Opps!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
don't want to derail this thread anymore because holden wood seems he have to prove he's a man to me.

but this is what the power company provides us with to see if lines are live or dead. i keep this guy handy in the pickup. the actual testers stay in the truck. it won't tell you what is flowing but at least if anything is flowing. you can put it on the end of a jameson pole. its sensitive enough to pickup static electricity by rubbing it on your shirt.

tn-1.jpg

IMG_7023.jpg

IMG_3299.jpg

I thought those pics were something else at first!! :laugh:

We do a lot of work for the power companies. You know what a three phase is correct. All three lines are not even carrying the same voltage or frequency and sometimes one is a ground. To generate an arc a hot usually has to come in contact with a ground or different frequency of electricity. So the rope to get a good surge of electricity would have to cross two of the phases.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ftbl5m

Matt actually you are wrong, a 3 phase true 3 phase is carrying the same voltages on Duquesne they are labeled A,B,C phase & will run stand alone nuetral or that nuetral is part of the secondary, an arc can be created many ways & your scenario is one of many, you say you do alot of work for the power companies?

you are not on Duquesne Lights vendor list & only contractors under contract with DL are allowed to work in close proximity to energized conductors (inside the 10ft rule) also to work on the property you have to be a union contractor............Im a little confused as I keep reading your posts that state such, First Energy is the same way, not to be ignorant but you dont have the ability to insure yourself according to their procurement standards!

So whos your Inspector from the utility?

LXT

Matt Im sorry I pretty much gotta laugh, those testers are very old & to use one you have to have taken a glove class, let alone you would need FR clothing, EH rated boots & if you have used that device you have broken every OSHA & ANSI rule, law, regulation there is!!!!!

do you even know what the URD means on the tester? Dude not to be mean but if I would see any tree care company using that tester I would have to turn ya in...............Thats a linemans tool & an out dated one at that, its prolly not even correctly calibrated & needs to be tested di-electrically!

LXT...........

Matt Im sorry I pretty much gotta laugh, those testers are very old & to use one you have to have taken a glove class, let alone you would need FR clothing, EH rated boots & if you have used that device you have broken every OSHA & ANSI rule, law, regulation there is!!!!!

do you even know what the URD means on the tester? Dude not to be mean but if I would see any tree care company using that tester I would have to turn ya in...............Thats a linemans tool & an out dated one at that, its prolly not even correctly calibrated & needs to be tested di-electrically!

LXT...........

They are sent in every six months I think there is a card in the box that says when it was last inspected. I wouldn't be to afraid of being turned into the guys that called us there in the first place. The tester is old I keep it in my pickup for when we go out at night just to not have to take thier word for it, the juice being off that is.

LXT...........

It's cool. It's a huge revenue for us every year so easy it is laughable. I wouldn't be willing to post names of who we work for on the web call me and I'll tell you. Where do you think I acquired six testers like that I'm not Gonna cough up 4gs just for testers.. Not to mention the other stuff

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?hs0mir

I think they saw yer big orange thingy and got excited.

But I don't think you are supposed to be fitting that crane anywhere near wires without covers.

Of course not!! @ 60' that crane just sneaks under the phone lines and grabs the saplings!!

The mythical Big Dog, probably gets the higher stuff with its fly jib, from over the wires..

Edit: I'm sure the big orange thing has its place too, though.

Last edited:
The mythical Big Dog, probably gets the higher stuff with its fly jib, from over the wires..

I just wanna see one pic of it... (well maybe more)

matt, if this thing is that bad ass and is what you say it is there is nothing anybody can say. if I recall the whole start to the pissing match about the other boom was started by the simple fact you and your guy were not wearing hard hats while under the tree you were picking so just shoot the boom and save poor MDS from all this anticipation

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: maybe if we start a chant he'll cave in and show us

Wow BM, glad to hear no one was hurt. I had a little run in with a primary once, scared the crap outta me..

