OT - Who knows anything about McCulloch outboard engines?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old thread, but I thought I'd add that Robert McCulloch's uncle was Ralph Evinrude and he was married to a Briggs (i.e. Briggs & Stratton). Milwaukee would have been a hopping industrial town in the day.

There was once an episode of "Route 66" related Robert McCulloch and his venture in boat engines...I seem to remember a claim about 1 HP per In³ and that was 50 or so years ago.

Mark

The McCulloch and Scott Atwater were not reliable outboards even during their prime.They were very troublesome needing almost constant repair, leaking gaskets, plug fouling, overheating and recoil problems made them less than desirable. We had the 10 and 12 HP models and they were plagued from the outset. Viking, Evenrude,Johnson and Merc built far superior outboards during that time. Living here on the water we have run them all.
An oldie like that would be an intresting collector, don`t depend on it getting you anywhere on the water.

I've wrestled with them dogs (all different sizes) and what the guy says here is right on. The old Gale (Gale was former name of Johnson about time of Scott McCulloch)/Johnson/Evinrude's were far superior and could be trusted. You cannot trust a Scott Hotwater at all.

The Scott-Atwaters has a very weak wimpy gearing clutch dog system plus lots of other issues, parts hard to find and expensive. You need a real good paddle and a strong trolling motor battery if you are going to try a Scott.
They will quit every time you get downstream or if a headwind comes up.
A Scott-Hotwater adds new meaning to the old phrase "Up xxit creek without a paddle";)

They may have been fast racing motors but in ordinary everyday working conditions they sucked. Too bad, they had a very distinctive look and stood out, very recognizable even from a distance.

testing-engines.jpg

Latest posts

Back