One saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bcorradi

bcorradi

Arboristsite.com Sponsor
If you want a husky a 262 or 372 would work if money isn't a concern...if money is a concern a 350 would work real well.

Stihl wise an 044 or 361 are great saws and if your on a budget an 029 is very good too.

CR500

CR500

Diesel, Snowmobile, & Chainsaw Technician
This is a real tough choice can we change this to "Any 2 saws." lol but I guess if I had to pick one it would have to be a 70cc ported saw.

Now if we I had to pick 2 it would be a 70cc ported saw like stated, but I would add a 90cc ported saw to the list but the 90cc saw would only come out if the wood was really, really, big.

bcorradi

bcorradi

Arboristsite.com Sponsor
i built a like new 660 last winter and traded it off for a tractor because i didn't think i'd use it very often...however i use the tractor all the time.

wazazzle

wazazzle

ArboristSite Lurker
who would own just one saw??

That would be me.... so i guess i'd use my ONLY saw a Mac 10-10 :laugh: Bought my first saw Saturday and spent the past 48hrs online doing nothing but researching. I feel a sudden case of CAD coming on. Already keeping my eyes peeled for more craigslist finds.

Last edited:
T0RN4D0

T0RN4D0

ArboristSite Guru
I'd say it depends on what you plan on doing with that saw. While 460 is a wonderful saw, not everyone can keep up with it, and in wood smaller than 15 inches its an overkill.

Carrying around and working with a saw that's two sizes too big is more of a PITA, than stumbling upon a tree that's two sizes too big for your saw. Thats because you are carrying the saw 100% of the time, and the big tree is usually 1 in a 100 or more...

sbhooper

sbhooper

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'd say it depends on what you plan on doing with that saw. While 460 is a wonderful saw, not everyone can keep up with it, and in wood smaller than 15 inches its an overkill.

Carrying around and working with a saw that's two sizes too big is more of a PITA, than stumbling upon a tree that's two sizes too big for your saw. Thats because you are carrying the saw 100% of the time, and the big tree is usually 1 in a 100 or more...

I think you are pretty much right on. If I had to have one saw, I would say it would be a 441 or a Husky 576, but they can get real heavy for total use. If a person is only doing a big tree once-in-a-while, then I believe that the 361/362 class of saw would be a very good choice. That saw will run a 25-inch full-skip chain with enough authority to do a pretty big tree. I am a firm believer in the five-saw plan myself.:clap: