Pic's of your team/climbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by rumination
I didn't notice the spikes on the trim job either. Ya gotta learn to climb without those spikes, boy!

See, instead of telling me how much I suck you could tell me how much I have to learn and to keep at it that I may be good at it someday. Thank you rumination for not telling me how much I suck and that I am a disgrace to climbing...

Originally posted by Florida16

But aside from climbing, we are here for the same reason, to learn and why else would I be here if I didn't want help, instead of telling me how sorry I am and how much I suck because of my shirt or my PPE - Personal Protection Equipment, you could try to healp me to learn and walk me through stuff, telling me how I can be better. After all I don't climb because I see $$$ signs in the trees, I climb for the love of climbing and the passion I have at such a young age for trees.

If you all don't want me here I will leave. Like I said I am only here to learn and try to expand my climbing abilities/knowledge as far as I can...

I hear you, Fla16. But get used to the fact that people here will get all up in arms when they see something done horribly wrong. That is because they are also incredibly passionate about trees, and about doing tree work the right way. They may also be confusing your "youthful exuberance" with a lack of humility...

At any rate, I encourage you to stick around and keep asking questions, even if folks do get their undies tied in a knot. Just make sure that you listen to the advice that is given and institute the things you learn so that you can become a better climber and tree caregiver.

A few books I would recommend that will get you on your way to being a better treeworker: Certified Arborist Study Guide, Tree Climbers Companion, Modern Arboriculture. If you need help finding any of those books PM me and I'll point you in the right direction.

Be safe!

Originally posted by TreeJunkie
this will be my last attempt to reason w/ you...You may be the first person i'll actually place upon ignore.

Ummm, I don't think you tried any reason Brandon, just started to lay into him.

Maybe I should call you Rocky Jr.?

I guess FLA16 did not read a lot of the posts here, or he would have been more prepaired for the flames.

I do have to agree with some of the intent , if not the method of the critisism.

A real tree worker does not cut on a tree just because the client wants them to, he will try to find a resolution between the clients wants and the trees "needs".

Leaves are what contain the photosynthetics the plant uses to produce more tisssue. We call green tissue "dynamic mass" because it keeps the tree alive and growing, on a young plant it could be green bark too.

By removing too much, of this dynamic mass the tree needs to go into stored reserves to flush out new leaves. When you do a prune at 11 & 1 the tree is allways trying to catch up, grows slow, and is more suseptable to insects and diseases.

We would gladly try to help you learn more about tree care and physiology if you would like.

Next I will explain why hooking a trim is bad. If you would like me too....

I think I'm ready for the flames on this one, but may I ask what "hooking a trim" is?

Using spikes, gaffs, or hooks; whatever you call your climbing irons, to climb a tree you intend to keep.

Mike commented that your buddy was wearing gaffs while timming a live oak.

Is this the case or was it a removal?

Florida16,

Don't worry about it, 90% of the people in the
business around here are hacks and older
than you are. Get some PPE.

This link may help you understand how to prune palms.

I haven't been to a state which has palms growing native for probably >15 years. With that in mind, and without knowing too much about about proper palm pruning, I knew as soon as I saw that first pic that you took WAY too much.

As far as PPE goes, when I was your age I didn't wear PPE either. However a good friend of mine beat some sense into me and now I wear that stuff almost religiously, if I am climbing and don't have my helmet on I feel naked.

In regards to "wife beaters" I have seen a few people climbing in them. However, nobody I would actually work with ever wears them.

Originally posted by ptar
Florida16,

Don't worry about it, 90% of the people in the
business around here are hacks and older
than you are. Get some PPE.

This link may help you understand how to prune palms.

Wow, that website has taught me so much. Who would have known? I'm very sorry for trimming those plams the way I did now that I have seen the stuff on that website. Thanks so much.

WOW!!! It's amazing how constructive criticism can change someones attitude. I don't post much, mainly cause I'm pretty new to Arboriculture and just trying to soak up all the useful information this site provides.(not to mention all the drama, it's quite entertaining). All I have to say from a newbies point of view is this, sit back and learn all you can and ask questions regarding ANYTHING you're not comfortable with doing. Who knows, you might just save a tree(or your life).
Brandon

Wow, that website has taught me so much. Who would have known? I'm very sorry for trimming those plams the way I did now that I have seen the stuff on that website. Thanks so much.

Now go to a sponsors site and order the book "Tree climbers companion". And see if a local library has Modern Arboriculture or any other book by Shigo.

