Our "Summer" So Far

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks nice. I have to let my blood supply recover from camping in a mosquito patch, and then The Used Dog and I will go exploring again.

It is a banner year for skeeters. Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. :msp_ohmy:

We are just starting the second week of the annual flood control project in the river channel and all anyone talks about is the bugs. I'm not exaggerating when I say there are zillions of bugs! The swallows are flying constantly right above our heads. They are beginning to look like bumble bees and I am expecting them to start dropping out of the sky because they are too fat to fly.

On the good side the temps are cooler than in years past. A kid who worked with us 5 years ago came by on his skateboard and said he thought it seemed cooler than the year he worked. It may just be the breeze that lingers all day long but I like it.

It's been a mild summer on our side of the hill. Temps have stayed in the low 90s. Really, that's mild for here in August. No big fires yet, either, and some of the creeks that are usually dry by now still have water.

Haaarrrrrrrrrrrh. There be a good gale blowin' and bringin' the fog back in. If the dog don't bark and the phone don't ring, might be a good night to get some shuteye....Haaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrh.

Saw some really cute pirate shoes this weekend. A little 14 month old girl had black shoes with the pirate skull on them. But they were girl pirates because the skulls had pink bows attached. Pirate fashions, who'da thunk it.

My folks called earlier this afternoon... 95 days of above 100 degrees this year. New record.

Our turn for a howling gale, looks and feels like November, without the rain.

Will we see you on the weather channel?

I am glad it cooled off. The bees are slow. I discovered a ground nest. I am waiting a bit and will have to take care of them. They are in the middle of a project area.

Now, go to the store and buy bread, milk and bleach. I have no idea why, but that seems to be the thing to do. :smile2:

Probably not, just a fairweather gale, sure roughed up the ocean. To the east and north, there are frost warnings, the Siskiyous and the upper Klamath Basin are going to have a chilly night.

Was at our annual Trappers Rendezvous this weekend at Omak. 97 degrees and when I got home 54 degrees so 43 degree differential east side to west side. A shock to the system that hot weather for me.

Yesterday the 29th our fishwrapper reported 26 days of fog in August. I have no idea why they did not wait till the first or second of September to write the article. "Our" paper sucks. Anyway I was really grateful for how long the fog hung around each day. It outlasted our veg management project and is still showing up each night now that we are in a fuels reduction contract. We have another short contract next week. I will keep doing my fog dance.

Was at our annual Trappers Rendezvous this weekend at Omak. 97 degrees and when I got home 54 degrees so 43 degree differential east side to west side. A shock to the system that hot weather for me.

seems like a bigger difference than usual this year. Been hot here for awhile, lot's of fires burning in Central Oregon.

Tomorrow's supposed to be the last cool day here for a bit. Great. I just got the green light to go back to work, in a highly-limited capacity, and now I gotta miss out on a couple MORE weeks of haz pay and OT? I'll be scratching at my own eyes by Friday!

(err, that is, scratching with my left hand, as the right one is still in a cast for the foreseeable future)

Latest posts

Back