outside air connection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammmitc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
will an outside air connection make much of a difference when using a large fireplace insert and blowers?

Was reading through some other posts tonight when the light finally went on about a problem I've been having. Insert is hot but the house is not, think I might have negative pressure with both fans running pulling cold air into the house instead of having positive pressure.

What do you think?

You pretty much have it figured.

One other benefit to outside air is that it is more dense.

Are you figuring on connecting outside air somehow?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Your situation appears to be the norm for most. Most people can't figure out why their gas bill doesn't go down while using a fireplace/insert.

The massive amount of air going up your chimney needs to be replaced from somewhere, and right now, that's cold air from every crack and crevice in the exterior of your home. The relatively small amount of heat radiated from the surface of your insert is hard pressed to offset the amount of cold air it is voraciously sucking into the house.

Rig up a feed tube for that thing and start enjoying the benefits of an outside air kit.

TS

I have an ash door in the bottom of my existing brick fireplace that has a door that goes to the outside, will use that as my connection.

my insert is a Quadrafire 5100i, just needs the plate on the back moved around to the front of the stove to cover any inside air going in. The ash door will line up with where it pulls air for the stove so it should work out. If it works, I will drill the outside door and put some type of vent on it so the critters don't get in.

thanks for your help, was really racking my brain trying to figure out what was wrong.:clap: :clap: :clap: :cheers:

IMHO, another benefit to a positively preasurized house is that any leaks will leak a little warm air out instead of leaking cold air in. A little warm air leaking out is not noticable, but a cold draft is uncomfortable (causing most people to turn up the thermostat). Either way the air has to be heated so it doesn't matter whether a little is leaking in or out.

Latest posts

Back