Pecan log

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys in the forum are not sawing for grade, or at least not for the lumber market. It is a hobby, often using junk logs. This means that rot, stain, cracks, are all seen in a different light.

As an example I have a friend that built a table out of some really low grade walnut. That wood was in awful shape, bug eaten in parts, stained, cracked, bark inclusions, you name it and it was there. He went to a lot of work, but the table turned out beautiful. It was one of a kind. The end of the story is that he sold it for $19,000.00 to a corporation for use in a small conference room. Sometimes you get paid to get creative with the trash.

Mr. HE:cool:

Sorry, didn't mean to offend ya.

Just read your response as "We're all a lot of fools for cutting up 'junk wood'!"...just way it comes across.

As for the 'stain', isn't it actually considered as a 'water conducting fungi'? ie....brown rot?

I for one, make large sums of cha-ching from 'junk wood', in fact per board foot I generally get 6 sometimes as much as 25 times more per board foot....for junk over the same material in a 'good' state. Those pecan slabs above, in my market are worth pretty close to $135 bF!!!

Scott B

Latest posts

Back