Opinions on fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shoot, reload, and cast my own bullets quite a lot. As a preventative measure every year I have my blood levels checked. If I were one of the group that is using 100ll I would do the same.

On a side note, the FAA is currently testing unleaded non-e replacements to 100ll and is set to start the change over in 2018 or 2019.

They are in the second phase of testing that includes flight testing, phase one was to test interchangeability with existing leaded fuel.

I've run 100LL in my saws for many years. The thing I like most about is the reliability. You can buy av-gas from any place that sells it and it's always going to constant in quality. I usually buy it in 55 gallon drums.
Just for fun we had some pump gas tested for octane rating and E content. We got samples from several stations and the results were all over the board. I don't have the info handy but I can say that what you see listed on the pump and what's actually going into your saw were often two very different things.
Av-gas is refined to very high standards, it's filtered at the refinery before transport, filtered at the delivery point, it mixes well with most two stroke oils, and we never had a gas related problem with any of our saws. Spark plug life is about the same.
I understand the concerns about lead but most people cutting wood don't have their face near the exhaust.
The only down side I can see is availability, hence our buying it in large volume. Most airports restrict access to the pumps but when you explain to them what you're doing they're almost always agreeable.
In our area av-gas costs about two bucks a gallon more than pump gas. That's not much when compared to the cost of losing a day cutting.

Al, I don't think folks are looking neccesarily for a performance increase as such or even seeking higher octane fuel, they just want a quality E free product that will store well not attracting water out of thin air. Aviation fuel ticks those boxes.
You could be right, as where I live NO gasoline/petrol sold to Joe Public contains E in any shape or form, From back in most of my employed life(Aviation industry) a lot of light aircraft should have had their water trap filters drained if the motor had not been run for 40 days. Brought about the dreaded WD 40 named as such Water dispersant for 40 days But again aircraft fuel tanks are vented so the atmosphere is free to get to the stored fuel, but I'm not sufficiently clued up on the difference when in a sealed container

I live in the Flint area and no they haven't done much. But are supposedly working on it. I'm well out if the affected area but it still sucks:(

All that talk, political hype and front page international news and they still do not have a fix for the lead in the water problem in Flint? Pretty much sums up the economic disaster in Michigan I guess. Seems that they could just go back to getting water from Lake Huron, but I am sure the politics and engineering logistics are a complete Charlie Foxtrot. Glad my grandparents left Michigan. They were from the glove, then became Yoopers, then snow birds and then flew the coop for good.

I live in the west slopes of the Cascades, and the water here is some of the best in the world. I had my water tested when I bought this place and the results were that its just... water. Plain water. Just south of me is the famous Portland Bull Run watershed. They pay dearly for the same water that I get for free. Well, for the price of running the well pump. Maybe $10 a month? I could not have the plant nursery here that I have if I had to pay the insanely high water bills that they do in Portland, which is typically $100 a month. Plus a lot of times their water is not from Bull Run, but pumped from wells along the Columbia River. Any tome the Bull Run River silts up from runoff, they get Colombia water.

I smell a fuel thread...ha...I used to run leaded 110 Sunoco mixed with pump fuel I would get a headache and my and generally not feel well after cutting I figured it was the fuel but turned out it was the synthetic oil I was running...changed oil and problem solved but I run canned unleaded fuel now little pricey but I don't cut a ton of wood. Lead in fuel is a lubricant and slows the combustion speed basically that is why it is needed for high compression engines of some types...but for that reason it can make your engine feel a little "soft" unless you tune for the fuel. Roller bearings do like lead...it is a lubricant and come to think of it interestering to know if it would help with auto tune saws...but I digress...it is poison and I think it accumulates in your body like mercury but I might be wrong. The real point is that race fuels are refined to higher standards and for specific markets/engine needs the big gain with av fuel is shelf life cause It has to meet a specific shelf life standard.....

good luck

Well, for those hanging onto using gas with TEL in your saws and 2-strokes, (ie., AvGas), the facts are that even low exposure over a longer period of time causes severe problems. The problem with lead exposure (even low lead level exposure) is that it accumulates in the body. If you are using a chainsaw with leaded gas, you are breathing in the TEL from the raw gas that 2-stroke engines all emit in the exhaust, unburned. You will absorb TEL from gas fumes from the exhaust that you inhale 3 feet from your face, as well as from any gas that you spill on your skin. Lead is associated with subtle and insidious toxic effects, even at low levels. Small levels of lead in your system can directly lower your IQ and cause antisocial behavior. As little as 1 μg/L (one microgram per liter) can drop your IQ by 4 points. Some interesting research has found that in the US and South Africa, approximately 30% of the decline in violent crime rates in both countries can be directly attributed to the removal of TEL from gasoline. TEL ia evil stuff, and it smells and tastes sweet to throw off your senses and make you think it is good stuff. It ain't. I do not know why any sane person would expose themselves to it. Of course some people that have been exposed to low levels of lead over longer periods of time may no longer be that sane...

Well, for those hanging onto using gas with TEL in your saws and 2-strokes, (ie., AvGas), the facts are that even low exposure over a longer period of time causes severe problems. The problem with lead exposure (even low lead level exposure) is that it accumulates in the body. If you are using a chainsaw with leaded gas, you are breathing in the TEL from the raw gas that 2-stroke engines all emit in the exhaust, unburned. You will absorb TEL from gas fumes from the exhaust that you inhale 3 feet from your face, as well as from any gas that you spill on your skin. Lead is associated with subtle and insidious toxic effects, even at low levels. Small levels of lead in your system can directly lower your IQ and cause antisocial behavior. As little as 1 μg/L (one microgram per liter) can drop your IQ by 4 points. Some interesting research has found that in the US and South Africa, approximately 30% of the decline in violent crime rates in both countries can be directly attributed to the removal of TEL from gasoline. TEL ia evil stuff, and it smells and tastes sweet to throw off your senses and make you think it is good stuff. It ain't. I do not know why any sane person would expose themselves to it. Of course some people that have been exposed to low levels of lead over longer periods of time may no longer be that sane...
What I don't get is accepting this risk in order to protect a carb diaphragm and a few inches of fuel line. Chainsaws are designed to run on crap gas. They are low compression, no valvetrain, low rpm (for their size) machines that have been running forever on crap gas and even crappier oil. The sudden need to treat them like F1 engines baffles me, but it is what is great about this country. To each his own.

What I don't get is accepting this risk in order to protect a carb diaphragm and a few inches of fuel line. Chainsaws are designed to run on crap gas. They are low compression, no valvetrain, low rpm (for their size) machines that have been running forever on crap gas and even crappier oil. The sudden need to treat them like F1 engines baffles me, but it is what is great about this country. To each his own.

I am with you, Jon. Some insist on only Jet A in their saws but I just use kerosene straight from the square tank at the side of the gas station.

36643A5500000578-0-image-a-62_1468861030589.jpg

Ron

Oh looky there, it is a turbo. Or a brush burner. Not exactly approved for yarding work during fire season here.

I like the muffler bearing idea though.

Stihl JS-Jetsaw....there pretty good limbing saws but they shine with long bars as you loose a few inches of bar with the extended dawg. I hang bacon off the brake flag at smoko time for instant crispy jetsaw bacon. Good saw.

Back