Originally posted by John Paul Sanborn
Now go to a sponsors site and order the book "Tree climbers companion". And see if a local library has Modern Arboriculture or any other book by Shigo.

I have bought "The Tree Climber's Companion"...

Re: Re: You could at least have the Co. name on those wife beaters.

So the public has little respect for our profession because the people doing it don't wear goggles, helmets, or ear muffs?

Why would the public care about the person that CHOOSES to do it that way? It's there body after all...

If you walk into the doctor's office, and he was dressed in a wife beater and shorts would you feel confident in his abilities?

You might be surprised, but clients think this; "if they care so little about themselves, what kind of care wiil they give my property?"

I also speak from experience. I started aroung heavy farm machinery at 14, got into tree work at 20. I never wore hearing protection till I was about 25. at 32 I've got about 40% hearing loss in my right ear. I've had several incidents which came close, and my head and eye protection served me well. The point is if you don't start now, when you're 16, it may be too late to develop good habits at 26 when you claim you'll be professional. I don't care if you wear wife beaters, get em silkscreened w/ co. logo or something. Be comfortable, but look good!

Sorry if I get PO'd but when someone hurts themselves doing tree work (even Homeowners), they become an accident statistic in our industry. That costs everyone doing buisiness money due to higher insurance risk ratings, etc.

One final note: Hard hat, earplugs and safety glasses-approx $75.00-100.00
Cost of an ER visit for a head or eye injury: care to guess? How about the cost of lost work time?

You should at least have safety glasses on at all times. When climbing it's real easy for a stick to poke you in the eye. I know someone that has had this happen and lost his vision in that eye.

As far as wearing a tank top, that is very un-professional. Looking professional is important if you actually care about your business. Uniforms and safety gear make a company look good. Customers notice this. I had one customer compliment me on how my crew had all of their safety gear and that I was wearing a harness while in the bucket. People are more comfortable around a respectable crew. One lady even commented on how she didn't feel uneasy about letting her kids come out and talk with us when we were on a break.

Even the trucks need to look professional. When I got rid of my stake body with plywood and got a truck with a forrestry body, my business increased dramatically because I looked like a pro.

The main advantages of looking like a professional is that you can charge more and you get more and better customers.

BTW, Me and members of my crew have had limbs come down and hit us on our hardhats. I had 4" diameter crooked limb that was being grabbed by the feed rollers whack me in the head. It knocked my hardhat off but I didn't suffer any damage.

It's better to learn from other peoples mistakes.

Chad,

If you're doing something for pay, particularly on a regular basis, you are a professional.  That does not mean, however, that your performance is at a "professional" level.

What have you heard from your insurance company regarding limitations due to your age, and have you ever posted to this site as "beginner"?  Just a couple of questions that seem to be on your ignore list...

Glen

Re: Re: You could at least have the Co. name on those wife beaters.

So the public has little respect for our profession because the people doing it don't wear goggles, helmets, or ear muffs?

Why would the public care about the person that CHOOSES to do it that way? It's there body after all...

Who cares what the public thinks. No, let me correct myself. You should care what the public thinks, because you have to look at them as a possible client in the future. Personaly I would't want some "half a$$ fly by night looking company" on my estate.

P.S It's not only what the public thinks, what about OSHA.

P.S It's not only what the public thinks, what about OSHA.

OSHA is back a few spots in the "I care about you" line. If your parents knew that you aren't wearing basic PPE what would they say? How about your girlfriend. [I hope you don't have kids yet :) ] All of these people have a stake in our lives. We owe them the respect to take care of ourselves so that we get to grow into old age with as much grace as the trees we take care of. Would you allow a friend to put their hand in fire? Those of us who didn't have the opportunity to learn proper treework from the beginning are trying to help you avoid the mistakes, accidents and near misses that we've encountered. Once you know of a climber who has a serious accident or dies, your attitude my change. I hope so. Mine did when I lost a close friend.

You said that you bought The Tree Climber's Companion. That is wonderful. But it won't do you any good until you sit down with a highlighter and study the book. Read the words and do the tests at the end. I'll know that you've read the book when you find the three references to me in the book :) Now, time for some homework!

Tom Dunlap

PS Ask a client what they think about your crew wearing "wife beaters" on the job. More specifically, ask any wife. Let us know the results of the poll.

Not that I am 100% certain, but I think that was a brush off. If he already has the TCC then why still no helmet?

Originally posted by Tom Dunlap
If your parents knew that you aren't wearing basic PPE what would they say?
Tom, he works for/with his dad.

Glen

Back