Philbert's Chain Salvage Challenge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just collect all the various "safety" chains I come across and ship them to an address in St. Paul, MN. Must have a deep hole because I keep sending chain and it never seems to get filled up. I have another box worth gathered up again, just need to be home long enough to move them out.

Mark

Send them to Philbert's No-Kill Chain Shelter and Home for Unloved Saw Chains, *where we accept all types of chains, regardless of their condition, brand, or low kickback orientation/status. We harbor chains, without any questions, even when they arrive without documentation. Each chain is gently bathed, sorted, and eventually re-homed with a loving sawyer for the rest of their useful lives.

Philbert

Deburring Wheel

In some earlier posts (e.g. #159 in this thread) I mentioned using a 'ScotchBrite' brand deburring wheel on chains to reshape drive links after filing, and to remove burrs on drive links. I have recently started using a different type, with better results for this application, and posted that information in this thread:

http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...ve-link-deburring-wheels.284866/#post-5507764

Philbert

Blending Wheels 1.jpg

Your Basic Cinderella Makeover . . .
(Bump)

Nothing exciting, just been slow around the Chain Salvage Challenge.

Saw this chain on the top of a neighbor's junk pile left out for the scrappers. Said he found it in his garage when he moved in, but had no idea what saw it was for.

Basic cleaning, and it is a STIHL, .325, .063, 62 DL semi-chisel, low-kickback chain used on MS250's, etc. Sharpened maybe twice, ready for a third time. Retails for about $23 around here.

Philbert
You forgot-

Winner: Philbert.

-HF

What I really want to save is the Tsumura 18" x 3/8" x .050" bar.

Four years in a damp basement.
emoji21.png
Oh wow. Looks like it was out in a field for years.

Does it have the replaceable tip? You can provably clean the rest of it up.

I heard on the site a long time ago the magic combo is 50% acetone 50% automatic transmission fluid.

Brian

Challenge Chain # 22

Nothing special - but a good excuse for a thread bump.

Another chain rescued from the trash. A clean STIHL narrow kerf, Picco chain that had a bad day. Hit a rock, or something, hard. No (practical) option, other than grinding it back past the damaged area. Should still have some cutting life, and even another sharpening, left in it, after reconditioning. These chains are often used on pole saws, so if I have to shorten the loop, I can even choose to spin out the worst links.

photo 1.jpg photo 3.jpg

WINNER? Philbert! A clean, usable chain after grinding it back.

LESSONS? 'Rock, Paper, Cutters' is not a good game to play with chains.

Philbert

"A" rock? I'd say they hit several rocks or possibly did some trenching lol.

Nice save nonetheless.

Also can you rescue very rusty chains ie hanging on an outside garage wall?

Latest posts

Back