opinions on ms192t

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boynature

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Was wondering how the Stihl 192t compares to the 200t. It is $200 cheaper and it would serve as my back up saw. Its about 5cc's less than the 200t and I don't think any of the parts are interchangeable.

Thanks for your input..... Boynat

I had one.I didnt care for it at all.If you are use to a 200 you will be disappointed.It doesn't have near the power of the 200 and the only thing interchangeable that i know of is the bar and the spark plug.I ended up selling it on ebay.

I have two. Highly recommend. They have made me much $$$ over the last two years and have been relatively trouble-free.

I have a 192T, not a bad saw. Definetly no power house, great for pine a spruce trees, but in hard wood it's pretty doggish. I look at it this was too, i'd rather drop a $300 saw than a $500 saw. Echo's a good saw, but check out Bailey's, they have a Solo top handle that has like 2.6 Hp for $300. I don't know much about Solo's but it might be worth looking into.

I've got both the 192t and the 200t. The 192 is a decent saw, but there's really no comparison to the hot rod 200.
I think it would serve you well for a back-up saw.

Ed

I bought a 192T back in August and have used it daily since then. Not a bad climbing saw but like others have said, it doesn't even come close to a 200T. I've made lots of money with mine and it has been pretty dependable up until a week or so back when the kill switch jammed and I had to choke it to kill it. An easy fix I know. Just bought a 200T this past week. This is my first 200T though I have used the 020's in the past.

If cash is tight the 192 will be a decent climbing saw for you. If money is not an object then definitely go for the 200T.

I can't complain

I've got one an love it. Couldn't swing 200t price so I can't compare. It always done what I've asked it to. I find myself using it on the ground more than my 346xp where applicable. For what I paid for it I can buy two compared to one 200t. Although prices went up since I bought mine.
Pete

I bought a 192T back in August and have used it daily since then. Not a bad climbing saw but like others have said, it doesn't even come close to a 200T. I've made lots of money with mine and it has been pretty dependable up until a week or so back when the kill switch jammed and I had to choke it to kill it. An easy fix I know. Just bought a 200T this past week. This is my first 200T though I have used the 020's in the past.

If cash is tight the 192 will be a decent climbing saw for you. If money is not an object then definitely go for the 200T.

Ya...i couldnt afford a 200...so i bought the 192...i love it, maybe its because i dont no the difference and have never used a 200T..

As a back up saw...i think it will get you by fine....your not going to use it that often anyways.

192t isn't a bad saw.

i'd buy it over any other saw other than the 200.there is $300 worth of performance in the $250 price difference of the 200t.

i'm not sure how solo gets away with their HP claims but i can assure you the are BS.the 192 has more power than the solo.not to mention it's heavier than the 192.

i still haven't tried the dolmar.sounds popular.may be an alternative to the stihls.

Any of you guys remember the saying "it's a poor carpenter who blames his tools"?

The 192 is a very good saw. It is just that the 200T is better. But it should be. It costs a lot more. They are still both light years better than the :censored: we used to use.

I have two seasons on my first 192 and, like has been said, it makes me money. The wife was concerned about the durability of the lighter weight saw compared to the 200T. It is not as tough, but we felt that if we could get two seasons out of it, then it was worth the money and it has done that.

My old tendons appreciate the lighter weight saw as well.

DMc

I almost bought a 192t for a backup, liked the weight and the cost. But I saved the extra dough and bought another 200t. Here's why.

1) Your backup saw can become your primary saw at any time.
If you drop the primary saw, the backup could have to suffice for quite awhile.

2) Most Parts don't interchange between the 2 saws.

For 200.00 more , you get the same production should your first saw go down and parts interchangability.

The 192t is a fine saw. But it'll never cut with a 200t.
After considering , I wouldn't buy a 192t for backup if I already had a 200t.

What are you using for your primary saw, boynature ?

Last edited:
Got my 192t last year and use it constantly on my own work. Got a 200t at the company I work for and use it daily. I keep a 16in bar on both. The 200t is a bigger, badder, meaner cutting saw by far and can take the abuse I put on all my equipment. I was kinda worried about the durability of the featherlight all plastic 192t but couldn't afford the 200t when I got my saw. I dropped my 192t from about 40ft last month while cleaning out one of my mother's trees. I winced and cringed while I watched it bounce off 4 limbs before the last 20 or so feet and land ever so gently on a big fat rock. My wife tied it back on and I finished the tree. The 200t is a better saw but the 192t is still good just a little slower and noticably lighter.

Just bought my second 192.. On a whim.... then the 200t's bar tip blew up the next day... good timing... I like the thin bar and chain on the 192... seems to keep the power nearly comprable to the 200t, though I may need to remve the spark arrester on the 200t... MUCH quieter too!... easier to handle in the tree and on the ground... Of course the bar and chain are easily damaged because they are so thin... The 192 requires more gentle handling for that reason, though even when the bar and chain do need to be replaced, it is still worth it to me as the tool's productivity pays for its maintenance and plenty more. It is now the preferred saw for both me and Big Jon....

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input, My primary climbing saw is a 200t, heading into the slower winter months I thought I would save a little jack by going with the 192t . Hope I'm not disappointed. With wood over 12 inches seems I'm hauling up my 361 more and more and flying through logs in a fraction of the time. Much more weight to handle but less time in the tree.

BoyNature

If you are already switching saws as you get into bigger wood, you are on the right track. The 192 is definitely a trimming saw. And some people who are disappointed with them may be trying to ask them to do a job they were not designed to do. If you have to buck down a large stalk, you are definitely wiser to switch to your bigger saw.

That said, I rarely change saws unless the tip is getting buried. Sure you can walk the saw around the tree to cut bigger wood but it is just a good technique to change over at that point to a larger saw.

Using your saws for the purpose they were designed for ensures that they work less and you work less.

D Mc

I bought a 192 last year and I really like the feel to this saw. The weight is less then a 200T and that saves on my arms and elbows. It has enough power for "saw trimming" and small removals. For my primary saw, I have two 200T's that i use daily. The bottom line is, less wear and tear on my joints...Tree

It's a fair saw for what it is. It's lighter with a little less power and a thinner chain. As long as you keep it sharp it good for limbing, just don't plan to buck down very far before switching to your 361. Hey it's a Stihl it ain't bad.

Latest posts

Back