Oregon bench chain grinder question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jibber

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
OK, I finally put out the bucks and bought an Oregon 511AX bench grinder.

I hope the grinder is better than the manual. I figured out (with little help from the manual) how to get it all together. But what I can't figure out is how they expect you to tighten the arbor on the grinding wheel. The motor shaft spins and there is no pin or other way to lock the shaft in place. To make matters worse, with the plastic guard in place there isn't even a way of getting anything in there to grip the shaft.

am I missing something?

anyone who owns one.. help!

Mine takes little pressure to thread the screw in, just the pressure of my finger on the shaft holds the shaft in place until the wheel starts getting tight, then just it is a matter of holding the wheel.

Mine takes little pressure to thread the screw in, just the pressure of my finger on the shaft holds the shaft in place until the wheel starts getting tight, then just it is a matter of holding the wheel.

How do you get your finger in there with the plastic shield?

and how tight does the arbor have to be? I realize you don't want to make it too tight.. you could break the wheel.. but with just getting a finger in there to hold the shaft....?

and then there's the matter of loosening the thing when you want to change wheels.

Can't you just press the wheel against the holder while turning the
wrench? And just hold the wheel when loosening?
I admit my shield is gone, but I do not remember ever having a problem.

Can't you just press the wheel against the holder while turning the
wrench? And just hold the wheel when loosening?
I admit my shield is gone, but I do not remember ever having a problem.

Yep what he said, guard is still on mine, just grab wheel between yer fingers and thumb and hold on. Same for taking wheel off to change.

I am suprised no one has given me any guff yet about the shield. I wear safety glasses and like to see what I am doing.
I took it off once for some reason, and it has been on the shelf since.

I think I was trying some funky angle and it was hitting something.

Back