Our "Summer" So Far

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have had a wet / cold unpredictable summer, it's only the end of Aug and all the broadleafs are turning their leafs which is about 5/6 early. On the radio couple of days ago there was a quip about hurricance Irene, it had been downgraded again to an " Irish summer " The front seat of my jeep looks like charity shop clothes bin, waterproof jackets, spare shirts, fleece's I'm looking forward to winter at least I know what to expect ! All that said it's a nice clear morning and I can see Mt Snowden across the sea in Wales a two and a half hour ferry trip away so maybe a good day in store. All of you have a good safe day.

Autumn is here! Lingonberry season, mushroom season and of course hunting season. Bear hunting started 20th of August - I think they've got 70 licences to kill on the area. I'm not a bear killer, never took a shot on one. I predict all I will do this autumn is a grouse or two, maybe a goose if ran into one. I'm just too tired to run around the woods with an rifle.

I had a good mate during the summer. I worked most of the summer within few square kilometers just 15-20 kilometers out of town. A bear left his marks everywhere. I noticed fresh tracks, messed up ant's nests and rotten logs he'd been rolling during the night, and sometimes I felt his eyes on my back. We got along really good. A fellow living in the area said he's a big boy over 500 pounds of weight: He saw the bear chasing a moose last spring. On 19th of August I saw the last track of him: A big pile of fresh berry crap he'd dropped on a road. After that, nothing. The bear hunters have walked their dogs in the area without any result, he's gone. The local fellow told me the big boy does that every year. As soon as the shooting starts, he'll run behind the border of Russia to hibernate and comes back the next spring.

last week I was scraping my windshield in the a.m., feeling like fall. Now we're IFPL III, for I think the first time this year - and it's September. Kinda odd.

Autumn has it's downs too. Yesterday I had to go to a doctor. The last visit was over 3 years ago when a whipper broke my ear... My throat began to swell and threatened to close down my air. Well, I took the fast drive from the bush to the emergency room. The medicine man examined me, the only thing was his vocabulary wasn't wide enough that he could understand I was telling him about the forests and what I do. He couldn't speak any other civil language either for being a Frenchie. OK, my French is all insults and other obscenities, but he knew his trade. He ran some tests and most of all he found a tiny biting mark of a "little flying animal" on my throat. It wasn't a wasp or a yellow jacket, that I would have noticed for sure. A shot of cortisone and antihistamine opened the wind pipe alright. And passed me out like a candle in the wind.

On my list of suspects this bug holds the number one:

220px-Lipoptena_cervi_1.jpg

We call it a "moose fly". They emerge late July-early August and keep flying until October. Their bites hasn't done me any harm before, but it's not unusual among the forest workers that after prolonged exposure one may get allergic to their bites - and I'm afraid that has happened to me now. I know some fellers who had to retire from the woods because of that.

I have heard that same thing about prolonged exposure and have seen it in others. I was told on one of my ER visits (not insect related) that after years of getting away with multiple stings, that an allergic reaction could occur without warning. The same ER Doc believed that my fast metabolic rate converted venom rapidly, so I suffered little compared to others. I will admit to feeling a bit woozy once after soaking up more than 10 stings at one time.
The Scorpion in the shirt sleeve was another story, had to sit and think about that for awhile.

Yup & we could all wake up dead tomorrow morning. If your body was stressed out multiple yellow jacket stings/bites could kill you.

I uncovered 2 little scorpions this spring. First I have seen "here" in 20 yr.

I have learned some things in life can be adequately experienced by reading about it. Therefore I did not antanogize the one that lived.

I have a permanent memory of that event, a Scorpion's venom contains neurotoxins and enzyme inhibitors, meaning it attacks the nerves and tissue. It took awhile to heal the wound, the nerves still react, Annie pinches me there and it smarts.
The little bastard went up my sleeve when I was digging out a bunch of crap, from under a blown down second growth Redwood. I had snagged an extra set of chokers to help out and get logs out of my way. When I stood up and yanked the choker tight, the son of a ##### jabbed me on the back of bicep. I pinched it in the cloth and wadded it up. I shook it and a quarter pound of misc debris out of my sleeve, it was 3 inches long, the choker setter was more upset than I was. Oh yeah, it felt like a red hot nail.

