Picks of my dodge loaded and shed done

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modn

ArboristSite Operative
I agree it looks really good, just a couple thoughts.

How did you fasten the roof system down to the beams? That roof is like a large sail and under the right (or better said wrong) wind conditions it will have a lot of up lift due to the surface area versus its self weight.

As an added precaution I would use something like these straps...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Truss-hold-down.jpg

...to hold that nice roof in place. Or even clip angles on either side of the truss bolted down to beam and through bolted through the top chord of the truss.

The tee plates look like they should do a fine job holding the beams to the columns, but some cross braces from part way up the column up to the underside of the beam at 45deg would help a lot with lateral stability as well.

The columns should be tied down to the concrete/footing as well.

I would hate to see all your hard work get twisted or wrecked.:)

Or you could tell me to mind my own business.:buttkick:

Just go to your local lumberyard and ask for USP connectors RT-15 or if they have Simpson strong ties, they can cross reference. It will only set you back about .89/hanger. Only requires 2 per truss (1 each side). That would prevent it from kiting. Nice job!!

ps: About 3 of my metal vendors still sell the roofing you have. Most use it for ceiling liner around here.

STLfirewood

STLfirewood

Addicted to ArboristSite
I agree it looks really good, just a couple thoughts.

How did you fasten the roof system down to the beams? That roof is like a large sail and under the right (or better said wrong) wind conditions it will have a lot of up lift due to the surface area versus its self weight.

As an added precaution I would use something like these straps...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Truss-hold-down.jpg

...to hold that nice roof in place. Or even clip angles on either side of the truss bolted down to beam and through bolted through the top chord of the truss.

The tee plates look like they should do a fine job holding the beams to the columns, but some cross braces from part way up the column up to the underside of the beam at 45deg would help a lot with lateral stability as well.

The columns should be tied down to the concrete/footing as well.

I would hate to see all your hard work get twisted or wrecked.:)

Or you could tell me to mind my own business.:buttkick:

All good points.

If you look at the pics have the truss clips (hurricane clips) on the trusses. The only trussed that don't have them are the ones on top the steel plates. There is a board nailed on top of the beam and the truss is nailed to that.

The columns are tied to the piers with jbolts that we set in the concrete when it was wet. There is 4" angle bolted to the j-bolts and that is lagged to the column.

The cross bracing is the last thing I have to do. You couldn't see it but there was a pile a 2x8s there waiting for me to install. After that I am going to paint the beams when it warms a little.

Thanks for your input. I would rather be safe then sorry

Signoflife

Signoflife

ArboristSite Operative
All good points.

If you look at the pics have the truss clips (hurricane clips) on the trusses. The only trussed that don't have them are the ones on top the steel plates. There is a board nailed on top of the beam and the truss is nailed to that.

The columns are tied to the piers with jbolts that we set in the concrete when it was wet. There is 4" angle bolted to the j-bolts and that is lagged to the column.

The cross bracing is the last thing I have to do. You couldn't see it but there was a pile a 2x8s there waiting for me to install. After that I am going to paint the beams when it warms a little.

Good job, sounds like you got it under control.

I saw the clips but couldn't tell if they were of a substantial material or were the flimsy sheet metal kind, nor how they were fastened.

modn

ArboristSite Operative
All good points.

Yup, I'm an idiot!! I see you have the RT15 hurricane clips NOW, didn't before. :dizzy:

STLfirewood

STLfirewood

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yes I do. That works the best. Dump the trailer then unhook and dump the truck. Once you get a dumop trailer you'll wonder how you ever got by without it(kind of like a skidsteer). Only right now my dump is broke on the truck. It needs a new power unit. So everything on the truck gets thrown off by hand. Man it sucks because I know there is a hoist under there just wanting to be used. How do you like the Processor you have? There is one for sale local and I'm really thinking about buying it. How much will it produce in the real world?

Scott

iCreek

iCreek

ArboristSite Guru
Scott, wow, thanks for the update..... I bet your St. Louis customers are glad to see you when you arive with their loads of wood. Let me say this, that is some Great looking wood !!!!

Keep up the hard work.... Do you even miss your old job ?? !!!!

STLfirewood

STLfirewood

Addicted to ArboristSite
Kind of. Let's just say I was very fortunate to get the severance package that I did. I really feel bad for people that loose their job and walk with nothing. My package is going to allow me t try and do things I could have otherwise never afforded to do. I do miss the security of the job but I don't miss the work. My plan this year is to try and sell 400 ranks of wood. I'll buy 200 and cut 200. That with spreading mulch,doing tree work,cutting a couple commercial properties(if i get the bid) and doing skid steer work I should be fine. I'm also going to log a couple small properties. The following year I hope to be at 600 ranks. This year I averaged $100 a rank for wood. We'll see what the future holds.

Scott