One saw plan: cc's, length & weight suggestions please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear AS members.

Dr. Joat must take a "vacation" from his duties as AS. Please be advised when his facilties allow him to resume his duties in the fullest of health.

Pretty Nurse

PS:

Double Ess,

Please refrain from posting my pictures in the "Jerry Springer: My boyfriend is a girl" thread. Dr. Joat had no business posting those pictures on the "net".

PN

PSS:

Moderators,

Kindly forgive Dr. Joat and me for the infraction of the unauthorized use of Dr. Joat's account.

PN

or just get the 361 because internet ASS members will think your cool. and youl fit in with the 361rs.

Dear AS members.

Dr. Joat must take a "vacation" from his duties as AS. Please be advised when his facilties allow him to resume his duties in the fullest of health.

Pretty Nurse

PS:

Double Ess,

Please refrain from posting my pictures in the "Jerry Springer: My boyfriend is a girl" thread. Dr. Joat had no business posting those pictures on the "net".

PN

PSS:

Moderators,

Kindly forgive Dr. Joat and me for the infraction of the unauthorized use of Dr. Joat's account.

PN
Can't guarantee that they won't get posted. But not by me.:monkey:

Also i agree the 361 would be a good all around saw.

or just get the 361 because internet ASS members will think your cool. and youl fit in with the 361rs.

Just buy one then you'll feel better. Once you drink the cool aid everything will be fine. trust me.

I have to agree with some of the previous posters. If you are truly looking at getting one saw only then based on what you are describing I have to say that a 60cc saw would serve your needs. If you think there is any chance whatsoever that you may develop CAD, then work towards getting the 50cc and 70cc combination.

ArboristSiteStihl?

Now I can't even remember the requirements for the OP, but just to note [and not taking offense, I'll even throw reps if I have any left tonight]:

The 361 is a great saw, but don't buy it to be "cool"; I bought mine because I was looking at a 390 and the dealer said why don't you try this too [he has test logs out back - talk about a great/evil sales technique!] and was hooked, same thing when I said "what would my wife like" and wound up with a 200.

If you want to think ahead for a 70cc, get a 260 or whatever lightweight 50cc. For that matter, the 290 is probably the bang for the buck if you like your orange dealer - personally though if the price creap has got you to a 310, I'd rather go that much further again and get the 361 so an extra bar covers both ends of Stihl's midrange and everything in between [roughly same weight as the small end and HP of the big end].

i feel 85.98 % of 361 saw purches cause by this site are to be cool.

these purchases end up working well if the 361 is truly a one saw plan. i also feel many arent as happy with them as they were led up to be but wont say so for fear of beeeing banned from the 361 club

For a lot of people the 361 is the "just right" option. Its popular because its a really good saw. It does a lot of things well, not just adequately. In max 16" wood like the OP needs to cut its bloody perfect. He's not cuttin big timber like you are Evan. Try to picture if the biggest stump you ever had to cut was only 20".

if the biggest stump i cut was 20" i would be packn the 026 with 18" bar. just imagine the logs size 10 ft up the treee maybe 5 foot. the 026 would be hogn through it like no tommorrow

I am an Uber rookie around these parts, but I have to agree with these 2 statements.

"55-60cc saw is best one saw plan."

However, it is too heavy for LIGHT work (so I bought a 34cc Echo for light work)

And it is too light for HEavy work (So I am trying to buy a 372xp or larger)

if the biggest stump i cut was 20" i would be packn the 026 with 18" bar. just imagine the logs size 10 ft up the treee maybe 5 foot. the 026 would be hogn through it like no tommorrow
We seen your stumps and your busted plastic....you should be equipped with an axe..

The fact that you are on a chainsaw forum suggests to me that you are somewhat of an enthusiast and will eventually develop CAD. I'd prepare for the two saw plan (50/70cc) by getting the 70cc first. But, if you think you can get by with just one saw, then get the 60cc. If you change your mind later, a 60/90cc two saw plan aint so bad either ;)

I know an one saw plan is not typical for the folks on this site, however, I have not contracted CAD quite yet, and am looking to purchase one saw. I know give me some time, I will come around. I have tried some searches but mostly find two, three and multiple saw plans. I was wondering what does everyone think is the best size for an all around saw in terms of cc's, bar length and weight. I would need it for multi-use; felling, limbing and blocking. I hope this does not into a brand war, but specific suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for your replies!

Jay.
372 xp nough said.

Back