People don't yet take battery operated chainsaws seriously.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to work with big trees for a living. The biggest I ever dealt with measured 16 1/2' by 17 1/2' across the stump. An electric saw probably wouldn't have been a good choice- especially since we're talking 1975. The proper tool then was a Mac Super Pro 125 with a 101B cart engine in it.

These days I'm long since retired, and living in Southern Utah. Most of what I cut is Aspen- usually 12" or smaller, which I deck in 8' lengths in a 20'x20' shed. For me, there's no argument- my 56V EGO does everything I ask of it... and when the weather is cold and windy (like it is right now), I can close the doors and buck firewood 'til my heart's content. My trusty Husky 61 is mothballed until the spring thaw.

Funny this topic popped up! I just harassed a college friend about the little yellow "dewalt" chainsaw in a picture where he had cleaned up a fencerow (2 small trees). I think battery saws have a place for small jobs and climbing, some limbing, etc. Small jobs. I am a fan of small saws. I have felled 36-38" red oaks with a SuperEZ (only because I didn't have a large saw there) I love my Stihl 015. (it has felled a 30" live oak) But to be honest, I already do light work with a dewalt battery recip saw and an aggressive pruning blade. My big saws are just sitting for emergency events or a situation where a small saw won't work. For me, the battery saws are still too expensive to buy and maintain, but some, like my friend, Randy, are willing to spend the bux!

Where I spend my time now, there are not a lot of large diameter trees, so the 015 or the Super2 work well enough.

@HarleyT quote above suggests that once the tech is in line the govt needs to start outlawing gas? Yeah not unless you live in Canada.
I am a big believer in letting the market decide, and government stay out of things either way.
I think a huge part of the government interference involves a lot of friends and relatives of politicians getting very rich. Right now, doing away with fossil fuels is nothing more than a child's dream, and crushing our economy to achieve a child's dream is insane. So, if and when the technology gets there, and it is economically feasible, then great. But trying to rush it by destroying ourselves is madness.

Today's further analysis shows that my claims of lower weight may often be unfounded. Likely because I use bigger gas saws for bigger work. Battery saws for smaller work. The battery saws almost feel weightless but I'm generally bucking with batteries and falling with gas. Plus I suspect the noise bugs my senses a bit. I buy toys and shop for quieter mufflers, unlike some guys.
My biggest argument is where will all these battery saws be in 10, 20, 30yrs? How about standardized batteries, like in cars or Ryobi?

I love my 20v DeWalt saws for small things when I need to be more stealth like. But I do love my collection of classics as well. I think there is room and a time and place for all varieties.

My biggest argument is where will all these battery saws be in 10, 20, 30yrs? How about standardized batteries, like in cars or Ryobi?
Standardized batteries limit innovation, at least as much as the regulations suggested. Bicycle parts were somewhat ‘standard’ and interchangeable back in the 1970’s, now I can’t even figure out chains. But they have done some impressive things with bicycle designs and engineering.

Some guys still actively run saws that are 30+ years old. Some run them occasionally. Some collect them. But I have also heard of sawyers who would ‘use up’ a new STIHL or Husqvarna saw in less than a year. And some guys like the speed or weight of newer saws.

If a saw/battery platform is popular enough, there will be aftermarket batteries available, just as there still are for Makita 7.2V ‘stick’ batteries.

But some saws will get retired, just like cordless drills and contractor tools.

The chain is the most important part of the chainsaw, so whatever pulls it is interesting to me.

Philbert

Batteries in cars are only "standardized" as far as gas vehicles go, dedicated electric vehicles run a range of voltages & capacities.
I would suspect in 10+ years time most the battery saws will be in the same place as most the modern (m-tronic/Auto-tune) saws & modern cars.
The way car manufacturing has been going I would say in 10 years time there will be more 25 year old vehicles on the road than there are 15 year old vehicles left.
Things these days are designed to be replaced...

I have my stable of gas saws, and this year they've been mostly quiet. I cut all our firewood from the woods, and wood stoves are all the heat source we have.