Got a job lined up for a big nasty half dead willow removal. Guess 4 other companys walked away from it, including Davey. No access gotta be done by hand, and its all over the primaries.. No problem, called the city forestry director and CEI, they're going to shut the power off to that block when we do the tree. Neighbors aint gonna like it but we're gonna make some good easy $$ on that one :)

Of course not!! @ 60' that crane just sneaks under the phone lines and grabs the saplings!!

Edit: I'm sure the big orange thing has its place too, though.

The little guy is 70 off the side the center pedis tool adds almost 10 then with 1 manual your over 85. You could put it to 100 if your good with lifting 1k. It's only limited to 1k because that's all the manual extension is rated for once you stick three of them out they get skinnier as you go. If you where just running a bucket you could go pretty high 400 pounds is all you would need left of capacity. 110-120 maybe?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?wjkps5

Last edited:
Glad to see you and your twin showed up with some helpful insight for BM.

The guy already knew what he did wrong, before he even started up the tree!!

Not too much to add to that!! Just saying!

We've all been there though, in some form, or another!

Call it "profile of an accident", maybe..

The guy already knew what he did wrong, before he even started up the tree!!

Not too much to add to that!! Just saying!

We've all been there though, in some form, or another!

Call it "profile of an accident", maybe..

I got LXT riding my back like he's known me forever or has ever even met me, I don't need you doing it to. I said it before tho lets just say I'm lying and I don't do line work. It's good enough for me. I don't care what anyone believes works for me.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?fhjjeq

If anyone wants to see my equipment it will be at an equipment show in August on the 14-15th some of you guys are close enough. If anyone wants to see us not working R.O.W we won't be doing it off old 22 along side the power company for the next couple weeks.

If anyone wants to go to the equipment show let me know. The trucks are getting detailed on Thursday for the fourth of July parade they will be looking prime

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?tc1ktr

If anyone wants to see my equipment it will be at an equipment show in August on the 14-15th some of you guys are close enough. If anyone wants to see us not working R.O.W we won't be doing it off old 22 along side the power company for the next couple weeks.

If anyone wants to go to the equipment show let me know. The trucks are getting detailed on Thursday for the fourth of July parade they will be looking prime

---

Uh, umm if by equipment you mean yer big orange thingy then I am just gonna stay home but thanks for the invite.

But just how close can you get the wires with the crane.... legally. I mean , of course I have almost been fried. Who hasn't?:taped:

---

ok, I'll just jump in my car and I'll be there see you in 10 .... hours

Uh, umm if by equipment you mean yer big orange thingy then I am just gonna stay home but thanks for the invite.

But just how close can you get the wires with the crane.... legally. I mean , of course I have almost been fried. Who hasn't?:taped:

If we are going within 15-20 feet we sleeve them. It can arc pretty far 10 foot isn't out of the question. Legally I think you have to be ten foot from any overhead line I might be a little nervous with a crane that close. With sleeves on it I'll go right up against it within a few inches.

Your right tho Dan anyone doing technical tree work is gonna get scared by the juice sooner or later. If there was never a close call you would be cutting down weak sauce trees.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?gcqgl3

Last edited:
If we are going within 15-20 feet we sleeve them. It can arc pretty far 10 foot isn't out of the question. Legally I think you have to be ten foot from any overhead line I might be a little nervous with a crane that close. With sleeves on it I'll go right up against it within a few inches.

Your right tho Dan anyone doing technical tree work is gonna get scared by the juice sooner or later. If there was never a close call you would be cutting down weak sauce trees.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?gcqgl3

You know, them covers/sheaths really take the fun out of it.

Again I want to reiterermate: its real easy to have the power company sheath the wires. I have been in bad spots but not as bad as some as I have seen or heard. All I can say is that if you don't use the service the power company will perform for free then yer doing it wrong... so stop doing it wrong and for ####'s sake don't expect me to join you, refuse to climb yourself, just don't do it.

Back