200 RPM grinding speed
* 4-1/4" wheel with 7/8'' arbor
* 115 volt, 0.75 amp, direct drive ball bearing motor

Vise capacity: 0.5"-0.8"; Table vise angle: 0-35° right or left; Power cord: 7 ft. 11"; Wheel dimensions: 4-1/4" diameter x 1/8" H; Overall dimensions: 10" L x 9" W x 12-1/8" H
Tool Weight: 4.85 lbs.

Thanks for your input.

Back