Opinions on this cylinder/piston please? 630 super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Am leaf

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
As above, so below is my saw and it looks like this because the wrist pin is so sloppy it might as well be doing cartwheels in there. Am I missing something?

The saw runs fine but leans out like it has a leak sometimes but it has more power, other times it bogs down cutting a 4 inch branch. I don't get it

Attachments

• 20240228_013751.jpg
    20240228_013751.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240228_013846.jpg
    20240228_013846.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240228_013900.jpg
    20240228_013900.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240228_013915.jpg
    20240228_013915.jpg
  • 20240228_013927.jpg
    20240228_013927.jpg
  • 20240228_014036.jpg
    20240228_014036.jpg
  • 20240228_014052.jpg
    20240228_014052.jpg
It is most certainly not, if the piston was doing somersaults then the con rod was doing backflips.....

Seems all thats worth salvaging is the body. What would you do in this situation?
Piston is WAY worn out and it ate something hard on the intake port, or the worn skirt got the port edge.

Look for a good used OEM cylinder and get a new piston. This is assuming crank is OK.

cylinder looks like it's ready for the recycle bin, take out your wrist pin and see whats going on in there
Wrist pin is shot... I'm entering sunk cost territory. Problem is, I can't afford a new saw and I MUST have something reliable

Attachments

• 17091483114681546459369784837409.jpg
    17091483114681546459369784837409.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
The plating on your cylinder is badly worn and the port edge has lost its plating, its worn out and not fit to put another piston in it, the piston is likely even more worn out beyond being useful, no way we can determine if the crankshaft is even usable for putting a new or even a good used P&C setup on that old worn chassis. Putting time and money into a worn out saw never pays off in the near or far off future.

The crank "might" be ok but I doubt the side bearings are...most likely have been ingesting fine metal flakes for some time now.
Looks like a parts saw for ebay sale....motor is just worn out.:(
Big end rod bearing would be very suspect and we here on the site cannot verify if it is suitable for a rebuild, the OP would need to give it the up/down test for slack. Looking at that wrist pin would make me think the crank has lots of wear also.

IMO that piston and cylinder don’t look all that bad OTHER than the plating being chipped below intake port. Hard to say how long it would live if you put it back together as-is. I can tell you from personal experience OEM 630 pistons and cylinders are quite hard to come by, and they’ll be expensive if you can (eventually) find them. Cylinders pop up on eBay here and there but pistons are rare as hens teeth. Last 630 piston I bought came from France.

I get what you're saying, it's unfortunate but I need to forget this thing for the moment and focus on getting a reliable saw in the mean time
The plating on your cylinder is badly worn and the port edge has lost its plating, its worn out and not fit to put another piston in it, the piston is likely even more worn out beyond being useful, no way we can determine if the crankshaft is even usable for putting a new or even a good used P&C setup on that old worn chassis. Putting time and money into a worn out saw never pays off in the near or far off future.

Big end rod bearing would be very suspect and we here on the site cannot verify if it is suitable for a rebuild, the OP would need to give it the up/down test for slack. Looking at that wrist pin would make me think the crank has lots of wear also.
I can confirm the main crank bearing is gone. I could measure radial play with a steel rule..... I cant imagine an aftermarket crank would be worth it so I guess that's it

I get what you're saying, it's unfortunate but I need to forget this thing for the moment and focus on getting a reliable saw in the mean time
Go find one that runs with low hours and plastic not piston damage but not hit with a skidder.
Have cheap reliable Echos if your interested in a low hours stock CS670. Pull the muffler screen and run it. 500plus shipping. Has no known issues but one. It idols like crap with the chain brake on. It's weird I know but nothing is wrong with it.

I'm probably going to throw it back together but as for having a reliable firewood saw this was a costly mistake due to inexperience.
IMO that piston and cylinder don’t look all that bad OTHER than the plating being chipped below intake port. Hard to say how long it would live if you put it back together as-is. I can tell you from personal experience OEM 630 pistons and cylinders are quite hard to come by, and they’ll be expensive if you can (eventually) find them. Cylinders pop up on eBay here and there but pistons are rare as hens teeth. Last 630 piston I bought came from France.

Eastern Canada, this is the second time I've been burned on a used saw, I get the impression the used market is full of this sort of thing
It is. Very bad here. I buy from private sellers and pawn shops. You develop a radar when you've been wheeling and dealing for decades.

Eastern Canada, this is the second time I've been burned on a used saw, I get the impression the used market is full of this sort of thing
Yes it can be, the used market is best left to those that really know saws as just anyone buying a used saw mostly takes the word of the seller and in many cases the seller is trying to rid himself of a worn out or problematic saw. I am in Nova Scotia and seldom see a ,good low hour saw sell here for a decent price.

Replace with a 266 husky kit. I rebuilt a 630 for a friend that had the 50mm OE husky top end that someone had "ported". I cleaned up the cyl and put a new Meteor Piston kit in it. Works great.
May need to swap carb blocks but those aren't expensive

Latest posts

Back