Painting Magnesium

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have painted a few of them and start out with the preparation which takes a lot longer than the paint application. I strip all the parts off the saw and do a thorough cleaning, put all the removable covers,shields et. to be painted in the dishwasher and run them through. Then strip all of the old paint off,optional as you could sand off all you can and leave any paint that is sound, I sand blast with double 00 sand, then sand with 230 grit aluminun oxide paper. Magnesium is very porous and has a lot of oil in the pores of a used chainsaw so I wash all the parts a second time in near boiling water and detergent to get all the oil out. When dry I apply etching primer over all bare metal parts. For paint I have used automotive acrylic enamel, base clearcoat ,urethane and two part epoxy all are gas resistant and available from automotive paint suppliers mixed to match your color required. I spray with an HVLP Divilbis spray gun using a inline water trap and 40 lbs of line pressure,usually at least 2 coats of color. After they cure for a couple of days I reassemble the parts and usually wait for a week before putting fuel in the tank. All the ones I have done are still holding up well with 5-6 years of use on them since painting.
Pioneerguy600

What is a good paint for the plastic parts if I might ask?:chainsaw:

The automotive paint suppliers around here all have a type of paint that will apply nicely over vinyl and plastic, one is called plastic coate and another is Nason Brand, ICI ,Sherwin Williams and Auto Pro all make paint that will go on over plastic if the parts are completely degreased and lightly buffed with scotchbrite.
Pioneerguy600

I have painted a few of them and start out with the preparation which takes a lot longer than the paint application. I strip all the parts off the saw and do a thorough cleaning, put all the removable covers,shields et. to be painted in the dishwasher and run them through. Then strip all of the old paint off,optional as you could sand off all you can and leave any paint that is sound, I sand blast with double 00 sand, then sand with 230 grit aluminun oxide paper. Magnesium is very porous and has a lot of oil in the pores of a used chainsaw so I wash all the parts a second time in near boiling water and detergent to get all the oil out. When dry I apply etching primer over all bare metal parts. For paint I have used automotive acrylic enamel, base clearcoat ,urethane and two part epoxy all are gas resistant and available from automotive paint suppliers mixed to match your color required. I spray with an HVLP Divilbis spray gun using a inline water trap and 40 lbs of line pressure,usually at least 2 coats of color. After they cure for a couple of days I reassemble the parts and usually wait for a week before putting fuel in the tank. All the ones I have done are still holding up well with 5-6 years of use on them since painting.
Pioneerguy600

Hey, quit generalizing...give the man some details.;) Just kidding. Great post!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Hey, quit generalizing...give the man some details.;) Just kidding. Great post!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Ok here is the most recent paint that I purchased to paint some of my Pioneer 600 series saws with. The brand name is Nason ,the particulars are for the paint is, Ful-Thane 2 K Urethane
Ful-Base 441-21 medium reducer
Ful-Thane 483-15 catalyst
The primer I will be using is for marine and industrial use and made by Sherwin Williams B67 H 5
630-4240

Hope this is technical enough for some of the more technically inclined members of AS , this paint and primer is really tough and resists gasoline and solvents if you let it set up for 5-7 days and stays on the metal really well even through running the saws in brush, limbing and topping trees it withstands scratching.
Pioneerguy600

Ok here is the most recent paint that I purchased to paint some of my Pioneer 600 series saws with. The brand name is Nason ,the particulars are for the paint is, Ful-Thane 2 K Urethane
Ful-Base 441-21 medium reducer
Ful-Thane 483-15 catalyst
The primer I will be using is for marine and industrial use and made by Sherwin Williams B67 H 5
630-4240

Hope this is technical enough for some of the more technically inclined members of AS , this paint and primer is really tough and resists gasoline and solvents if you let it set up for 5-7 days and stays on the metal really well even through running the saws in brush, limbing and topping trees it withstands scratching.
Pioneerguy600

Do you bake the paint on?

Back