Pic of my splitting Sunday...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DeanBrown3D

DeanBrown3D

ArboristSite Operative
Here's a pic of what I did on Sunday. All the wood is split very large for use in a furnace, not a fireplace. Its somewhere between 2 and 4 cords, mostly oak:)

attachment.php

Dean

Frantic7

Frantic7

ArboristSite Lurker
Wow!! Nice job, looks good. I myself am getting ready to split up 2 100ft Fir trees already cut into rounds. I am doing it all with my mauls and my son. Fir splits really easy, good straight grained wood kinda like Red Alder. After the Fir I have about 2 cords of Cherry to do....fun fun!!:bang: :bang: :bang: Nice splitter though, I need to get me one of them there splitters:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: Hee hee!!:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

DeanBrown3D

DeanBrown3D

ArboristSite Operative
Yep, some wood is faster with a maul, for example the poplar (far left). But that twisted maple there in the foreground on the left - the splitter heaves its way through all the way, and then says 'phew'. The oak splits relatively easily though. That's a mix of white and red oaks there on the right.

DeanBrown3D

DeanBrown3D

ArboristSite Operative
Only issues I have with it are that it weighs 1500 lb so I get worn out moving it before I even start splitting!

Just kidding, no real issues. The lever handle is always nearly poking me in the eye when I bend down to pick up split wood, maybe I'll paint it orange or something. I also wish it had a 4-way wedge sometimes.

Latest posts