Partner Chainsaw Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm, I just happen to have a new 590 here and was planning to swap it all over to one of my 5000+ saws, would it be a direct swap? The 590 was dropped before it had the first tank ran through it so I hoped it could be used on a 5000+ chassis.

Jerry it will be a simple bolt on of the complete 590 top end. There supposed to be very strong. Probably the best this side of a PP325/Partner 5500.

Something I have been thinking of but its been a long time since I had a Husky 350 piston in my hand but do you think there is enough meat around the pin boss of it to cut windows in it for the 5000 closed port? Just thinking out loud here. ...

Jerry it will be a simple bolt on of the complete 590 top end. There supposed to be very strong. Probably the best this side of a PP325/Partner 5500.

Something I have been thinking of but its been a long time since I had a Husky 350 piston in my hand but do you think there is enough meat around the pin boss of it to cut windows in it for the 5000 closed port? Just thinking out loud here. ...

That would be great, when I bought it that is what I had in mind for it, I also have another that is in fine shape but it needs a recoil side for it, in the right color, it has a 500 black one on it right now.
I would say there is plenty of support left there for a set of windows to be cut out from the sides.

Last edited:
590 swap

That would be great, when I bought it that is what I had in mind for it, I also have another that is in fine shape but it needs a recoil side for it, in the right color, it has a 500 black one on it right now.
I would say there is plenty of support left there for a set of windows to be cut out from the sides.

Hey all the 590 Cylinder is wider at the bottom!!! they do not bolt onto 500/5000/490 cases that I've found. I have a new NOS 5000+ and 590 P/C here and the 590 is WIDER and will not fit down in any 500/5000 case I have, maybe newer ones will?

Duane

Hey all the 590 Cylinder is wider at the bottom!!! they do not bolt onto 500/5000/490 cases that I've found. I have a new NOS 5000+ and 590 P/C here and the 590 is WIDER and will not fit down in any 500/5000 case I have, maybe newer ones will?

Duane

Hmmm, my IPLs show the same base gasket for the 490 and 590.....

590 swap

Is the bolt pattern the same? If so then the base can be shaved to fit between any obstacles like when I swap 046 cylinders on to 044 cases, 066 cylinders onto 064 cases etc.

Ok the bottom of the 590 cylinder that goes into the case is 1.963 wide, the 5000+ cylinders is 1.885. I was told about this from a Jonsered person when I bought the NOS 590 cylinder. I then confirmed this when I received it.
Bolt holes are the same, you have to grind the "CASE" to make it fit.

FYI: 590 and 325 cases are the same and take all cylinders. NOS 590 cases are available!!!

Duane

Ok the bottom of the 590 cylinder that goes into the case is 1.963 wide, the 5000+ cylinders is 1.885. I was told about this from a Jonsered person when I bought the NOS 590 cylinder. I then confirmed this when I received it.
Bolt holes are the same, you have to grind the "CASE" to make it fit.

FYI: 590 and 325 cases are the same and take all cylinders. NOS 590 cases are available!!!

Duane

If that is case then I will have no problems with opening up the ,"CASE", to make it fit as I do that kind of thing frequently with other saws when doing ,hop ups and swaps.

The Partner Pile

Finished a bunch of saws up this week, (or almost finished) thought I'd throw a few pictures out there for the world to see. These are all older model Partners I worked on this week. Mainly Fuel lines, ropes, carb kits, etc. Most were minor fixes.
The saws all sitting on the tool box are all 70cc either P70, 7000, or 7000+. (first one is wearing a S65 cover) Also the first two are my OWN fackensaws, with K700 cutoff saw parts mixed in, and a Farmer handle on one and Orange K650 handle on the other. All the 70cc saws are Ported and some with decomp cylinders, some T-Port, some PLUS cylinders. (all MAHLE)

View attachment 215306
And my Pioneer Partner 400 is complete and joins the work saw collection "THANKS to Tomdcoker!!!!"
View attachment 215307

Duane

wood cuttin

Did some wood cutting today with my P-55 and S-55, installed new rings and seals on the P-55 and a new carb on the S-55 both ran flawless the P-55 starts cold with two pulls. The P-55 seems alot smoother than the S-55. The P-55 is wearing a S-55 top cover. Haven't put the partners to any good wood cutting since the work. Here's some pix.