However, due to an ongoing drought and severe fire danger in our county for months at a time, outdoor fires and other things such as operating gas chainsaws have been banned. This year, for rhe first time, these bans have lasted for most of the year. I have been able to cut all the wood we need [several cords] during the relatively brief spells when the bans were lifted. The bans are back in place this month, the Boulder fires still burning and another one last month a half mile from our home. So I have begun to pay a bit of attention to the battery saw thing, as I can see a problem getting in our wood before too long. I don't know much about the saws, and I doubt there is a solution, yet, for cutting up a 30" spruce, but something has to give.

I have my stable of gas saws, and this year they've been mostly quiet. I cut all our firewood from the woods, and wood stoves are all the heat source we have.

However, due to an ongoing drought and severe fire danger in our county for months at a time, outdoor fires and other things such as operating gas chainsaws have been banned. This year, for rhe first time, these bans have lasted for most of the year. I have been able to cut all the wood we need [several cords] during the relatively brief spells when the bans were lifted. The bans are back in place this month, the Boulder fires still burning and another one last month a half mile from our home. So I have begun to pay a bit of attention to the battery saw thing, as I can see a problem getting in our wood before too long. I don't know much about the saws, and I doubt there is a solution, yet, for cutting up a 30" spruce, but something has to give.

Wow! Where I am at, the most restrictions I have seen is half day restrictions. If I remember correctly it was no cutting after 2pm or such. That was fine for me as I hate cutting in any kind of heat. Like you I heat 100% with the wood stove, so any 24/7 several months long ban would be a problem. As much as I hate cutting in heat, cutting in snow is about equal.

Wow! Where I am at, the most restrictions I have seen is half day restrictions. If I remember correctly it was no cutting after 2pm or such. That was fine for me as I hate cutting in any kind of heat. Like you I heat 100% with the wood stove, so any 24/7 several months long ban would be a problem. As much as I hate cutting in heat, cutting in snow is about equal.
Yes, I have tried to avoid snow. Fallen limbs and stones slippery beneath the surface. However, now I am beginning to budge a little. I choose trees to fell that have less snow around the base and still give me an escape path as they fall. I also have steep terrain here, and cutting in snow/ice is a bear. Electric saw won't change that risk, of course, but I still need to keep an eye on the technology.

If you could make a battery saw that cut Faster than a pro saw and the battery would last at least 4 hours then I think you would have something. I think going to cut firewood without all the noise would be more relaxing than it already is. But they should put a speaker on them with a switch if you want the classic sound lol

In the grand scheme of things,
aren't we all "just trolling"???
I would say no. trolling would be starting a thread where poster 1 basically wants to trick folks into responding, who knows they might even have multiple identities playing along. There are folks that might essentially be trolls for youtube in other parts of this site.

As to the premise in the title,

Stihl is rumored to be bringing a 60cc equivalent battery saw to market soon, I can't recall where I heard that. And Husqvarna has even larger than that in development, that I watched on a video by the on the forest road guy who has his videos featured in the Stihl hexa file threads on the internet lately. He was interviewing a regional Husky rep in that video.

I tried out the Husqvarna 540 top handles both gas and electric at the Paul Bunyan show and they are really quite close in the 10 inch or so diameter tulip poplar they had there. That is with the chains on them the electric one the mini .325 I would assume and whatever the gasoline one comes with. Easier to stall out the battery one.

It isn't cheaper. Many variables but a lithium tool battery is generally gone after 5-10 years or so. And these are expensive!
Yesterday I kept either tossing chains or pinching bars. With five saws "available", I had to break out the gas saw to get out the pinched saw. Small saws toss chains so easily.

Another thing I like about battery saws? Good excuse to call it a day after the batteries are dead. The thing I like the most is the reliability. I have seen a lot of gas saws quit running while I was in the middle of a tree cut. Maybe they start 20 minutes later. Maybe they don't.

I’m either tilling(garden) or trolling(fishing). Lol

There’s a tree cutting company on u tube where three cutters are using Husqvarna electric saws and doing one hell of a job I’m impressed with electric saws.

I think that four stroke saws are out dated before they gain popularity. I think electric saws will bypass them for sure. The two strokes will still rule.

Latest posts

Back