Oregon law regarding ethanol changed yesterday

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantC

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
As I understand it, as of 1/1/10 Oregon allows fuel dealers to sell ethanol-free premium grade gasoline at any fuel station.

The "hitch" is that regular and 'plus' are still required to have ethanol. Since plus is merely a mixture of regular and premium, most stations built in the last 10 or 15 years mix plus in the pump as it is dispensed. Thus, they only have 2 underground tanks, and can't (if they want to continue to sell plus) carry the premium with no ethanol. If you've followed the logic, this means that the majority of stations simply can't carry the now-allowed ethanol-free premium!

So, Oregon residents, let's use this thread to list any and all dealers you find who are selling ethanol-free premium at the pump. Tell us the name of the station, where it's located, and how you confirmed their gas is ethanol-free. A price would be nice, too!

(Those living in places like Frenchglen, where they don't have to deal with this nonsense at all, are invited to keep their gloating to themselves!)

-=[ Grant ]=-

Don't know whether your situation is like here in the midwest or not, but many stations around here have lots of smaller tanks in the ground: not limited to two
*Reg
*Mid
*Premium
*a few have E0
*rarely race gas (near race tracks, mostly)
*#1 Diesel
*#2 Diesel
*Off-road diesel, sometimes more than one grade.
*Bio-Diesel blends sometimes
*Kerosene, sometimes (some ag areas sell a lot of it for Knipco salamander heaters and its popular for using in small parlor heaters in ice-fishing shelters.

That damn ethanol is one of the biggest scams. In Idaho we can choose, some stations carry it some dont. I get better mileage without it and it is better for the car. Why would you possibly use ethanol? Maybe if I was getting it for 98 cents a gallon I would buy it. Plus if fouls up all you equipment that sits for extended periods. Arggh

A lot of the stations had to replace their tanks due to EPA regs and went as cheap as possible here in Oregon. May not be a lot of places with enough tanks to add the non ethanol.

That damn ethanol is one of the biggest scams. In Idaho we can choose, some stations carry it some dont. I get better mileage without it and it is better for the car. Why would you possibly use ethanol? Maybe if I was getting it for 98 cents a gallon I would buy it. Plus if fouls up all you equipment that sits for extended periods. Arggh

I haven't seen ethanol-free gas in the Boise area in several months. Where do you buy it?

Canyon City - Grant County Oreogn

Jackson's Shell in Canyon City has non-ethanol. You have to get a card from the store and go across the street to the Card-Lock station, then come back and pay at the store, but you can get Premium non-ethanol.

I have been testing for ethanol for over a year now and gave up when it started showing up in 93rm/2. Avgas is more expense for what was allready expensive but I think the piece of mind is worth it, for me anyway.I'm not recommending it just stating how I'm dealing with it. The fact that we had over 85 in of rain this year didn't help.

I'll start asking around and see if any in the area have started selling it.

I know in Salem Mark Nelson Oil Products used to sell non-ethanol gas, but it was for off road use only and about thirty cents more per gallon. Been some time since I was there so I don't know if they still do, but they would be a good place to check.

Mr. HE:cool:

Yes, Nelson still has it (at least, as of a month or so ago.) It's regular, unfortunately, and as you note more expensive. I'm told it was "intended" to be distributed to marinas, but they'd sell it to anyone with their own container.

-=[ Grant ]=-

So, Oregon residents, let's use this thread to list any and all dealers you find who are selling ethanol-free premium at the pump. Tell us the name of the station, where it's located, and how you confirmed their gas is ethanol-free. A price would be nice, too!

(Those living in places like Frenchglen, where they don't have to deal with this nonsense at all, are invited to keep their gloating to themselves!)

-=[ Grant ]=-

The station at 97 & Burgess Road in La Pine ("Wikiup Junction") has carried it for quite a while.

The Shell station on 3rd Ave. just north of Greenwood Ave. in Bend has it at a separate pump in the back.

huh?

As I understand it, as of 1/1/10 Oregon allows fuel dealers to sell ethanol-free premium grade gasoline at any fuel station.

The "hitch" is that regular and 'plus' are still required to have ethanol.

Since plus is merely a mixture of regular and premium, most stations built in the last 10 or 15 years mix plus in the pump as it is dispensed.

Thus, they only have 2 underground tanks,

and can't (if they want to continue to sell plus) carry the premium with no ethanol. If you've followed the logic, this means that the majority of stations simply can't carry the now-allowed ethanol-free premium!

-=[ Grant ]=-

your last statement makes no sense.... if they have a tank of Efree premium and a tank of regular w/E.... mix at pump....

what am I missing?

your last statement makes no sense.... if they have a tank of Efree premium and a tank of regular w/E.... mix at pump....

what am I missing?

Because gasoline is mandated to have 10% ethanol. If they mix regular that has ethanol with premium that doesn't, the resulting mix will only have 5% ethanol, below the legal requirement. It would be unsalable.

Clear?

-=[ Grant ]=-

Latest posts

Back