Paw paws; the new weed?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junkrunner

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I don't what has happened in the last three years, but these things are popping up everywhere. What I don't understand is; they haven't produced a bunch of fruit/seeds to make all these sprouts. I understand they'll sprout off other roots, but where they are popping-up there isn't any other paw paws close.

One other thing I've noticed about them. is they seem to be choking out the dreaded Alianthus.:clap:

I notice 2 reasons they don't fruit:
1) too much shade
2) the patch is all genetically identical (root suckers), and they won't self pollinate - so you need another individual.

Has there been any disturbance in the woods recently? This could have let enough light in. OR...it seems I actually start to see more pawpaw 20+ years after a harvest when everything is recovering well...so it may just be the stage or development

Cultivate 'em!!!:rock:

PawPaw fruit is awesome!!!

When the bloom is on, toss a few dead woodchucks(stinky road kill) amoungst them.
Pollenation is mostly done by carrion flys.

As for killing them, a cut and paint with Tordon, Crossbow, or 2,4D will do.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Has there been any disturbance in the woods recently? This could have let enough light in. OR...it seems I actually start to see more pawpaw 20+ years after a harvest when everything is recovering well...so it may just be the stage or development
No, not in about 15 years.

I see your point thou.:cheers:

Cultivate 'em!!!:rock:

PawPaw fruit is awesome!!!

When the bloom is on, toss a few dead woodchucks(stinky road kill) amoungst them.
Pollenation is mostly done by carrion flys.

As for killing them, a cut and paint with Tordon, Crossbow, or 2,4D will do.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I agree, paw paws are good. Thanks for the dead critter info. I was wondering how or what did the pollenating. Thanks

I do not want to kill any of'em. I call'em a WV palm tree.:)

Latest posts

Back