Ouch, bleepin farmers!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuleyJ

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well the wife said she needed some noodles for something she was makin so I said OK and......................

attachment.php

attachment.php

has not been long enough since that has happened last. Now I have a whole chain that looks like that. This little sucker was pretty well hidden though. The nail head was about 3" deep and no real scar that I could see. I should learn how to be a wood whisperer, might save me some chains. Bleepin farmers!:hmm3grin2orange:

Well the wife said she needed some noodles for something she was makin so I said OK and......................

has not been long enough since that has happened last. Now I have a whole chain that looks like that. This little sucker was pretty well hidden though. The nail head was about 3" deep and no real scar that I could see. I should learn how to be a wood whisperer, might save me some chains. Bleepin farmers!:hmm3grin2orange:

:censored: I hate when that happens. I have yet to tag a nail. but I've "found" a tree stand spike before... Oh and that bullet...

:censored: I hate when that happens. I have yet to tag a nail. but I've "found" a tree stand spike before... Oh and that bullet...

Did the bullet do any real damage? The reason why I ask is because I hit dozens of bullets in a log I was cutting on my band mill, and it really had no effect on the blade, I've even hit them with the planer and the knives were ok as well.
I believe it was because most of the bullets are just soft lead. Some do have copper jackets, but even those didn't dull the band mill blade.:cheers:

Last edited:
Yesterday I hit some iron with my stump grinder, no harm done but you sure feel sick when it happens.:cry:

Your chain don't look bad, when I hit nails (3/8th chain) it usually takes the top of the cutter completely off.

404 chain will chew and spit nails.

Yesterday I hit some iron with my stump grinder, no harm done but you sure feel sick when it happens.:cry:

Your chain don't look bad, when I hit nails (3/8th chain) it usually takes the top of the cutter completely off.

404 chain will chew and spit nails.

I kinda got lucky and hit it on the side. The last time it was a staple and it hit square. This chain is still fixable, that one was not.

A big percentage of the trees on my farm have barbed wire in them. I have no idea what their thinking was on where they put pastures and hog lots. Seems like posts were out of the question. If one dies you just cut it about 4 feet up, or else sparks will fly.

Thing is, 40 years ago the trees werent there, just a new fence. Now the posts have broken and the wire has rusted apart in places and they have to nail it off to the trees over the years. Then the trees grow into it.

I have to cut trees like this all day to clear out old fence rows and build new fences. Sucky job and hard on chains. You learn how to read the trees though. But you will slip up on occasion.

And oh yea, Im a farmer too. :cheers:

OUCH!!

I have a couple custom chains just like that one!

On a bright note, that appears to be a newish chain with plenty of room for hitting a couple more fencerow surprises.:cry:

The only thing worse than finding junk in the wood, is finding junk ya knew was there and just didn't cut far enough away from it.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I do here Humbly appologize for being an a:censored:hole.

Sincerly
Muffler Bearing

I Stihl Don't Like You Guys.

I suppose in the spirit of forgiveness I should humbly apologize for being a farmer as well, but I like you military guys just fine!:cheers:

Been helping a friend cut up some trees our villiage had removed. Plenty of nails, even a little concrete.
Luckily my friend has a grinder....I wouldn't want to be hand filing a 36" chain 3 times a day....

Ed

Why you blaming Farmers. Did you starve to death?
Farmers pay retail and sell at wholesale prices.
Don't blame farmers everytime your world aint perfect.

Farmer Frank

LOL
Us farmers get called everything under the sun. We have the thickest skins you will ever find. Be it from the hot sun beating on us, or the motorist mad and shouting at us. We take all teh comments said to us and sweep them under the rug at night. The next day we get up and go right back to raising food to feed the masses.
Been farmin all my life. Milkin cows full time since I was 15. Had life but a very enjoyable one.
Bob

OUCH!!

I have a couple custom chains just like that one!

On a bright note, that appears to be a newish chain with plenty of room for hitting a couple more fencerow surprises.:cry:

The only thing worse than finding junk in the wood, is finding junk ya knew was there and just didn't cut far enough away from it.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote
LOL... Two years ago I cut up a huge Red Oak that died. About 8 years ago I had a treestand for deer hunting on it. The stand was a portable removable stand. I pounded a 16d nail into it to hold my bow. Once I dropped the tree, I searched and found the nail. I started bucking up the tree, splitting and loading and forgot about the ONE nail in it. Sure enough I was bucking another piece when I seen a bunch of sparks. I ended up cutting through the nail LENGHTWISE!! Basically ground the entire nail gone. The chain was toast. I think the odds would be something like 9,000,000,000 :1 on hitting the nail. I did it! :)

The only land I cut on is farmland and most is fencerows! My buds are farmers so I can relate. To them trees are just lost acres!

But that line about payin retail for everything ...gotta call ya on that one! I wish I could buy fuel for half price and write off chainsaws, quads, horses, clothing, every vehicle under the sun, all the tools, heck even rifles and ammo! Everything a farmer buys is a writeoff against that crop sold at wholesale prices. Not sayin it shouldn't be that way cuz not too many farmers I know are rich but paying retail is not really how it is~!

The only land I cut on is farmland and most is fencerows! My buds are farmers so I can relate. To them trees are just lost acres!

But that line about payin retail for everything ...gotta call ya on that one! I wish I could buy fuel for half price and write off chainsaws, quads, horses, clothing, every vehicle under the sun, all the tools, heck even rifles and ammo! Everything a farmer buys is a writeoff against that crop sold at wholesale prices. Not sayin it shouldn't be that way cuz not too many farmers I know are rich but paying retail is not really how it is~!

Its a small wonder that the welfare bill created in the 1930s is also the one that still helps the big farmer......Farming is the only occupation that I know of if that you fail, the insurance and govt pay you more money to do so...And yes I farm on a very small scale, but I know with crop insurance and govt kick backs I would be money ahead if I never even had to harvest a crop, just disk it under.

Latest posts

Back