Oregon 511AX Vise Update

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kstill361

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This may have already been discussed but if your 511AX vise fails, they will send you a replacement no questions asked. I have a new one on the way.

Also come mid May they will be replacing the vise with a new updated cam lock vice for anyone with issues on their AX grinder. It looks to me like they are going to send out the same vise they are putting on their 520's.

I have the old 109179 hydro grinder that I've had for 10 yrs and just ordered the 551462 today. It should be here tomorrow or Wed. I also have the 511AX which I like but the vise is CRAP!

I just noticed Northern Tool is now selling the 2015 grinders. It looks like all they changed are the colors and the vise on the 520. The hydro model looks just like the 551462 besides the colors. Maybe I'll paint mine before I use it lol.

One of the 2 white plastic rollers on the shaft under the jaws stripped out not from opening to wide but I'm assuming from tightening with too much pressure.

That 520 vise looks like it will work on the 511AX And after mid May they won't be sending any more 511AX vises out for warranty replacements. Customer service told me they will be replacing them with the cam lock and I bet it will be the 520 vise. She told me when the new one she's sending me wears out to just call and she will send me the updated version.

Does the cam vise lock more than one DL tight like on the AX model? That's what I like about the ax vise. I also modified my 109179 rails to hold more links tight. At first it would always rock the tooth back as I was grinding. I'll get a pic.

I made this mod so the rail would clamp 2 DL and now the cutter will not rock back on me at all.

Does the cam vise lock more than one DL tight like on the AX model?
No. On my grinder it basically clamps one drive link in front of the cutter I am sharpening. I learned (from a member here on A.S.) to fully seat each cutter as I tighten the cam so that it is held uniformly and securely.

Here is a pic of the plastic rollers under the rails. The first pic is good but the second pic shows where the right roller is cross threaded on the shaft.
If a full replacement vise was not available, could those rollers be easily replaced by disassembling the part you are showing? In other words, could Oregon/Tecomec make a rebuild kit for these vises?

Philbert

No. On my grinder it basically clamps one drive link in front of the cutter I am sharpening. I learned (from a member here on A.S.) to fully seat each cutter as I tighten the cam so that it is held uniformly and securely.

If a full replacement vise was not available, could those rollers be easily replaced by disassembling the part you are showing? In other words, could Oregon/Tecomec make a rebuild kit for these vises?

Philbert

Yea that's like my older hydro, that's why I cut the rail so it would clamp 2 drivers and now it doesn't rock. The new hydro models have a similar vise to the AX to clamp 3 drivers. I just ordered the 551462 for this reason.

I'm not sure, I haven't looked it over real good yet. I will investigate further later. I'm sure the complete shaft should be replaceable but since they offered a whole new vise with rails, I jumped on it.

Back