pictures of log loads then and now

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soil compaction, mostly

Windthrown, what kind of damage is it? Possibly in spite of and not because of horses? Or the damage was because of poor felling?

Soil compaction in the skid runs and on the logging deck area here that the new house is built on now. Compared to the cable yarded areas done in the 1980s where there is less visible remains and the logging was done far more recently. I am busting up the compacted areas with sub-soiling and dozing with a blade, but the clay is really really hard there.

This place has logging history all over it. Old camp sites, old cable yarding equipment, buried cables all over, discarded chainsaw bars (I will post photos of a 'new' one that the dogs dug up), old giant hand saw blades, piles of sawn cedar planks milled here on site, an old saw mill on a creek (saw, blades, and rubber dam and pipes), a huge berm that was built over 100 years ago to divert the streams into a log flume, rail lines from a narrow gauge rail that ran out here in the 1920's, cedar spars 15 ft high that have springboard notches cut into them, old engines and pump housings, tons of stumps and spars, 3-4 ft logs from 10-20 ft laying here and there, several eras of skid roads, and oddball stuff.

There is also obvious evidence that the native Indians here burned this area to clear some of the pastures and fields that are still here. No stumps in there, and surrounded by oaks and maples that are old growth (200-400 years old). The only way that they could be that old and free of competing conifers is by regular burning. David Douglas noted the summer burning in this area when he was here doing surveys in the 19th century. There has been some debate that the holes in one of the upper pastures here are old teepee pole holes. Hard to say if they are that or fence post holes.

horse vs cable logging

I guess it's hard to really compare cable yarding and skidding to the effects on the soil. The only comparable part is the yarding area.
With all of the history on your spread, how can you ascertain which type of logging had the worst effect? It sounds like every type of logging might have been done there.
Not picking, just asking.

Bad day in Oz

Great pics everyone, here are a few pics from a little problem a driver had, everyone in town came out to have a look. Ol' mate pulled up for a lunch break at his house in town, when got his first mouth-full his daughter hollers out"dad, your truck is driving away" I think his first thought was "ya, right, tell me another one" he turned around and sure enough it was rolling away and he got out of his house just in time to see it pull up in the creek. I got into town just as it happened and got a few pics of it as we were sorting things out. Manged to pull the rear trailer back loaded and then unloaded the lead trailer. When the truck was pulled out we were getting crayfish out of the mud that was stuck in the bull bar. Everything was fine with the machinery, looked worse than it was, only a quick weld job on the bull bar.

A few truck loads

I used to cut Cypress Pine in central Queensland for a number of years, the first three photo's are some of the pine I cut from the Injune Queensland area. The last pic is a load of Forest Red gum and Spotted gum going into the hardwood mill in Wondai Queensland, 9 log load. The day before he brought in 7 logs for one load, doesn't happen very often these days, makes me wish I was still cutting. The skidder driver was complaining a bit, took a while for the old 230D timberjack to get them out to a landing.

ray benson
i like pic 39 its like the tractor pulls

heres a few more,

still growing in northern CA.

we went here on a trip in the 1980's it was amazing,:clap:

more pic's of are trip, the old log you walk through it, :biggrinbounce2:

in the picture its still standing but it should be lumber by now. there's still some big wood around here. this one was about 6 ft. dbh.

Back