Only One Saw?!?!?!?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novaman64

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Currently have a Husky 359, picked it up for cheap, good little runner and Ive been happy with it. Well the other day I made the mistake of picking up a buddies Stihl 390... The saw was super comfortable and I like the looks of it, not to mention the inboard clutch was a nice feature. I was running a 24" bar on my 359 with a full skip chisel and he was running the Stihl 25" bar same chain. Dug his into a nice piece of oak and it seemed to cut alot better than mine, nut sure why, as the ratings on both saws look identical, maybe my 359 is getting tired. Needless to say I am thinking bout selling the 359 to fun a different saw. Looking at picking up either a MS361 or a MS440, looking around seems like both are going for around the same price range used. Normally I run a 20" bar but I like to keep a longer one around for the occasional big wood. Mostly cut up wood, around 18" across, some bigger, some smaller. During fall and spring run the saws prolly every weekend almost all day, winter time normal just to clear whatever trees have fallen, summer normally doesn't get much use.

That being said I dont know if the extra weight of the 440 is worth the power gains over the 361... Is it alot bigger of a saw (in terms of handling it, does it feel bulkier), and is the weight difference that noticeable?

Also, I am guessing the 361 will run away from the 390 in terms of performance??? Or should I look at getting a 390 instead of 361?

i would refresh the 359 new piston and ring for 30 bucks.

the 359 is better saw then your buddies 390 and is on par with the 361.

id also make sure that its tuned and cutting at its full potential, maybe do this before refreshing the top end.

i wouldnt buy the 361 you have the 359. you already have saw very simialr and power and even weighs the same as the 361.

the 390 is heavy turd in comparison though it might pull a 28" bar better then both the 361 and 359 if it was muffler modded

Last edited:
Well what kinda cheap price you want for the 359? LOL

If you want to go the route that you have planned, Id say get the 044-440. And a 18-24"

PS, put the full comp on the 359, I think you would like it better

yeah ill give you 100 bucks for the 359.

Been doing a bunch of reading and think I am gonna move up to a 70cc saw... So looking at a MS440, and big difference between the 044 and the 440? Think those seem nice since they are lighter than the 441. I guess ill keep an eye out for a 372xp too...

Your biggest problem is probably your chain shapness..

I have cut tens & tens of thousands of board feet with old stihls that bairly ring in at 100 psi.

You can cut alot of wood even with a #### assed saw that bairly runs.

Keep a good chain & you can do about anything you want, no matter what saw your runnin.

70 cc is a notable improvement in 17-18" wood over 60cc. Makes those jobs go faster and easiar. It is a big advantage to have a good handling 50 to 60 cc to go with it ( I prefer 55 to 60cc w/ a 20 " bar ) for small stuff, heavy limbing,and back up. The 044 is my favorite all around saw but I would rather not be without my ms660 ( or a comparable power -power to weight saw when in much wood over 20".
The Makita 6401 isn't far behind the 044 in power ( speaking of my 044 ) and may be a consideration if your shopping on a budget. Pro design and you can up grade it to an awesome 79cc saw for a couple hundred if your so inclined. I like a lot of the older Stihls over 60 cc in bigger wood also.

Fresen up the 359 with a set of new rings, get it ported and muffler modded. Those 359's come alive!
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1mrGNaWdPGA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1mrGNaWdPGA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Learn how to keep a chain sharp...

The chain was sharp. I have 2 chains, as soon as one starts to feel dull it gets touched up or is of to the father in laws for a sharpening... The one I was using was actually brand new...

Sounds like you need a 044/440 or 272xp or 372xp. The power difference will put a smile on your face.

Ok, well after thinking about it I figured out a game plan...

Gonna sell the 359 and pickup a 440 (hopefully later this week or next week), then gonna pick up either a 192 or 200T in the next couple weeks... Then as funds become available pickup a 026/260 Pro... That should be a decent 3 saw arsenal and I think have me covered....

sounds like good plan

the 440 is one heck of very good saw

cant complain about my 026 either it

Latest posts

Back