Online source for good chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the tips. Cutters choice had the 3/8 .058 72dl in chisel and semi-chisel right on their site plain as day. I called to confirm and ask what brand it was (Carlton or ???). "No problem, you have a Husky right?" I didn't get treated like I had two heads for looking for the chain with my specific specs. No filing something to make it into something else. Took my order over phone and promised to get it in that days outgoing shipment. Price was reasonable too. I hope to give them a whirl on Saturday if they get here by then otherwise I will be using my Husky chain with my amatureish sharpening applied.

Thanks again

Always a great company to deal with. Glad you found the chain you needed. I don't think you will be disappointed, I really like the Laser (Carlton) chain. I asked them about their chain, and they used to get Windsor and Oregon re-badged but had the most positive feedback about the Carlton chain so that is what they are sticking with.

I am not familiar with stihl chain at all. I need a .325 semi chisel, so is that the RMC? All of this talk has got me itching to try a new chain, so I am going to drive the 40 miles to the nearest stihl dealer tomorrow.

RMC it is, 23RMC in .050, 25RMC in .058 and 26RMC in .063.

Get some RSC when you are at it, as well.......

Some of Bailey's Woodsman Pro chain is made by Carlton, some by Oregon. Me, I prefer Stihl to everything else.

+1

I've run a quite a bit of Carlton and Oregon, but find especially with square the Stihl holds up the best.

I can't really put my finger on it, but the overall the quality just seems better as well. I'm reasonably close to Madsens so by the reel it is not really any more money than Oregon for me.

I grind not file so the extra hardness is not a problem, rather a plus. And Oregon square besides not being quite as tough is not as sharp out of the box. For round it's not as big a deal, and I used to happily run JG for years.

So I got the RMC chain for my 2054, and cut a couple cords of hardwood. It is a good chain, but my first impressions are that it is not worth the extra money, but it is the first time out. I will see how it goes.

Back