Opinions on fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next they should try a saw powered by a small nuclear thermal decay source running a stirling engine.

astnmacgto, so as to not derail this thread further check the link below for some interesting 82cc Mac info. Ron

Brian, his son and I had our little 82cc shootout late this afternoon. The saws were: a can't tell from new Double Eagle 80; a PM 850 that Brian built for me that is fresh and has only been put through heat cycles by Brian; my go to PM 800 with old style muffler; and Brian stock PM800. We only use 24" bars which was not quite as planned but the 92 degree+ heat almost did me in after spending most of the day outside mowing and trimming bushes.

Neither of us claim any chain sharpening expertise so we used fresh full comp Stihl RS off the same roll. Brian tuned all of the saws "in the wood" before we started on a just over bar length red oak. Neither of us are cookie cutters as you will clearly see if Brian's video camera worked. If it did, we will post it later. Candidly, knowing that we were filming made me a little nervous until I just forgot about it. Our impressions are just that as neither of us cut consistently enough to make timing meaningful.

My camera's card is only good for about 4 minutes so the below is all I shot. The saw shown is a PM 850. Very impressive saw. The first cut was just squaring up the log; after that our procedure was I would cut one cookie then Brian would cut the next cookie then we would move on to the next saw.

I will let Brian speak for himself except to say I believe the almost new Double Eagle 80 was his favorite during the tuning process although with the different carb layout it was the more difficult than the others to tune.

PM 850 with 24" bar - red oak

View attachment 519377

Ron

astnmacgto, so as to not derail this thread further check the link below for some interesting 82cc Mac info. Ron
I'd like to post a wanted ad on here for a sp125 but I'm afraid someone will actually have one to sell and I can't be spending that much money right now haha

The OP could use ethanol gas and then dump back in the can if the saw saw going to sit for a while and dump a half a cup of truefuel in the tank to purge the ethanol out before storage.
This is what I do to any saws that I run a lot, that get E fuel put in them, and since doing the above, my fuel problems have went away...

A couple "good" saws that are run less, so far have been getting all canned fuel...

SR

Of course the big question on "no ethanol" gas is - does anyone test that claim?

If you have a pessimistic view of human nature, you would expect that station owners could just cheat and sell ethanol gas for the no ethanol premium.

A friend of mine feels that way, so he insists on sticking with aviation gas.

I am an optimist, so I don't think No E gas is sold fraudulently. But mistakes do happen and if several hundred gallons were delivered into the wrong underground tank...would they be switched out?

I do wish to thank the posters who pointed out that Lead is in the exhaust from aviation gas, I did not know that. I haven't asked my friend his thoughts on that, yet. But I run saws all day long and breathe in plenty of that exhaust, working up close and personal with small diameter wood, and I cut careful low stumps for quality regeneration.

I have never purchase av-gas myself because I am skeptical I could get it everywhere I work; don't want to own 55 gallons of gas at one time; and I know the saws are designed for traditional automotive octanes anyway.

I have one other question on the current state of Fuel for saws. I was in a Lowe's or Home Depot and ended up in the saw aisle. I think I was buying a tarp, and wasn't in there for anything saw related. After I left I thought I recalled seeing a 5 gallon bucket with the same label as the quarts of "canned" fuel. What is the price on one of those 5 gallons of pre-mix, if that is what I saw?

I have heard some people run 50% pre-mix with their own mix. I couldn't afford to do even that. But if pre-mix can start arriving 5 gallons at once, maybe it could get economical enough to use? I already run pure synthetic and hunt the countryside for 92/93 Octane No Ethanol where available (90 otherwise), even if I have to make a detour to get it.

The way it sounds in the us, aviation fuel sounds only slightly less expensive compared to the larger gallon premix brands here. I would choose that way before thinking one second about exposing myself out of my free will to lead...

Has anyone here actually had a sample of 100 octane low lead gas actually tested, I'm curious as to what the parts per million count of lead is actually in the fuel, because it seems like these days the companies are forced to disclose any thing that is in their product, even if there is less than 1/10th of 1% of that item in their product, I'd like to see the PPM count on a data sheet, curiosity killed the cat I guess, or maybe it was lead exposure......
ADLM

Of course the big question on "no ethanol" gas is - does anyone test that claim?

If you have a pessimistic view of human nature, you would expect that station owners could just cheat and sell ethanol gas for the no ethanol premium.
A friend of mine feels that way, so he insists on sticking with aviation gas.
I am an optimist, so I don't think No E gas is sold fraudulently. But mistakes do happen and if several hundred gallons were delivered into the wrong underground tank...would they be switched out?

I do wish to thank the posters who pointed out that Lead is in the exhaust from aviation gas, I did not know that. I haven't asked my friend his thoughts on that, yet. But I run saws all day long and breathe in plenty of that exhaust, working up close and personal with small diameter wood, and I cut careful low stumps for quality regeneration.

I have never purchase av-gas myself because I am skeptical I could get it everywhere I work; don't want to own 55 gallons of gas at one time; and I know the saws are designed for traditional automotive octanes anyway.

