Oregon 511AX vs. Maxx 13151

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Kidd

Where's Fish?
Reaction score
Looking to upgrade to a grinder. These two are comparable in price. Input or suggestions welcomed.:help:

I've got the Super Jolly, which is 98% the same as the 511ax. It does a good job, but the vise base is a weak design that is prone to break if you open the vise too far. Several AS members have broken the vise base. It is usually replaced under warranty, and then we learn not to open the vise too far ! ! ! :hmm3grin2orange:

As it comes from the factory, the threads in the motor shaft, where the grinding wheel bolts to the shaft, are an interference fit, and need to be chased with a tap to make the grinder usable. Not a big deal, just annoying.

It's sometimes challenging to see the angle settings on the Super Jolly, because they are obscured by the vise handle.

It's not perfect, but the bottom line is that it produces good chains.

Would I buy it again ? Probably, because I'm not aware of anything better that fits my budget.

If it helps I owned a MAXX then bought a Speed Sharp Auto grinder (made by Tecomec in Italy - just like the 511AX).
I sold the MAXX. Problems I had were inconsistency and a poor table fit on the MAXX which only became apparent AFTER I bought the Speed Sharp and realised just how bad the MAXX was.
Buy the 511AX... :cheers:

I found my boss a Tecomec fl136 over the winter. Haven't used it yet but it seems to be very well made. I'm assuming it's pretty much just a 511 clone, and I think you can get a CBN cutter wheel from Foley-Belsaw for $100 bucks or so that fits those grinders.

I have a 511ax works great. Had a few problems at first with mine. When set at 0 vise was not square. Called oregon and they sent me a new vise. I must say they stand behind their products.

Back