pictures of log loads then and now

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was my guess but why cut em short? Is there some equipment requirement at the plant that requires short logs?

Harry K

That's a good question. I don't cut pulp myself,as you have to be doing huge volume jobs to make it pay. I would think (and I may be wrong) that it has more to do with the nature of the logs suitable for pulp as opposed to a mill requirement. The guys that I know who cut pulp do so as a by-product of regular sawlog harvesting. As a result you are ending up with low grade, small diameter, short length logs going to pulp. I also suppose the pulp mills could be asking for standard length to make it easier to stack and handle material in their yards.

Any pulp guys out there have some real world insight?

log loads

great pictures you posted RAY BENSON

here is 5 more pictures:cheers:

trees

Those pics are what I call TREES!!!!!:clap: :hmm3grin2orange:

Weird photos of the trucks in Michigan. 90 degree difference in loading than we have here in the west.

there was some issues with the logs being carried side ways like that. something to do with logs being able to slide off the side of the trucks. not sure what came of it, but they still carry them that way.
those trucks can weigh 158,000 legally going down the road, the only problem is when they lift the 4 lift axles, then the front axle gets alot of extra weight.

Left hand drive?

attachment.php

Pulp logs... I see.

Those are pulp logs.

Hmmm, most pulp logs out here in the west are loaded like mill logs. Lengthwise. Pulp and chip prices have been low out here for a long while, so not much cutting around here for that. Doug fir prices are way down, and cutting is way down as a result. Mills are laying off too. Alder prices are way up now though. Has me thinking of maybe doing some serious alder cutting here... for some cash-o-la. We have some nice stands of alder that I am clearing roads into this week. No one likes to cut them though; they tend to crack and split when felling.

Mill log bucking to specified length is very important though. Cut your logs the wrong length and they will ding you seriously at the mill. A guy I know a few miles from here was mad becasue he cut his logs longer than the mill wanted them, and they charged him for cutting them to the right length, and did not pay for the added length that they cut off. He still does not understand why. Bone headed... the mill wants a certain length, you buck a certain length. Doh!

Last edited:
ray benson i had that five house's enoute picture but yours is
better, mine is black & white

here's more pic's

:cheers:

Anudder reason for short logs back there is that (in wisconsin) they use processors and forwarders. Total mechanization. Doesn't take long for a good processor operator to cut up a tree. Takes a lot of room to turn around one of those trucks, though.

The pulp mills in the Northeast switched to 4-footers quite a few years ago. It made driving the short logs down the rivers a bit different then they were used to.

ray benson i like that wagon load pic. could tip over easily,
the log sleds must of been hard on the horse's back then
cool pic's

dan dill, your pictures are fine, i like the train loads
neat old picture

What are these guys waiting for a strong wind. :biggrinbounce2: Ain't no way that team of horses are going to move that. I think back then they did load up and wait for snow but then why are the horses hooked up?:monkey:

attachment.php

i know it dont look like 4 horses could move that, they could be laying
down planking to slide it on, but the guy standing next to the horse's
dont look like he fits in with the rest of the guys:Eye:

Latest posts

Back