OT It only took me 21 yrs...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wife'nHubby

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
(OT = Off Topic)

It only took me 21 yrs. to, once again, tow a trailer on the freeway. :) I had an 'on-road/off-road, 45 degrees down a sand hill, jack knifed boat' experience 21 yrs. ago which was VERY impressive. Consequently, I think I had subconsciously outlawed trailer towing on the freeway. Now, having only one driver in the household, that challenge had to be met.

Well, I did it - I towed my new-to-me trailer on the freeway a couple of weeks ago. Trailer was empty except for a 8' ladder so I had great visibility in all directions which somewhat calmed me down.

After my white knuckle 45-minute drive I even called our sons and told them "Mom did it and she didn't even go 'off road' this time." :)

To further my 'therapy' in this endeavor, last weekend I was conned into towing our little fishing boat & launching it with my new-to-me "Backing A Trailer" skills down a single lane 800' launch which had no turn around. :) No, I didn't get to go fishing - another family member was using the boat and the hookwinked me into hauling the boat to the lake and launching for them. Again - I did it! :)

I'd take hubby fishing but that 'trailer-hauling-launching-loading-the-boat' thing has been holding me back as I can't count on hubby's help. Also, that 45 degree down hill thing is very much the same feeling as a boat launch......

Now, if anyone knows of a boat launch with a roller bed on level ground I could figure out how to reverse my winch to pull the boat down to the lake and then back on to the trailer, let me know.

It's the little things in life...

Shari

Simple solution, been using for years, got from old farmer : Put a trailer ball/hitch on the front of the vehicle. Makes those nasty ,no turn around approaches, ect. a piece of cake. Works really well with 2 wheel (rear) drive units as you do not get on the slippery stuff on the boat ramp.

Got a new to me mistress here also. her name is Remmi, 3 year old springer. Something is a-wall on my box can't upload pics.

Last edited:
Oh Sharri...do I need to come over there and help you get over your fear of launching a boat....piece of cake...

Oh Sharri...do I need to come over there and help you get over your fear of launching a boat....piece of cake...

It's the downward pitch of launches that sets me off.

What's the cure for that?

I truly don't know if a front ball would help in my therapy :) or not. I'd still have to deal with the downward pitch of the launch.

Shari

True on the down pitch, but it is a lot easier if you can see it out front rather than all scrunched around looking out the back. It is a lot easier to control the trailer pushing it in front of you. Length of the tongue makes a big difference, My skid steer trailer is much easier to back up with than my little 4 x 8 footer, I can't even see it out the back unless the tailgate is down.

Good to hear youve gotten over your fear Shari. You need lots of practice on a not so busy boat ramp. I see newb backers get really flustered at public ramps with long lines of fishermen waiting their turn.:smile2:

Backing up

(OT = Off Topic)

It only took me 21 yrs. to, once again, tow a trailer on the freeway. :) I had an 'on-road/off-road, 45 degrees down a sand hill, jack knifed boat' experience 21 yrs. ago which was VERY impressive. Consequently, I think I had subconsciously outlawed trailer towing on the freeway. Now, having only one driver in the household, that challenge had to be met.

Well, I did it - I towed my new-to-me trailer on the freeway a couple of weeks ago. Trailer was empty except for a 8' ladder so I had great visibility in all directions which somewhat calmed me down.

After my white knuckle 45-minute drive I even called our sons and told them "Mom did it and she didn't even go 'off road' this time." :)

To further my 'therapy' in this endeavor, last weekend I was conned into towing our little fishing boat & launching it with my new-to-me "Backing A Trailer" skills down a single lane 800' launch which had no turn around. :) No, I didn't get to go fishing - another family member was using the boat and the hookwinked me into hauling the boat to the lake and launching for them. Again - I did it! :)

I'd take hubby fishing but that 'trailer-hauling-launching-loading-the-boat' thing has been holding me back as I can't count on hubby's help. Also, that 45 degree down hill thing is very much the same feeling as a boat launch......

Now, if anyone knows of a boat launch with a roller bed on level ground I could figure out how to reverse my winch to pull the boat down to the lake and then back on to the trailer, let me know.

It's the little things in life...

Shari

Take advantage of how your brain works. Backing up is very similar to going forward, except it is as mirror image-a reverse- to your brain. So "mirror image" your hands on the steering wheel. Now your brain will perceive it as normal, and you already have the "muscle memory" for steering.

When backing up, say you are twisted around looking or using your mirrors, put your hand at the *bottom* of the wheel, not towards the top as in going forward normal driving. Exactly at six o'clock. Now, turn the wheel the direction you want the trailer to go in.

Try that, makes it loads easier.

When backing up, say you are twisted around looking or using your mirrors, put your hand at the *bottom* of the wheel, not towards the top as in going forward normal driving. Exactly at six o'clock. Now, turn the wheel the direction you want the trailer to go in.

That's what a driving instructor told me years ago when I was getting my CDL...works great.

Kevin

Take advantage of how your brain works. Backing up is very similar to going forward, except it is as mirror image-a reverse- to your brain. So "mirror image" your hands on the steering wheel. Now your brain will perceive it as normal, and you already have the "muscle memory" for steering.

hmmmmmmm.cool..thanks.....

Latest posts

Back