OT - 2 Stroke Mowers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a '95 lawnboy commercial unit with the cast aluminum deck and 1 gallon tank. Fill it up every few months and let it go. Awesome mower. I love the staggered wheel design. The front discharge is unmatched by any other walk behind, IMO.

IMO, most of the Lawn-boy consumer units after the late 1960's were, well, consumer units. The cast decks were light and some of them literally crumbled apart. For all I know, the issues were metallugy, not design, but all the same...Those commercial units were better.

I just never get excited about anything that uses a design that is "optomised" for its intended use. Including Lawn Boy: later units just barely stout enough to withstand the load, with non-adjustable throttles/governors, and they just look "cheap" under the cowlings.

When I was a kid, one of my friends and I built a go-devil (mini-bike) using a Jacobsen lawnmower engine for power. We got a lot of ideas from a motored bicycle my uncle had made using a 1950's Lawn boy engine. During those years, lawn equipment engines were still more along the lines of multi-purpose industrial powerplants adaptable to anything and everything...on a lawnmower. That Jake mower's deck broke when my sister tried mowing a rock, but the motor ran our mini-bike for a long time after that.

Those designs lasted into the early 1980's with commercial equipment. Suzuki and Kawasaki, and I think Kioritzu (Echo) all made small two-strokes that could be adapted to lawnmowers. The OPE distributorship I was employed by in the 1980's sold Gilson, Jacobsen, Ariens, and Skags with two-strokes, but the only mowers Gilson sold had a little Techumseh. They were cheap, and the decks rotted out about the time the motor bit the dust.

I imagine some of those heavy commercial Skags and Jakes are running today. Ariens didn't push their walk-behind equipment at all, and I don't remember ever selling any. I think they were under-appreciated for their tractors, however. The Allis-Chalmers dealers sold lots of them, but we had a hard time breaking into that market with Ariens...but I digress.

Lawn-boy M series. The finest walk-behind mower ever made, IMHO...;)

LawnboyM002.jpg

Somebody give this man some rep for that beautiful mower poorn!

Hubba hubba Daddy likes...

herd of goats. A 2.5 gallon of Round-Up. I ain't pushed mowed in years,LOL

I have now put 12 litres of nuclear holocaust strength glyphosate on about 600 sg ft of creeping bell flower growing in flower beds and into our lawn.... this plant is resistant to glyph, and it just laughs at 2-4-D. Dicamba is supposed to be effective but can leach through soil and kil tress I've read. I'm starting to hate this "flower". I also have roundup ready Canola growing all over my 10,000 sq ft of gravel driveway. Just plain old grass cutting is soothing by comparison

My wife picked me up this 6.5hp self-propelled LawnBoy last summer at a garage sale for $125.00 with low hours,hope it lasts awhile.The trimmer was new for $40,00 at the same garage sale.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

I wish we could get the older Victa mowers here in the states. My aunt had one for years when she lived in Sydney and it was a great unit. I peruse the old Victa commercials on youtube from time to time, they're hilarious.

I was actually looking at the lawn boy 4 stroke mower at home depot. My girlfriend and I have a lawncare business and a push mower would come in handy.

Toro/Lawn-boy, same company. They have not made a two smoker in years. I have seen a few nice looking ones at the local lawn mower dealer around here. Check around you may find one locally. Toro still has parts for them. Also Techumseh also made some vertical shaft 2T motors. I had one years ago on a Snapper. I LOVED IT. (till if found is way to the bottom of a lake)

I have now put 12 litres of nuclear holocaust strength glyphosate on about 600 sg ft of creeping bell flower growing in flower beds and into our lawn.... this plant is resistant to glyph, and it just laughs at 2-4-D. Dicamba is supposed to be effective but can leach through soil and kil tress I've read. I'm starting to hate this "flower". I also have roundup ready Canola growing all over my 10,000 sq ft of gravel driveway. Just plain old grass cutting is soothing by comparison

Dunno what is restricted up there, but Gromoxone(Paraquat) and Glufosinate(Rely) burns 'em down and neither is a threat to the trees.

It might be time to sterilize though.

I hear ya on the RR crops and the newly Glyphos resistant weeds.
Monsanto said nothing would ever become resistant....yeah right.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Back