One Saw Plan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huskyboy1978

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
On the risk of being shot for such an idea I wanted to get some opinions.

Here's my situation, I cut my own firewood in the range of 5 to 10 cords a year (usually end up selling a couple), and do the occasional clean-up for friends. Most of my firewood is in the 8" to 16".

I lighter the saw the better however I don't like to be cutting all day either if I bigger saw will allow me to do the job twice as fast.

With my wife nagging on me to get rid of my excess saws (I didn't think there was ever too many) I am debating do what see says and keeping just one. I can then start picking up rebuilders for cheap without her taking much notice :hmm3grin2orange:

For the cutting I do I had the following ideas:

Keep the 353 and port it
Keep the 359 and port it (I am actually just about to start this project)
Sell them all and buy a NE346XP, muffler mod it, and then down the road port it.

I know some will say keep the 262XP!!! I really like the 254 and 262 however parts are getting harder to get and I must say I really like the handling and AV of the newer Huskies.

Looking for thoughts and discussion.

READY........AIM.........

346NE would be nicer, but not really that different from what you have.

But, if you get rid of some saws, what's the wife going to give up in return?

i think your a candidate for a pro 50cc saw

i havent run 262 butr i do know the 359 is noticably smoother then the 026 044 it was my smoothest saw untill i picked up a 372. now that thing is smooth.

maybe he needs 70cc with 20" bar :greenchainsaw: now that would be cool and the power is there to go longer when needed

i think your a candidate for a pro 50cc saw

My advice is to keep most of the saws! Your entire lineup is basically in the ~50cc - 60cc range, so getting rid of one or two wouldn't affect your ability to cut wood very much.

Seriously though, with the wife on your @$$ I wouldn't want to buy anything new right now, but don't be bailing out either. Maybe sell one of the saws just to show goodwill. I'd probably consider selling either the 45, 353 or 359. Marriage can be a tug of war, and everytime you give in, your end of the rope becomes a little slipperier.

Last edited:
My advice is to keep the saws! But you probably don't need both a ported 359 and a 262. Your entire lineup is basically in the 50cc - 60cc range.

Seriously though, I wouldn't want to buy anything new right now, but don't be bailing out either. Maybe sell one of the saws just to show goodwill. Marriage can be a tug of war, and everytime you give in, your end of the rope becomes a little slipperier.

I'm liking the way you think! Maybe I'll just sell the 45 :)

If you decide to get rid of the 262 drop me a PM, could use a nice 60cc saw.

give up something

that's funny bc i find that i my marriage the more i give, the more i get: rope or otherwise.

I guess I would join this way of thinking. My wife works, and has financial freedoms that some might envy. But I cannot outgive her. She showers many blessings on me all the time, and I give back to her all I can. No whimpers at all when I laid down the cash for a new 660 last spring.

346 - no doubt!

For that size wood the NE346XP is just the ticket. Plus it's the best handling saw out there!

Sell a couple of saws - buy the NE346 and never look back.

Al :cheers:

I figured the 359 would be a perfect saw for that size wood. I know if I never cut any wood bigger than 20" that my 359 would be my biggest saw. If it's not fast enough I'd try a muff mod and then if that's not enough go for a port job.

that's funny bc i find that i my marriage the more i give, the more i get: rope or otherwise.

There's a big difference between "giving" and "giving in". If you don't know the difference, your saw collection is in danger!

Back