Paulownia Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope. You can be assured that if they are considered invasive, growing them from seeds isn't too tough.

They don't survive harsh winters, so if you are in zone 5 or smaller, you aren't going to get a long lasting tree. They suffer too much winter kill, then sprout off the elements that survived. Usually the roots.

I've got a spectacular version about a two miles from my shop. How it survives the winters, I don't know, but his is pretty much undamaged. Perhaps he has a more winter tolerant variety. It throws brilliant purple flowers in late spring to early summer. Not all years, though, as the flower buds probably get frost nipped.

Does anyone have any experience with growing these from seed? I know some consider them an invasive species - they were introduced around 1844. The seed capsules can also be messy.
Whatever you do -DO NOT PLANT A Paulownia tree in your yard!!!

I planted two about 15-20 years ago, because they are a beautiful tree, have huge leaves, and aromatic clusters of purple flowers.
They also can produce huge clusters of sticky seed pods.
I had one cut down two years ago and the stump ground out.
Now there are hundreds of sprouts shooting up all around where the stump was to about a 75' diameter - they are even coming up on the far side of the house... from roots that must have worked their way under the house!

Don't Do It!! :dizzy:
Someone here tried to warn me about them (after they were full grown), but I didn't listen.

Latest posts

Back