oooo free saws...what should i do? husq 181 and 281

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sherpasaw

Reaction score
Having recently moved to the middle of nowhere oregon and now having wood as my primary source of heat (should be about 4 cords a year) i feel impelled, compelled to acquire a saw in order to get the trees felled. And now i need my hand held. A friend has given me two saws neither of which is seized and one of which was the victim of a tree beat-down which left it chainbrakeless. i think they were both ported or had a muffler job from the owner before last.

i would like to know if anyone has anything to say about the husqvarna 181 and 281. have not seen a lot of chatter about them and i don't see a lot of after-market or even oem parts. i have found a replacement chainbrake for the 281. Worst case scenario if i need to do whole rebuilds, is there another cylinder that will bolt on to these cases?

Are these saws going to run a 22 or 24 bar? felling pine usually no bigger than 30 inch diameter and with judicious use of felling wedges. I am a tall guy and i don't like having to stoop to limb a felled tree. Guess i could leave a shorter bar on one for felling if it will be too much drag on the longer bar.

And if the carbs are no good, is there going to be a better after market option or should i find a rebuild kit? They have been sitting in a box in a pretty dry environment for about 5 years.

if i can get 2 saws going for the price of one new one i will be stoked. thanks for your help. Sweet site:rock::rock:

Those are good old saws and a lot of 288 parts will fit them including pistons and cylinders. They will pull a 24" bar just fine. A lot of them have been run with 32" or so.

wooo hooo i guess i have a good friend. and so damn happy he isn't mechanically inclined too.:monkey: but a real good guy.

thanks for the quick reply. really made my night. stinkin cold here and getting over the flu. :blob6::blob6::blob6::blob6::blob6::blob6: blowing whole flocks of these guys into the tissue

I just posted an add in the swap meet thread about looking for and old 80+cc Husky to make a project saw.......:bang:

I would patiently locate all the parts and build both of them up to running status again. Those saws have a good reputation and are sought after by certain members. Being in Oregon, you probably have some old school saw shops in your area. They probably have parts saws laying around....

Virtually every part is still avaiable for those saws. The one exception that I can think of is the 181 piston and it's thin riings, but the newer 281 piston fits right in there should you ever need it.

My 181 manages a 24" bar easily. I recently put a 30" on it, skip tooth, and don't like the skip tooth chain. It doesn't cut fast enough or work the saw hard enough. I'll be replacing it with a non skip tooth next time around. My 181 has over 180lbs compression, which seems to be the norm for these saws, at least from what I've seen.......Cliff
attachment.php

That's some gift,nice saws.I pickup a 288 from a local dealer about a mouth a go,I think it from 1989 it has the metal brake on it.He said a local farmer had it,he didn't need it anymore.It's turn out to be a good deal so far.Fix them saw up,you;ll have two winners.

Back