I have a permanent memory of that event, a Scorpion's venom contains neurotoxins and enzyme inhibitors, meaning it attacks the nerves and tissue. It took awhile to heal the wound, the nerves still react, Annie pinches me there and it smarts.
The little bastard went up my sleeve when I was digging out a bunch of crap, from under a blown down second growth Redwood. I had snagged an extra set of chokers to help out and get logs out of my way. When I stood up and yanked the choker tight, the son of a ##### jabbed me on the back of bicep. I pinched it in the cloth and wadded it up. I shook it and a quarter pound of misc debris out of my sleeve, it was 3 inches long, the choker setter was more upset than I was. Oh yeah, it felt like a red hot nail.

We have those little brown buggers here too. Lived with an outhouse for a few years, I was in the habit of lifting the lid to check for biters before I sat down. Sure enough, lifted the seat once and there was a scorpion nesting between the seat and the poopdeck.

Last edited:
I turned a large rock over thinking I would put it in a wall. It was cold enough they didn't move.

One got smashed when I turned the rock over.

I have returned from spending a few days watching boats and ships sail by.

I am ready to go back. Our valley is smoky today. The wind must be bringing up the smoke from Oregon. When The Used Dog jumped out of the air conditioned pickup, he made a beeline for the house. The house is a bit cooler than outside. It has not been opened up at night though, so is warmer than it should be.

You Oregon People need to put out those Oregon fires...:msp_smile:

Guess I shouldn't say that. We camped at the fairgrounds. It was cheap with clean restrooms and showers. At the other end was a fire camp. It disbanded yesterday.

yah got a big fire over on satus pass, might be some of your smoke (I was going to head up 97 this weekend, put it off as they seem to be closing the hwy at times). maybe more likely the dollar lake fire on he north slope of Hood

Autumn has it's downs too. Yesterday I had to go to a doctor. The last visit was over 3 years ago when a whipper broke my ear... My throat began to swell and threatened to close down my air. Well, I took the fast drive from the bush to the emergency room. The medicine man examined me, the only thing was his vocabulary wasn't wide enough that he could understand I was telling him about the forests and what I do. He couldn't speak any other civil language either for being a Frenchie. OK, my French is all insults and other obscenities, but he knew his trade. He ran some tests and most of all he found a tiny biting mark of a "little flying animal" on my throat. It wasn't a wasp or a yellow jacket, that I would have noticed for sure. A shot of cortisone and antihistamine opened the wind pipe alright. And passed me out like a candle in the wind.

On my list of suspects this bug holds the number one:

220px-Lipoptena_cervi_1.jpg

We call it a "moose fly". They emerge late July-early August and keep flying until October. Their bites hasn't done me any harm before, but it's not unusual among the forest workers that after prolonged exposure one may get allergic to their bites - and I'm afraid that has happened to me now. I know some fellers who had to retire from the woods because of that.

Made some testing this today. I dropped a birch right on a wasp's underground nest. I didn't notice it though, it was kinda twilight, early morning and heavy rain. I went on limbing until I realized they're everywhere on me. Well, the doc assumed earlier I was hit by a wasp or a bee or something with a sting. And that nearly caused strangulation. I had enough stings I thought I'm about to find out really soon if he was right. Should I call someone? No, I decided to cut some timber while waiting.

It turned out to be a business as usual. No swelling or fainting or anything. I've never before been pleased of being hit. The little buggers made my day. Although two of them got my right ear and I still feel an electric shock when something touches it.

There was moose flies too. I suppose I got bit. You never know about the moose fly bites - you will feel the abscesses the day after.

Back