Picked it up today ms441 cm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

confused8122

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I finally saved enough to buy one. Been trying to save since last fall, but other things kept being more important.
Last week I stopped in at 2 of my nearby dealers, talked and got firm prices. Ordered Monday, and picked up today.
I got the wrap version, with a 25 inch bar.
Cut some cookies from a 18" log in the yard, not much but enough to know it works. I'll get to the woods on Sunday to put it to work.
So, I've heard something about heat cycles and about just using it. Any thing special to do or avoid for a good break in? Other than avoiding no load wot.

Pics or it didn't happen,

One on my work bench,
sahu8y3a.jpg

I'll try and get more tomorrow.

Excellent saw! You will love it for a long time, lots of power! Very relaible too :rock:

It's nice to see someone else has to spend time earning their tools. Well done and way to stay the course.. Enjoy it and I'm giving you new saw rep even without the photo on this one for the effort you had to go through to earn it. Patience is hard to have when you want a new saw, tractor, splitter etc.

KUDOS to you!

I finally saved enough to buy one. Been trying to save since last fall, but other things kept being more important.
Last week I stopped in at 2 of my nearby dealers, talked and got firm prices. Ordered Monday, and picked up today.
I got the wrap version, with a 25 inch bar.
Cut some cookies from a 18" log in the yard, not much but enough to know it works. I'll get to the woods on Sunday to put it to work.
So, I've heard something about heat cycles and about just using it. Any thing special to do or avoid for a good break in? Other than avoiding no load wot.

Nice buy!

You'll love that saw, it gets better with each tank put through it and is virtually maintenance free. All you gotta do is keep the chain sharp. I've got 3, and I clean the filters ever couple months or so, they're all used daily. The filtration really is that good. There's nothing you need to do to break it in, just use it like you normally would use any saw - put it to work. You might want to remove the screen and drill a couple holes in the muff, there are some good photos from stihlman441 on doing so. It's well worth doing. The muffler gets crazy hot without this mod. If you do the screen/drill thing, then also make sure you reset the computer thingy. There's info on that around also. It's pretty straight forward, consists of removing the bar and starting it then letting it run for sixty seconds or something.

I've got a 20", and 25" and a 28" ES lite on the ones I've got. The 20" is amazing, the 28" is very useful and practical and balances the same as the 20". The 25" is my least favorite and least used. If you really need that much bar I'd get the 28" ES lite which is such a pleasure to use. It weighs less than the 25" and handles nicer too. Otherwise pop a 20" bar on that saw and you'll be very happy.

Shaun

Nice buy!

I've got a 20", and 25" and a 28" ES lite on the ones I've got. The 20" is amazing, the 28" is very useful and practical and balances the same as the 20". The 25" is my least favorite and least used. If you really need that much bar I'd get the 28" ES lite which is such a pleasure to use. It weighs less than the 25" and handles nicer too. Otherwise pop a 20" bar on that saw and you'll be very happy.

Shaun

Thanks for the opinions. The 25" bar will probably be the biggest I will need. I have a spare 18" and chains I can put on it. Would like to get a 20" as that would be the most useful for the wood I cut. It was a few dollars cheaper to get the saw new with the bigger bar, and buy the 20" later. The price difference between the 2 bars was bigger than the price of saw difference. Plus the few dollars saved on free bigger chains, included with saw.

I read on here about alot of dealers not knowing much about mtronic saws.
When I picked my saw up, the sales guy was talking with me. Explaining how to start it. He said just like all the other stihls, full choke, pull till fires, then half choke and start. I wasn’t gonna argue with him. And I was in a hurry so I didn't want to prove that he was wrong. Not complaining about the dealer, just noticing. He is an orange tractor dealer, and I thi think saws are a sideline. But, he was much more helpful and friendly than the elite dealer that I can see from my house.

And the contol lever is different. I have read about them feeling cheap and plasticy. There was a thread about one that didn't work right. Since I had never handled a mtronic saw before, first thing i tried on mine was control lever. I was disappointed, moving from off to on felt normal, but moving to start position, it felt like weak plastic, like it was twisting.
After playing with it for awhile, it's just very different from the old 4 position switch. On the old ones, you had to have full throttle to move to full choke. On this new 3 position switch, you just pull throttle slightly. Any more and different controls start fighting against each other, thus the twisting cheap feeling. Gonna be hard to learn new habits, but by only squeezing throttle slightly, the control works, and feels like it should.

One of those just showed up on CL here locally. Full wrap and a 32" bar!
Looks brand new, he claims 10 hrs use.
Wants $750.

6ebehumy.jpg

I haven't been looking for one, so don't know if the price is reasonable.

Wants $750.

6ebehumy.jpg

Sounds like a good price to me. No tax!

Wants $750.

6ebehumy.jpg

I paid more than that for mine,
With the reflection on that picture, it's hard to tell, is it a mtronic version, or the discontinued regular version? I can pretend to see carb adjusting holes in the black panel if I try.
If it's not mtronic, I'd reconsider.

Thanks for the opinions. The 25" bar will probably be the biggest I will need. I have a spare 18" and chains I can put on it. Would like to get a 20" as that would be the most useful for the wood I cut. It was a few dollars cheaper to get the saw new with the bigger bar, and buy the 20" later.

A 20" bar works well on my ms440; excellent balance and I wouldn't want to go shorter because there wouldn't be enough chain length to properly load the motor at WOT. Of course, the ms441 C-M makes even more power. Great saw choice, BTW!!!

He says it does have screws, so it must be the regular carb.

And for the photographic proof...

9e6u3enu.jpg

I paid more than that for mine,
With the reflection on that picture, it's hard to tell, is it a mtronic version, or the discontinued regular version? I can pretend to see carb adjusting holes in the black panel if I try.
If it's not mtronic, I'd reconsider.

Last edited:
Ok, i got a chance to run the saw a little bit. I am impressed, and know it will only get better. I had a small glitch that I wasn't expecting, and hopefully you mtronic guys can tell me weather it was normal or something to be wary of.
It stalled twice, both times restarted on first pull and seemed ok, just didn't expect from this saw. First time was after cutting a few rounds, I set it down and let it idle, after about a minute, it just stopped. Second time i started it, went to cut a round, and just as i was about to squeeze trigger, it died. Is this just happening during learning / break in, or do I need to keep an eye out for running problems? It didn't get used much this weekend, maybe 1 tank, and be able to cut again till the weekend.

Latest posts

Back