Member Jeff Lary just picked up these saws. I've been helping him with his 5000's through emails, but these are out of my knowledge on exactly what they are. He's looking for a positive id, thinking somebody may have changed covers/starters in the past. I got dibbs on the sign. :hmm3grin2orange:

219562d1327490323-img_0146-jpg

219563d1327490377-img_0148-jpg

219564d1327490395-img_0147-jpg

219565d1327490405-img_0149-jpg

Partners

Ok the Farmer saw is a Farmer F55a or F65a easy to is by the Metal squared top handle, Non AV saw is a R16 (best of the bunch), The r517 badged saw is most likely that but with wrong top cover. (most powerful of the bunch) but cylinder doesnt look correct for it. The cylinder looks like a 65cc newer S65 unit do to single mount coil bracket. R517T would have dual mount bracket.

(plastic bolt on rear handle, chain guard is a R series deal, prior to S/F/P series)

Hope this helps, I can id more if need be.

VERY NICE!!!!!! the small cooling fin saws are the best!!!!!

Duane

Last edited:
Ok the Farmer saw is a Farmer F55a or F65a easy to is by the Metal squared top handle, Non AV saw is a R16 (best of the bunch), The r517 badged saw is most likely that but with wrong top cover. (most powerful of the bunch) but cylinder doesnt look correct for it. The cylinder looks like a 65cc newer S65 unit do to single mount coil bracket. R517T would have dual mount bracket.

(plastic bolt on rear handle, chain guard is a R series deal, prior to S/F/P series)

Hope this helps, I can id more if need be.

VERY NICE!!!!!! the small cooling fin saws are the best!!!!!

Duane

Thanks Duane
Ok so the Farmer is a F55A and runs very well I took the carb off and cleaned it ,boy what a hassel i got into there.I took the throttle handel apart so I could leave the linkage attached to the carb.Big mistake trying to get the trigger the throttle lock and the spring and the likkage all together at the same no fun.Finally i took the linkage off the carb and attached it to the handel assembly and put it together taht way then re-connected the linkage to the carb last soooooo much eaiser.
So are you saying in the pirst picture the saw between the Orange one and the r17 is the best of the bunch? There is a number stamped into the top cover by someone I would guess it must be the orig ser no ? it is IC3L768X532.How can you say the cylinder may not be right there is a cover on the saw you can not see the cylinder,I take no offence just courious i guess.And what about the one that is apart in the photo.Thanks Duane for any help you can give P.S. When you say small finn which of mine is "small fin,or narrow "if that is what you said?

Last edited:
Jeff I have a feeling that the Farmer is a 65cc saw based on it haveing anti vibe handles. Dont hold me to it but I thought the F55 only had the ridgid handles.

Further more I'll give you $1 more then whatever Ed offers you for the sign. :ices_rofl:

Jeff I have a feeling that the Farmer is a 65cc saw based on it haveing anti vibe handles. Dont hold me to it but I thought the F55 only had the ridgid handles.

Further more I'll give you $1 more then whatever Ed offers you for the sign. :ices_rofl:

And I'll bid 2.50 more than either one of them and give you double shipping!!!!!!!!!

Mike

And I'll bid 2.50 more than either one of them and give you double shipping!!!!!!!!!

Mike

And I'll throw in a case of beer (your choice)

Mike

And I'll throw in a case of beer (your choice)

I'll do all of the above and add in a dead mouse! :D

Partner saws

Ok so heres the break down:

Farmer model: f55a or F65a (a) meaning antivibe they had non Av models to in both 55cc and 65cc too. ( I have both)

R16 models were NON av models with METAL rear handles and throttle lock in center top

Your other saw: could be most any R series saw BUT!!!! giveaways are: fuel tank with no vent next to fuel line (old r series), bolt on rear handle chain guard ( only on THREE digit R series, r417,r420,r421 etc.) yellow case but no bottom oil adjuster (again three digit R series) Saw should be metal top cover saw like the NON av model!! But could be all wrong too!
Now: cylinder looks wrong by my above mentioned info!!!!

Small cooling fins are like the ones on the old NON av model!!!! divided (bridged ports) the close fins caused debris blockage so I was told, so were widened early on!!!!

You have a great bunch of saws!!!!!!!!!!!! And THERE is NO SUCH THING AS POSITIVE ID ON PARTNERS!!!!!!!!!!! I have learned this from experience. Close is the best you can do!!!!

Duane

Latest posts

Back