partner R**

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is why I like the metal tags riveted to the crankcase with the serial number and model numbers stamped on them.

True-but I have Huskies with illegible tags due to scatches and a Solo that is about to lose its tag-ain't nothin perfect.

I have about 15 Huskys here with no plate left.
The older Huskys up to the year 1973, had their number and "Husqvarna Vapenfabrik" nothing else.

All my older Partner saws have the serial number stamped in the bar mount, at the front side of the saw.
You can take the start cover from a R117, and put it on a 16, no problems.
the same with most parts and covers, it is not easy to be sure.
I am sure there is a way to ID these Partner saws, but I have not figured out a good way yet. Keep thinking on it, someone might crack it one of th ease days. I have contacted the only one i know at the Partner side of Elux., will see what he has to say. I have a 117 that i taken for parts, and this saw I have looked WERY close at.

The R30, R35 is 85ccm. (1971, 1972. Year introduced)
The R40 is 100ccm. (1972)
The R417 is 55ccm. (1974)

Dwayne Ferguson.
I would think the ignition system, cubics and handels could say what model, if you can look.
Take the muffler off and see how big bore there is. Go from there.
If you are lucky it is 85 or 100ccm. Then it will be easy.

i think you have the r16..no chain break..if not that particular saw..a saw of that series.. least thats what im seeing

You do not have to take off the cylinder. Off with the muffler, and carefully stick in the rule there. This is a good thing, byt be careful not to put anything in that is not seposed to be there.

Dwayne, have you weighted the saw, or measured it's bore?

Anyway, I think this tread came to a premature end and want to add my contribution.

After studying the info that I have, I think Mange is on the right track.

My observations:

The saw in question cannot be a P model for obvious reasons.

It cannot be a 55 or 65 cc saw, as they dont have all the vent holes in the top cover. If you weighted the saw you could easily verify that it is one of the bigger models, as the weight difference is about 2 kg (4 1/2 lbs) between the 55/65 and the 85/100 cc saws.

Chain break were at best optional through the period in question, and the lack of it is not a decisive point, but anyway an indication of it's age.

It is probably not an R 30, as they had a different top cover.

This leaves us with the following models:
100 cc: R 40, R40T, R440, R440T.
85 cc: R 30B, R 35, R 435 (T ??)

You stated that the first of the missing numbers probably is a "4", which eliminates two of the candidates listed above.

My "gut feeling" tells me that the most likely candidate is the R 40. This is based on the assumtion that the oldest models were most likely to be sold without chain brake - and the small size of the missing part of the R** label.

Last edited:
Wow, picture sbring back some fond memories when I was rep'ing Partner.

Saw is an "R" model. Note: Holes in back of cylinder cover, Exposed unprotected spark plug, No chain brake (hole not in clutch cover), Cylinder right side cover had cut outs, Rear handle where fastend to crankcase is flat, Chromed cylinder w/ standard full skirt piston, and something was different with starter side, but w/o pics memory has faded. Aslo it had points-condensor ignition.

"P" series: Eliminated holes for better air flow/dust control, Protected spark plug, Chain brake (black flag style guard) was standard, Cylinder cover had no slots-cut outs (quieter), Rear handle (curved) now contained the electronic ignition module underneath, New NikaSil cylinder with Power Flow piston, New "T" Port cylinder built in exhaust port acted like a compression release w/o mechanical valve, and I think different starter cover holes, with a "sealed"-cassette style starter recoil spring. New two piece electronic (transistor) ignition.

A superbly improved saw in power, quieter, lower vibratioins, and easier to service.

Mac's PM1000 was the Partner P100, not the P100 Super.

P 100 Super

..........Partner P 100 Super was sold in yellow and red colour (Jonsered 1020).
This happened some years later than the P 100/PM 1000 thing.

My guess would be a model R-40 which is 100cc. They had that hand guard. The R-40T had a thyristor electronic ignition the R-40 was breaker points. The serial number does not tell you anything as to the model. With those saws it is detective work by looking at the improvements that were introduced as they went from model to model in the same saw chassis. The R-40 ended it's life as the P-100 Super.

