OWB temp gauge ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chugbug

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My new OWB has the temp gauge behind the rear cover where the pumps are mounted , most of the stove co. i've seen position the gauge where its easy to see on the side or front , I haven't had a chance to ask the dealer about this yet . I don't have it up and running yet , but isn't it nice to have easy access to the gauge ?? any ideas ??

Welcome to A.S. What kind of OWB do you have?

LT...

Have one inside

My new OWB has the temp gauge behind the rear cover where the pumps are mounted , most of the stove co. i've seen position the gauge where its easy to see on the side or front , I haven't had a chance to ask the dealer about this yet . I don't have it up and running yet , but isn't it nice to have easy access to the gauge ?? any ideas ??

Have at least 2 (I have 4) inside temp gauges. I have a water to water HX with a gauge on each inlet/outlet. This give you a good picture of what is going on with the whole system from one spot (inside warm and dry)

Last edited:
Its a brand new model 300 Mahoning , There made in Mahaffey PA. , and we have a good dealer in the area. One more weekend and it should be up and running . Don't understand why they hid the temp gauge behind the panel and not keep it outside so you could refer to it and see if the water temp is up or not .

Scooter what gauges did you go with for the inside ?? sounds like a nice option .

Last edited:
Its a brand new model 300 Mahoning , There made in Mahaffey PA. , and we have a good dealer in the area. One more weekend and it should be up and running . Don't understand why they hid the temp gauge behind the panel and not keep it outside so you could refer to it and see if the water temp is up or not .

Scooter what gauges did you go with for the inside ?? sounds like a nice option .

I use CB gauges check the photos for how it's done.
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=78767&d=1222469697
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=1159795#post1159795

Last edited:
Hey chugbug, it's good to see a fellow member on here with a Mahoning. I too have a model 300. This is the second winter heating with it. You will love it! I too have wondered why the temp gauge is in the back and not the front. I hate having to pull the cover off to check the water temp. How many sq. feet will you be heating with your 300? I am heating around 3100 sq.ft. How many zones/pumps are you going to run? I am running 2 and a flatplate heat exchanger for my domestic hot water. Post some pics of your install when you get a chance. Take care.:greenchainsaw:

Hey WVwoodsman , It is good to hear from another Mahoning owner . I don't see much on the forums about them . There made here in PA so there pretty popular in this area . I'll be heating 2800 sq. ft. total with my shop and house . I did alot of the install myself but I'm letting the plumbing up to the dealer .He mounted one flatplate on my hot water oil furnace and the smaller flatplate that came with the unit out on the wood furnace itself for the DHW. I'll be using one pump for the house and the other pump for my shop connected to two heat exchangers . The oil furnace should kick on automatically if the Mahoning goes out or if the temp drops to a certain point and will also will be used if I go away in the heating season and keep the system from freezing .Hope I can keep up with its demand for wood !! The shop will only be heated when I'm there and to keep things from freezing and the house is only 1000 sq. ft.

How much wood do you figure your burning a season ?? Any tips for running this thing would be appreciated I'm real close now !!

As for wood, I keep my wood shed filled which is 24ft long by 8ft. wide. I also have an area behind my garage which is about 15ft by 12ft filled too. As I use wood I try not to let my supply get too low and I replenish it to make sure I have enough. I figure that I burned around 10 cords last year. I am lucky enough to get most of my wood from a log yard for free. Right now I have my aquastat set at 160 which helps to save some wood and once it gets colder I will bump up the temp to around 170. I hope this helps, you will enjoy the heat and the savings too!

Back