I have one other question on the current state of Fuel for saws. I was in a Lowe's or Home Depot and ended up in the saw aisle. I think I was buying a tarp, and wasn't in there for anything saw related. After I left I thought I recalled seeing a 5 gallon bucket with the same label as the quarts of "canned" fuel. What is the price on one of those 5 gallons of pre-mix, if that is what I saw?

I have heard some people run 50% pre-mix with their own mix. I couldn't afford to do even that. But if pre-mix can start arriving 5 gallons at once, maybe it could get economical enough to use? I already run pure synthetic and hunt the countryside for 92/93 Octane No Ethanol where available (90 otherwise), even if I have to make a detour to get it.

You could test it... depending on your level of paranoia. I know pumps are randomly inspected to insure they deliver the correct amount of fuel by state inspectors. Not sure whether ethanol-content is regulated. Though every pump I've seen in my state always states... may contain up to 10% ethanol. I suspect and large chain gas stations wouldn't play those games. Obviously screw-ups could happen.

Quarts of pre-mix (like Tru-Fuel) go for $6/quart in my area. Either way, its going to be significantly more expensive than pump + mix. Here's a good site, indicating possible ethanol-free stations: http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MD

Has anyone here actually had a sample of 100 octane low lead gas actually tested, I'm curious as to what the parts per million count of lead is actually in the fuel, because it seems like these days the companies are forced to disclose any thing that is in their product, even if there is less than 1/10th of 1% of that item in their product, I'd like to see the PPM count on a data sheet, curiosity killed the cat I guess, or maybe it was lead exposure......
ADLM

Here you go: http://oilsmedia.delfinrus.com/userfiles/files/avgas100llspecsastmd910.pdf

It has half the lead content, about 0.56 vs. 1.12 g/L. Aviation fuel is controlled much tighter than standard pump gas/diesel.

How do you test it yourself?

I personally doubt "Rec Gas" pumps are fooled with unscrupulously. But my friend running AV gas thinks so.

I use the 'Pure Gas' app on my phone, very handy when traveling like I do.

ADLM
I read that Av gas had .5g of lead per liter. I asked a friend of mine, who is the chair of our chemistry dept, about the exhaust fumes. He said that the CO had immediate effects because it competes with oxygen for the hemoglobin in your blood. The Pb has chronic effects because it was a cumulative poison. It is excreted only very slowly from your body. On the other hand, it is also hard for it to get into your body and takes a long time to accumulate. He ends his answer with "Watch the CO!" I know of several people who have died from CO inhalation, but have never heard of anyone dying from the lead in exhaust fumes. I know that lead is poisonous, but still... I think you'll be OK as long as you're not huffing the exhaust fumes.

On the other hand, it is also hard for it to get into your body
Breathing it in vapor form is the fastest way for it to get into your body. You'd be far better off eating it. The CO at a low level will have almost no effect as it does not accumulate. The TEL at a low level will have an effect as it does accumulate.

I read that Av gas had .5g of lead per liter. I asked a friend of mine, who is the chair of our chemistry dept, about the exhaust fumes. He said that the CO had immediate effects because it competes with oxygen for the hemoglobin in your blood. The Pb has chronic effects because it was a cumulative poison. It is excreted only very slowly from your body. On the other hand, it is also hard for it to get into your body and takes a long time to accumulate. He ends his answer with "Watch the CO!" I know of several people who have died from CO inhalation, but have never heard of anyone dying from the lead in exhaust fumes. I know that lead is poisonous, but still... I think you'll be OK as long as you're not huffing the exhaust fumes.
I would agree with being more afraid of CO than Pb if you were running your saw in a closet

Anyone believing that the lung is not the second largest resorptive area of the body, is simple dillusional! Further the lead from the exhaust is in one of the finest dispersed forms possible, so resorption on the second largest resorptive area in the body is not all that difficult.
CO = carbon dioxide does react with haemoglobin ~ 300x better than 02. But the amount of CO produced by a well set carb should be rather low. Further CO binding is easily reversed in well oxiginated athmosphere, f.e. normal air....

I was in a Lowe's or Home Depot and ended up in the saw aisle. I think I was buying a tarp, and wasn't in there for anything saw related. After I left I thought I recalled seeing a 5 gallon bucket with the same label as the quarts of "canned" fuel. What is the price on one of those 5 gallons of pre-mix, if that is what I saw?

I Googled this tonight and I did indeed see a 5 gallon bucket of the pre-mix fuel. It runs $85 - $90 for the bucket or about $18 / gallon (actually 4.75 gallons in there). Not an option.

What's the world coming to? When I was a kid almost every school boy at one time or another would bring mercury to school, roll it around in his palm, gather of all the little beads that he and his audience could from the floor when he dropped it, and pass it around hand to hand until the final drop when no beads could be gathered. Now no mercury anywhere except maybe in your teeth. Hmmm, didn't I also crawl on asbestos tile and crumble discarded asbestos ceiling tile. Leaded gas, lead solder and lead paint everywhere. Above ground nuclear tests. Radioactive paint on gauges and clocks. To answer my own question, a safer place in some aspects. Not so, in many other. But I'll continue to run lead-free. Ron

A perfect description of my childhood Ron! I wish I had some mercury to play with right now; cool stuff! ;)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back