Mike Acres,

Some cereberal cob webs clearing. Only some.
R 85/100 cc shared all parts but the cyl/piston just like the P series.
Pics show a button hole plug in the cover.
R 85 or 100 cc she is, but didn't all the 40's have Decompression Valves????????

Some info you might enjoy.
Thryistor was Partners name for a new type of tranistor ignition system that was one of......if not the first industry spilit (two piece) ignition systems back in 'those days'.

Major drawbacks of electronic systems in 'those early days' were they were not: debugged very well, dealers had very little solid state experience, coil & electronic parts were built into one piece....so if a electronic part failed the whole thing had to be replaced. Really pissed of alot of people.

Many coils were fastened to the left side of the cylinder so the cylinder heat and coil heat both helped kill many one piece electronic ignitions.
Users & dealers often killed ignitions themselves....unknowingly by not properly grounding the "sparkle "plug. Since it's alot easier & faster to pull the starter rope, after "X" amount of pulls, enough field voltage was produced that capacitors-diodes would leak (blow) thus weakening & eventually ruining the ignition.

Transistor (Thryistor) had less tendency to blow but was more expensive, and the two piece by Partner was a major selling advantage....in 'those days'.

I do not mean to argue youre statment, but there is some facts here from Partner.
Saw Man said:
Mike Acres,

Some cereberal cob webs clearing. Only some.
R 85/100 cc shared all parts but the cyl/piston just like the P series.
Pics show a button hole plug in the cover.
R 85 or 100 cc she is, but didn't all the 40's have Decompression Valves????????
No. Just the last models. The Partner famely's were often many models, from bacicly the same saws.This you know.
Saw Man said:
Some info you might enjoy.
Thryistor was Partners name for a new type of tranistor ignition system that was one of......if not the first industry spilit (two piece) ignition systems back in 'those days'.
Jonsered was first here at least, with two piese ingnition.
Saw Man said:
Major drawbacks of electronic systems in 'those early days' were they were not: debugged very well, dealers had very little solid state experience, coil & electronic parts were built into one piece....so if a electronic part failed the whole thing had to be replaced. Really pissed of alot of people.
Here it was a welcome change. It meant less problems, and the cost was really not more since the sytems needed less effort, and service.
Saw Man said:
Many coils were fastened to the left side of the cylinder so the cylinder heat and coil heat both helped kill many one piece electronic ignitions.
Users & dealers often killed ignitions themselves....unknowingly by not properly grounding the "sparkle "plug. Since it's alot easier & faster to pull the starter rope, after "X" amount of pulls, enough field voltage was produced that capacitors-diodes would leak (blow) thus weakening & eventually ruining the ignition.
The position itself cooked a lot of coils. that is why it was moved. Jonny red had the same problem with the coils that was in the top cover.
Saw Man said:
Transistor (Thryistor) had less tendency to blow but was more expensive, and the two piece by Partner was a major selling advantage....in 'those days'.
Thease are two diferent systems.

I can see this is going on for a long time.
Partner introduced electronic ignition in the R-14T in 1966
Which model of Jonsered do you figure had the first Electronic ignition or are we only talking about two piece systems?
I have the Jonsered 70 as the first electronic model in their line.

Mike Acres said:
I can see this is going on for a long time.
Partner introduced electronic ignition in the R-14T in 1966
Which model of Jonsered do you figure had the first Electronic ignition or are we only talking about two piece systems?
I have the Jonsered 70 as the first electronic model in their line.

I thought it was different questions, but i could be wrong that is nothing unusual, that is part of learning.
I thought all the early Jonny Reds had two piece systems, even XF. At least the ones I have.
I always thought there was a difference between Transistor and thyristor, but then it is a few years since i went to school. Partner used both kinds, but not in the same models.
True you could bye and put in a different system in the saw after they were used a while, but there was normally just one system / saw.

I show the XF as being a breaker point igntion system. I wonder if they did not export ones with electronic ignition or were they retro-fitted by dealers.

Back